237 replies to this topic

Orreven
    Orreven

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Minecraft: Orreven

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

I have always been puzzled by the wave of people who hate jews.  I mean, they say they hate Hitler because he hated Jews, but then they go out saying crap like "It's because your a jew", or acting like it is wrong to be a jew.  I am Christian, but I believe that there is no logic behind this belief whatsoever.  It is like saying everyone in America is a pompous tourist who watches baseball, loves apple pie, is obese, and lots of other iconic "American" things.
For backwards time travel to be possible, wouldn't every instant in the universe have to be stored somewhere, or time to be something physical you could travel through? Either way doesn't work with the current laws of physics.

Register or log in to remove.

_Myst
    _Myst

Retired Loompa

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

Never met a person of Jewish decent nor religion.

I do not have enough information to accurately form an opinion on them.

horahora~

Posted Image

pwntpants
  • Minecraft: TheTurbanat0r00

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

View PostOrreven, on 23 March 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

I have always been puzzled by the wave of people who hate jews.  I mean, they say they hate Hitler because he hated Jews, but then they go out saying crap like "It's because your a jew", or acting like it is wrong to be a jew.  I am Christian, but I believe that there is no logic behind this belief whatsoever.  It is like saying everyone in America is a pompous tourist who watches baseball, loves apple pie, is obese, and lots of other iconic "American" things.

Lol. The funny thing is, tons of people from outside of the U.S. ACTUALLY think we are all like that. Either that, or those people are just trying to stir shit up by using stereotypes.

Nonetheless, I honestly don't know. We learned about the holocaust in 8th grade and since then, people just say stuff about jews all the time, as if they're bad people. Not as much anymore, but yeah it really kicked off back then when we learned about Anne Frank and stuff, which is surprising because you'd think they would NOT make fun of jews because of that..
Posted Image

zSneakyPetez

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

View Postpwntpants, on 23 March 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

Lol. The funny thing is, tons of people from outside of the U.S. ACTUALLY think we are all like that. Either that, or those people are just trying to stir shit up by using stereotypes.

Nonetheless, I honestly don't know. We learned about the holocaust in 8th grade and since then, people just say stuff about jews all the time, as if they're bad people. Not as much anymore, but yeah it really kicked off back then when we learned about Anne Frank and stuff, which is surprising because you'd think they would NOT make fun of jews because of that..
You can make fun of anybody... No one should be off limits.
i7-2600k @ 4.6 | HIS HD 6990 | 8GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe

Orreven
    Orreven

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

View Postpwntpants, on 23 March 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

That's why I used those examples.
For backwards time travel to be possible, wouldn't every instant in the universe have to be stored somewhere, or time to be something physical you could travel through? Either way doesn't work with the current laws of physics.

pwntpants
  • Minecraft: TheTurbanat0r00

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostzSneakyPetez, on 23 March 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

You can make fun of anybody... No one should be off limits.
I'm not saying anyone is off limits. But after learning about the Holocaust, the mass genocide of millions of Jews, people immediately after start making fun of Jews? It disturbs me. Make fun of Jews for being greedy or having a big nose or whatever, but people making jokes about burning jews and such is a bit twisted if you ask me.
Posted Image

zSneakyPetez

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

View Postpwntpants, on 23 March 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

I'm not saying anyone is off limits. But after learning about the Holocaust, the mass genocide of millions of Jews, people immediately after start making fun of Jews? It disturbs me. Make fun of Jews for being greedy or having a big nose or whatever, but people making jokes about burning jews and such is a bit twisted if you ask me.
People make fun of Americans dying in 9/11. It's no different, and neither are a big deal really. Jokes are jokes, and should only be taken as such.
i7-2600k @ 4.6 | HIS HD 6990 | 8GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe

Orreven
    Orreven

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostzSneakyPetez, on 23 March 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

People make fun of Americans dying in 9/11. It's no different, and neither are a big deal really. Jokes are jokes, and should only be taken as such.

Ok, Whoever does that has no soul.  If you were in the 56th floor of a building that was just hit by a plane, on purpose, as a terrorist action, and you had the choice of burning to death or jumping to your death, wouldn't you find it a terrible thing for people to make jokes of?  Or if your family was killed in such an accident?  There are some things you can joke about, but others, (IE, Holocaust, 9-11, Crusades), that are just completely wrong in every possible way to joke about.

View Postpwntpants, on 23 March 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Would it make sense for people to start making fun of Chinese people for working in sweatshops, or to make fun of Asians in general for being on the shorter side?  Not really.  If someone were to slack off their whole life and then be suprised when they run out of money, would it be right to joke about that?  Yeah, of course.  General rule, it isn't joke material, if the subject of the joke had no control over said actions, or traits.

