• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Daruna
    Daruna

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

My PC overheats when minecraft is running on it.  I have investigated the cause and believe it is related to the performance option in the graphics menu.  If I select power saver mode the game runs at a healthy 40fps (approx), any of the other two options and the fps rockets up to around 320fps and my graphics card reaches temperatures of around 100 degrees!

To put this in perspective I whitness around 60 degrees in Skyrim, WoW, Darkness 2, KoA and so forth.

As a final note I have attempted to limit the fps in Minecraft using the Vsync option in the Nvidia control panel.  Even though I select force Vsync the game continues to try and run at ridiculous speeds.

My spec:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.111118-2330)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6136MB RAM
Page File: 4968MB used, 7300MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Register or log in to remove.

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4922 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Check for dust in your PC, vents not obstructed, fans all operational.

IwinFTW
    IwinFTW

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Minecraft: IwinFTW

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

View Postgerbil, on 24 March 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

If it was dusty then why does he only reach 60 degrees on other games, and not Minecraft?
To OP do you mean degrees Fahrenheit or Centigrade?

Daruna
    Daruna

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostIwinFTW, on 24 March 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

If it was dusty then why does he only reach 60 degrees on other games, and not Minecraft?
To OP do you mean degrees Fahrenheit or Centigrade?

Celcius

View Postgerbil, on 24 March 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

My pc is spotless

IwinFTW
    IwinFTW

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Minecraft: IwinFTW

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostDaruna, on 24 March 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Celcius
Your PC is reaching 100 degrees Celsius?! Get some more efficient fans, my friend, 212 degrees Fahrenheit is very damaging to some computer parts. You could melt your motherboard.

Daruna
    Daruna

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

Thank you for your advice regarding cooling.  Im here for advice regarding minecraft exclusively.  That is why I decided not to go into great detail about my pc which is more than well cooled. Of course I am not stupid enough to allow anything on my motherboard reach temperatures of the scale im recording from my gfx card.  The model I use (GTX) traditionally gets very hot but not to this level.

I have clearly explained above in my first post the cause of the overheating.  Kindly please no more posts about dust and fans etc.  I would appreciate it if any of you know how to limit the frame rate of the software to decrease the load on my gfx card.

For reference I have included a screenshot showing some typical behaviour, I halted the test early as the temperature was rising beyond my comfort zone (note the 162fps):

Posted Image

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4922 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

And my point was that a properly designed and operating computer should not care how fast you try to go, it shouldn't melt itself into a pile of slag.

If it's overheating and clean  then it lacks adequate cooling.
It's a piss poor design and a P.o.S.

It's like a car with a JATO bolted onto the roof.  It can go real fast, but you're going to die if you try to use it.

Whatever.   VSync should work.  Did you try setting it as a global setting or as a program override?

Daruna
    Daruna

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Ill consider this thread a submission of an error report only as nobody has returned with a meaningful reply.

FYI Gerbil you have contributed absolutely utterly nothing with your uninformed garbage replies.  My case in an Antec Lanboy, it has a thermaltake frio for the processor (both fans) and a further 7 fans in the case and the standard one on my gfx card.

I am a mechanical engineer with a full understanding of fluid dynamics required to direct air appropriately through my machine and just for measure it was the fail safes for my system that alerted me to the problems in the first place even though I was in another part of my home.  So kindly wind your neck in.

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4922 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.  If for no other reason than this is a User to User forum.  There are no Mojang employees here.

Actually, looking at that screen shot, you can see that the fan is not kicking in adequately.
You said that you stopped because the temperature was getting too high for your comfort, yet the fan is working to only a fraction of its capacity.  Why isn't it running more to apply more cooling?  I'm assuming that this metric is specifically the fan on the video card, so all those other fans don't matter.  At least not directly.  They get the heat out of the chassis, but first the heat has to be drawn out of the chips with a decent heat sink (and good thermal paste), and then pushed away from the board.

And just to be clear,  I'm not saying that you don't have a problem, I'm merely saying that you are looking for a solution in the wrong place.   You may be an ME, but I'm a Computer Engineer.   In modern software design it is not the responsibility of Applications (e.g. minecraft)  to concern itself with hardware.  Hardware vendors build their components and they should design in hardware fail safes and protections if they want to deliver a quality product.  And on top of that they provide the software drivers that control their hardware.  If there is anything about the hardware that any software needs to concern itself with,  then that must be coded into the driver.   On top of the low level drivers, the vendor also provides high level drivers (like Direct X and Open GL)  that implement industry standard generic APIs,  which application software then uses in a generic fashion.
The applications don't care what hardware they are running on, as long as it provides the right API.

90% of the performance complaints on the forum are that minecraft runs too slowly by the way.  You may be one of the only people to ever complain that it goes too fast.

Edited by gerbil, 25 March 2012 - 02:10 PM.

Darkestcloud

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:25 AM

Have you tried using optifine? It has a built in vsync option.

supertrev31
  • Minecraft: supertrev31

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

you could try opening task manager and lowering the priority which might lower the ram being used...
Posted Image

FD_godzz
  • Minecraft: ashrobhoy

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

This happens on my labtop it gets it to 70 C
On my new pc IT actuly heats it up considerbly
The version i started noticing this in was 1.7 beta

goeiecool9999

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Funny fact: in one of the updates from minecraft it said added frame rate limit to title screen so it no longer melts my pc. So this means Mojang had the same problem!