Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft on the Cr-48 Google Chrome Laptop

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

hyp3rdriv3
  • Minecraft: hyp3rdriv3

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

I have gotten it to run till it right before you get to the menu. Than, it looks for XrandR, and dies. If someone can tar.gz their i386 one + libraries (type in Linux ldd xrandr) and give me the paths they go in, I bet I can get this to work. How to coming soon.
Carry on my wayward son, There'll be peace when you are done.
Lay your weary head to rest, Don't you cry no more.

Register or log in to remove.

Galaksee

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

Did you buy the game?
"If you could be any mob, which would it be?"
Posted Image
gif by quadkillz

hyp3rdriv3

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

Yes... I was talking about the menu where you pick single or multi player.

vibbix
    vibbix

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

My dad signed up for one... Minecraft needs alot of power and a Chrome-book probably wont handle it.
Posted Image

Flygonair said:

You ate a ghast?

sand500
    sand500

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

how'd u get one? i want one...
I shoot my arrows in the air sometimes saying ay-oh, creeper's KO'd
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=k2rDbRUDkds[/media]

hyp3rdriv3

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:04 AM

Hey, everyone. I got it working! Here is a how to.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!
Chrome OS is VERY buggy. I did this using the most up-to-date version in Developer Mode. To activate developer mode follow the instructions here: http://www.chromium.... ... nformation . Switching to developer mode will nuke your file system, so backup everything!!! I am not responsible for any loses due to this tutorial!

Step 1: Breaking Security

Chrome OS has many layers of security. There is one in general that we need to shut down. First, assuming your in Developer Mode, it won't work any other way) press Ctrl+Alt+T and then type the following:
shell
sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd --remove_rootfs_verification
sudo reboot

This will make your computer reboot, and will make it to where we can follow the next step. When you are booted up, logged in, press Ctrl+Alt+T and type the following:
shell
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo mount -o remount,exec /mnt/stateful_partition
sudo mount -i -o remount,exec /home/chronos/user

You just broke security. Now, DO NOT press a button on the terminal.

Step 2: Starting Minecraft

Type this in terminal:
cd ~
wget -O java.tar.gz http://dl.dropbox.com/u/588361/java.tar.gz
tar -xvf java.tar.gz
cd jre1.6.0_23

This will download a pre-extracted version of Java 1.6.0R23, and put it in /home/chronos/user. Than you need to add that to your path. Type:
qemacs ~/.bashrc
and a new window will come up. Under the line that says:
# Put your fun stuff here.
type the following EXACTLY:
PATH=$PATH:/home/chronos/user/jre1.6.0_23/bin
export $PATH
and then press Ctrl+X followed by Ctrl+S and Ctrl+X followed by Ctrl+C. Than when you are back at the command line, type exit twice, and you should see Chrome. Than just press Ctrl+Alt+T and type shell at the "crash>" prompt. Than type the following:
cd ~
wget -O minecraft.jar http://minecraft.net/download/Minecraft.jar?v=1293417434348
java -jar minecraft.jar
If all goes well, in a few seconds, you will have Minecraft updating. It may take a few try's before it will work, but it does.

Now, at every reboot, you will have to retype the mount commands. If someone could make a shell script that would both install this, and configure the environment when someone starts Minecraft, that would be great. Thanks for reading my tutorial!

hyp3rdriv3

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

Update:
I have created a shell script to prep your Cr-48 to launch Minecraft
#!/bin/bash
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo mount -o remount,exec /mnt/stateful_partition
sudo mount -i -o remount,exec /home/chronos/user
Just run this and your good till reboot.
Working on a installer.....

EmVee
    EmVee

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Minecraft: EmilVee

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:20 AM

I tried your instructions, but the terminal returns the message sudo: /usr/share/vboot/make_dev_ssd: command not found ; so I can't go ahead. Not very well versed in linux at all, could you please offer some help?

YouTube + Minecraft = Politely toned, slightly kooky good guy.
MeCraft = Survival

Pxl_Buzzard

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

I've made it through your instructions just fine, but when I run Minecraft it tells me "Failed to launch, Critical error occured (4): /root/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl.jar (No such file or directory)." Any ideas? And thanks for the tutorial to get it running ^_^

terratempest

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

@EmVee
try this instead
shell
sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification
sudo reboot

I've managed to get it to the point that it loads up but just sits there before it goes to the main menu.

Edit:
Got minecraft running by installing ubuntu. Definitely not worth it, even on lowest setting the game is just too slow to be playable, you may be able to play it if you're really tolerant of low fps

TonFTP
    TonFTP

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Pxl_Buzzard said:

I've made it through your instructions just fine, but when I run Minecraft it tells me "Failed to launch, Critical error occured (4): /root/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl.jar (No such file or directory)." Any ideas? And thanks for the tutorial to get it running :P

Try running the command to start minecraft as root (sudo)  This resolved the issue for me.

DarthCaniac
  • Minecraft: DarthCaniac

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:08 AM

I followed all the directions, but when the game finally launches, as soon as it downloads all its stuff and I hit login, the screen goes black (except the mouse still works) and won't do anything anymore :)
I can alt+tab into my other tabs and type in the bash window, but it does not pick up any of the commands. I have to power-button the device to get the black gamescreen to close. :D
Joshua Pedroza, VP of Operations - E-Mail: [email protected]

ImaCREEPER

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:29 AM

hyp3rdriv3 said:

I have gotten it to run till it right before you get to the menu. Than, it looks for XrandR, and dies. If someone can tar.gz their i386 one + libraries (type in Linux ldd xrandr) and give me the paths they go in, I bet I can get this to work. How to coming soon.

You are the most luck guy ever! I wish I could get  :Diamond:s like that! Other than that, I have no idea about what you should do.

ffpsx
    ffpsx

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Look at what I did with my Chrome Notebook (CR-48)

Hello, My name is Robert and I am a student at the University of Houston. I created a Minecraft commercial spot for a class project. We are graded based on the number of views. I was wondering if you could help me out by posting my video on your blog. Check it out here:    

Thank you so much for your support and I hope you will consider helping me out. :D
Keep Crafting,
Robert Smith

super-6-1
  • Minecraft: super_6_1

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:55 PM

Ok, so i got it working and updated. Now when it does to the selct screen its black. Nothing any ideas?
Posted Image

canaday426
  • Minecraft: canaday426

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

its
sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification
you forgot the .sh

Posted Image
A 32x32 texture pack that keeps faithful to the original textures, items, and gui.

Dantevortex
  • Minecraft: dantevortex

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

Ah a Unix based thread. It's been a while.

Have you at least updated the Java Libraries? I have seen other threads about Java running the menu, but crashing when entering worlds.

Just checking.

Edit:

It also seems to stall when the graphic calculation heats up. Maybe it could also be some graphics driver issue, otherwise, try the default settings for 3D performance.
Mongoose Craft public vanilla server is now closed, thank you for playing.

FuelCell250

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

How well does Minecraft (We are on 1.5 right now) run on the CR-48? Not only does it look like a few minutes of work to get it running, I don't want to wipe out the filesystem only to find that Minecraft runs but is unplayable.

Also, after installing Java, does it run strait out of the browser?