The BEST way to mine diamond, layer 11(12.620) and you.
Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:13 PM
EDIT: revised to go better with IscopeU's video. HOPE IT HELPS!
heres an awesome video of the technique made by IscopeU.
so i noticed after the beta update that there seemed to be an increase to the number/size of deep lava pools being generated compared to alpha and decided to put an old theory of mine to the test. due to the seemingly higher lava pool generation, the probability of your finding mineral deposits surrounding these would also increase. THIS IS NOT DUE TO INCREASED MINERAL GENERATION SURROUNDING LAVA POOLS BUT BECAUSE OF THE INCREASED VISIBILITY LAVA POOLS WILL GIVE YOU, WHICH IN TURN INCREASES YOUR EFFICIENCY, similar to natural cave systems.
ive always thought that layer 12(when you hold F3 it should display your y coordinates as 12.6435435 or something) would be a great place to mine but always came up about even in terms of diamond finds when compared to more traditional 1x2 branch mines i was using on layers 6-14. layer 12 has a unique feature that no other layer in the game has, its the only place you can find large lava pools. you essentially want to use a bucket of water to turn these pools into a giant obsidian "highway" for you to walk on.
*THERE ARE MANY NUANCES TO THIS TECHNIQUE AS YOU ARE FREQUENTLY SPELUNKING TO FIND YOUR DIAMONDS AND MAY NOT BE FOR BEGINNERS WHO ARE EXPECTING TO MINDLESSLY MINE IN A STRAIGHT LINE AND FIND 345735983457934 DIAMONDS*
you will need to use your knowledge, intuition, experience and a little bit of luck for good results. just digging in a straight line may not yield as expected.
KEY THINGS TO NOTE THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN IN THE ABOVE VIDEO-
1. you will NEED a bucket of water, just do it.
2. its a good idea to dig around lava pools with no exposed rock to check for adjoining pools/cave systems.
3. CHECK CAVES THOROUGHLY!!! IscopeU almost walks straight past the 2nd diamond vein in the above video simply because it was not easily visible.
4. BE AWARE. listen for water/monters/dungeons to help guide you to nearby caves.
5. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR WHEN BUILDING YOUR MINE! i suggest building your mine above or even inside(i generally build inside and use a 2x1 shaft with ladders straight down) large surface cave systems. this can dramatically increase the chance you will hit a deep cave network with all the "noise" in those chunks. i will generally hit large cave networks around layers 15-20 before i can even finish my main shaft when doing this.
6. DONT BE AFRAID TO START A NEW MINE!! when youre covering the kind of ground you should be in cave systems, you may end up with a HUGE sprawling "mine" and few unexplored caves nearby. dont be scared to go out into the world and start a new mine a thousand blocks away, link everything with nether portals. theyre in the game for a reason, what takes an hour to walk in the overworld takes 5mins in the nether. i realize that it wont be "next to your spawn", dont care. make a bed and you have a brand new spawn... so stop being a wuss and get out there exploring your infinite world to get your hands on some of those infinite diamonds!
7. its often a good idea to check around other mineral deposits for diamond even when youre not mining it. redstone can be a good indicator for diamond, gold ive found, is generally the opposite. The texture pack in the pic below is long lost in the old beta forums, so dont ask what it is, i dont know.
Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:30 PM
Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:36 PM
either way great guide. i will be trying this soon
Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:41 PM
either way great guide. i will be trying this soon
Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:31 PM
Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:49 PM
kudos to you sir!
Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:01 PM
EDIT : I guess I have to give it credit as a good way to find unflooded deep caves. According to the old mining thread, diamonds are found from layer 1 to 16 (and sometimes 17 but more rarely), and magma pools are found in any caves that is at or below layer 10, kinda like the sea level.
Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:18 PM
Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:23 PM
Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:33 PM
I don't think this is true. Ever single diamond I've found is my hollowing out the area around a lava pool. Hater's gonna hate our lava method I say.
Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:03 PM
Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:28 PM
EDIT : Here are a few cartograph shots of a newly generated map, with only lava and diamonds shown. No signs of any correlation.
Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:28 PM
Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:57 PM
Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:16 PM
EDIT : Here are a few cartograph shots of a newly generated map, with only lava and diamonds shown. No signs of any correlation. ]
I overlayed the two maps. There are a large number of instances of diamonds touching the lava. Mining efficiency is 'number of exposed sides/time' using this method you are exposing a large number of sides in a very short amount of time.
IIRC, the chance that any tile contains diamons is static at around .3%. This doesnt change if a tile is touching lava or not.
Im my base I have a tunnel that on a 1/3 grade down to level 13, then straight on from there. I mine at night, build during the day. This method has givien me a much more efficient way to spend my nights, and get a bunch of obsian with out dealing with a farm.
Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:36 PM
Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:41 PM
diamonds can be found in other places but in layer something to 18 they will be found in groups .. so the best place to mine is there
Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:12 PM
All i did was dig a 1x2 tunnel in a straight line and diamond started popping up on the walls of my tunnel layer 12 is most definitely the secret to finding diamond.