• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.4.6]v2 Custom Ore Generation (updated Jan. 5th)

terrain ssp smp ore veins mining 1.4.6 1.4.7

• Please log in to reply
1297 replies to this topic

JRoush
    JRoush

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • Minecraft: JRoush

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

POPULAR

Custom Ore Generation
Last Update: January 5, 2013
Latest Version: v2 for Minecraft [1.4.6] or [1.4.7]

Description:
This mod allows the player to decide what ores are generated in their worlds and how they are distributed.  In addition to the vanilla "cluster" distribution it offers custom-written "vein" and "cloud" distributions.

Customization is the main goal of this mod.  Every aspect of the ore generation can be changed through the flexible config file and the more succinct in-game menu.  The config is set up to provide out-of-the-box support for several popular mods.  Configuration data for other mods can be easily added, and I am currently expanding the out-of-the-box support.  See the Configuration for a list, and fill out the mod support survey to request a standard config for a mod.

See the Algorithms section more more detail on what COG can do.  See the Configuration section for a quick overview of how to set up the mod.  More detailed documentation is available on the COG Wiki.
Wiki links: Wiki Home, The Standard Config, Editing the Config File, Distribution Algorithms

A note: there are many ore- and world-generation mods out there.  I wasn't happy with any of them, so I wrote my own.  Naturally I like my implementation the best, but other authors have done amazing work.  Shop around!

Distribution Algorithms (and pics):
Spoiler:

Client Download & Installation:
Spoiler:

Server Download & Installation:
Spoiler:

Configuration:
Spoiler:

Known Issues:
Spoiler:

Change Log:
Spoiler:

Acknowledgements:
Cadde, for permission to include an algorithm closely based on his OreVeins mod.
Risugami, SDK, and the MCP team for all their hard work to make modding easier.
Mojang, for a wonderful game.
Everyone who has posted supportive feedback in this thread - I appreciate it!

Copywrite Notice:
This mod is the intellectual property of the author.  Anyone may reproduce or redistribute it freely or alter or borrow from it for other works, provided that they include visible written credit to the author.  No permission is required so long as credit is given.  The source code for this mod is freely available on request.

Register or log in to remove.

Brona Pretolus

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

Sweet mod. I've used other ore distribution change mods before, but most made the ores spawn in densly-packed clouds, not veins. This is definitely the one I'll use now!

TFCxAddict
  • Minecraft: TFCxAddict

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

Very well done! +1 ^_^

Posted Image

LiamDude511

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

BOOKMARKING!
Posted Image

AbyssWulf
  • Minecraft: WolfOf7

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:14 AM

It seem simply fantastic.

--->Posted Image <---

Aceras
    Aceras

Carpenter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Minecraft: Aceras

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

This is awesome! Much better than the usual ore generation, as Brona said. It's nice to see actual veins rather than just larger chunks.

Any chance of this eventually working with multiplayer? Without just spawning a map in SP, exploring and copying it over, i mean.

Sodisna
    Sodisna

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • Minecraft: Sodisna

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

How are the height values define? Like what if I want an ore from another mod to spawn above 64y but below 90y.

mDiyo
    mDiyo

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

This looks awesome, and I'd love to use it for my own ores! Interested in sharing? ^^;;
Posted Image

JRoush
    JRoush

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies.  I hope that the mod lives up to the positive expectations.

EDIT: The rest of this post is now out of date.
Spoiler:

Sodisna
    Sodisna

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1234 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

Awesome. So I could so 64/256 and still get the same value, just do some rounding?

JRoush
    JRoush

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostSodisna, on 22 March 2012 - 05:33 AM, said:

So I could so 64/256 and still get the same value, just do some rounding?
Yes, 64/256 = 0.25 and 90/256 = 0.35 with rounding.

Aceras
    Aceras

Carpenter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Minecraft: Aceras

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostJRoush, on 22 March 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

Shouldn't be hard to do.  I'm looking into MP support now.

Great! Can't wait!

JRoush
    JRoush

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

A new version is now out.  There have been some significant changes:
  • Updated for Minecraft 1.2.4
  • Support for SMP!  A version of the mod for minecraft servers is now available.
  • No more base class edits.  The mod no longer makes any changes to the core minecraft classes.  It should now be compatible with nearly any other mod.
  • Simplified Installation.  The mod is now installed in the /mods folder rather than dumped directly into the .jar archives.
  • Height values given meters.  Height averages, ranges, and limits in the config file are now expected in meters rather than as a fraction of the total map height.
  • Config file name changed.  The config file is now named CustomOreGen_Config.xml.  The old config file, OreVeinsConfig.xml, will be *ignored*.  Make sure to transfer any customizations from 1.2.3 to the new config file.
  • New vein parameter: BranchHeightLimit.  Veins can now be prevented from extending too far upward or downward.
  • Bugfix: long branches.  Vein branch length is no longer silently limited to 140m.
  • Major tweaks to default ore distributions.  The default ore distributions have been redone (improved, hopefully).

Sodisna
    Sodisna

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1234 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Nice, I was waiting for this to be updated.

ChandlerBingUA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thank you, very necessary thing. Great that the vanilla files are not changed - that all developers would have done so)). Necessarily look mod and report bugs, wishes
Do not be surprised - my English is Google translate. I never play Minecraft without these mods:
ExtraBiomesXl, Industrial Craft, Build Craft, LCTrees++, Metallurgy, Railcraft, Smart Moving, Forestry, Jammy Furniture Mod, Kaevator Super Slopes, Xtra Blocks, ReiMinimap, CraftGuide.

ChandlerBingUA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

hm... can you the config file change to simple txt?
Do not be surprised - my English is Google translate. I never play Minecraft without these mods:
ExtraBiomesXl, Industrial Craft, Build Craft, LCTrees++, Metallurgy, Railcraft, Smart Moving, Forestry, Jammy Furniture Mod, Kaevator Super Slopes, Xtra Blocks, ReiMinimap, CraftGuide.

zipybug14

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

I found a bug (old version for 1.2.3)

Spoiler:

I haven't updated to 1.2.4 because of the mods I use.
edit: I found the problem.  I wrote the config wrong.

JRoush
    JRoush

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostChandlerBingUA, on 30 March 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

hm... can you the config file change to simple txt?
Not without including a 3rd party program to read it, and I don't want to deal with the headache of the legal complications.  Sorry Posted Image

View Postzipybug14, on 30 March 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

I found a bug (old version for 1.2.3)

I assume this crash was due to an incorrect blockID in the config file.  Glad you caught and fixed it.

PieceMaker

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Any chance for per-biome settings such as Marcopolo's Better Ore Distribution mod?
I find your distribution better but really like the per-biome concept.

ChandlerBingUA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostJRoush, on 30 March 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Not without including a 3rd party program to read it, and I don't want to deal with the headache of the legal complications.  Sorry Posted Image

I assume this crash was due to an incorrect blockID in the config file.  Glad you caught and fixed it.
understand... its not critical, i think
i have a question; how i can to config when the ore has this id's:
screen
i try to wrote 145:3 but nothing found