RevLong57
    RevLong57

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1429 posts
  • Minecraft: Revlong57

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

Well, Jews Killed Jesus. That's why we should hate them forever. Duh.
Posted Image

Orreven
    Orreven

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

View PostRevLong57, on 23 March 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Well, since you are using an arguement from the Bible, I may as well counter with another.  It was said in the Bible many times that that was all to God's plan.

Secondary point: Why do we blame people for things their ancestors did?  Do we blame the current day Germans for the holocaust?  Do we blame the current day Brits for taxing colonial America without letting America have a say in the government?  No.  It's passed, the current day people are not the same people, so drop it and let everyone get on with their lives!

RevLong57
    RevLong57

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1429 posts
  • Minecraft: Revlong57

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

View PostOrreven, on 23 March 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

Well, since you are using an arguement from the Bible, I may as well counter with another.  It was said in the Bible many times that that was all to God's plan.

Secondary point: Why do we blame people for things their ancestors did?  Do we blame the current day Germans for the holocaust?  Do we blame the current day Brits for taxing colonial America without letting America have a say in the government?  No.  It's passed, the current day people are not the same people, so drop it and let everyone get on with their lives!
The Joke.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your head. Posted Image  (In case you don't get it, my first comment was sarcasm.)
Posted Image

Orreven
    Orreven

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

View PostRevLong57, on 23 March 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

The Joke.
-snipped out-
Your head. Posted Image  (In case you don't get it, my first comment was sarcasm.)
Well, first off, I am like Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory), in that I don't quite guess sarcasm right ever.  Also, being through text where I can not hear different tones in your voice, that just makes it an extra step farther.   In case this seems like I am being overly-defensive, I am a defensive person.  I always feel as if I have to defend everything I say, down to its last kernel of worth.

Durracel
    Durracel

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3802 posts
  • Minecraft: Durracel

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

statisticly 9/11 Americans won't get this :D

View PostRevLong57, on 23 March 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

no Romans killed Jesus
Jesus was a Jew
and Christianity is a cult of Judaism.
the secret of flyiing
Spoiler:
Posted Image

dibinism
    dibinism

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • Minecraft: dibdin

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

People hate Jews for the same reason they might hate Muslims or Blacks. Ignorance of "the other" means they can be used as the scapegoat.

Raptor_Red
  • Location: The not so upside-down continent of Australia - Sydney
  • Minecraft: Raptor_Red

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hitler was against the Jews as he believed there sucssesfulness was driving Germanies econamy into the ground, besides that no other race has really hated the Jews, just used them as slaves and petty workers; think about it, the Chinese/Indonesians are basiclly our slaves - they spend their lives working in factories making luxiouries for us while working at a minimal pay, do you hate them?
Intrestingly enough, inspite of my suggestive avatar i've never posted or evn read an entire page of the team fortress thread.

Pandy_C
    Pandy_C

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 915 posts
  • Minecraft: Pandy_Caitiff

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

In medieval times Jewish moneylenders were restricted in how much interest they could charge to fellow Jews by the laws in the Torah. But these laws did not apply to outsiders and the lenders often charged vast sums to desperate people. This is where the stereotype of the greedy/money-loving Jew comes from.

These days the stereotyping is mostly pure prejudice based on things like the existence of a small number of very wealthy Jewish-owned businesses particularly in New York and London.

But there is also some hatred garnered by the actions of the state of Israel and particularly its treatment of the Palistinean peoples. Connected with this are conspiracy theories surrounding the Antidefamation League (an organisation that aims to combat prejudice against Jews and anti-semetism) suggesting they silence critics of Israel with bogus claims of anti-semetism. Reknowned crazy conspiracy theorist David Icke has been quote vocal in criticising the League.

Rainbow Dash: How will this end?
Fluttershy: In fire.

Metadigital
  • Minecraft: Metadigital

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

All the Jews I've ever known have been really neat people.

Of course, I should add, that all the Jews I've ever known have been atheists. =P

MrQuizzles
    MrQuizzles

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 4568 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

The hatred of the Jewish people is one that has been around for a very long time (1000 years or so) and exists in western culture almost solely because of Christianity.

Durracel
    Durracel

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3802 posts
  • Minecraft: Durracel

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostPandy_C, on 23 March 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

In medieval times Jewish moneylenders were restricted in how much interest they could charge to fellow Jews by the laws in the Torah. But these laws did not apply to outsiders and the lenders often charged vast sums to desperate people. This is where the stereotype of the greedy/money-loving Jew comes from.

also Christians and Muslim Doctrine at the time saw lending money for profit as a mortal sin (but not borrowing it only lending it) so jews lent vast sums of money to King's and the upper-classes charging insane amounts of interest
the secret of flyiing
Spoiler:
Posted Image

Calypo
    Calypo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4043 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

It's not like everyopne who tells a joke about Jewish people hates them. If that were true for every similar scenario, then everyone would hate everyone.
It still sickens me when people make holocaust jokes, though