• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

my computer 6 ticks!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

THESPECINATOR

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

I just have finished my proof of concept on my 6 tick computer. It uses instant wire to do everything. It has a 13 function ALU currently and 15 bytes of RAM. I only have 1 line of ROM hooked up for testing, and no real output area. It runs on a series of pulses that instant wire make. It does not work a whole lot like other computers do so I will soon write a small explanation on how everything works.

I have made 2 videos on the basics, the first is an overview along with showing that it can handle the 6-tick speed. The second shows the ALU binary functions.

For those of you that don't want to watch the videos, here are some screenshots

Here is an overview:
Posted Image

Here are the individual RAM cells
Posted Image

Here is the top view of the RAM
Posted Image

A view of the ALU
Posted Image

The random number generator (I forgot who came up with this design)
Posted Image

Control Panel/ 1 line of ROM
Posted Image

CPU clock (just so there is no confusion)
Posted Image

Some stuff I should get out of the way:

can it run minecraft in minecraft? NO

Will it have a GPU? eventually, I first plan on just a number screen

Will it have branching? YES, conditional (with select-able conditions) and unconditional

Why just 1 line of RAM? This is a just a proof of concept

Why a stacked ALU instead of one of the fancy ones? fancy ones lend themselves to errors, along with this being the first single wire instant ALU, i do plan to compact it later though.

Why is the ALU 13 function? it supports up to 16, but I removed 2 and never used 0000 as an address, I plan to add some adder type functions though.

I see repeaters, but you call it instant? repeaters are used to eliminate nano-ticks, also instant wire can run at 6 ticks at the fastest so I see no reason to make everything 1 tick as long as it all gets done in 6 ticks.

There are lots of things that could be eliminated and look useless, why are they still there? hindsight is 20/20, I did not feel like redoing everything to save 1 block of space, plus I want it to work and be easy to error check.

ALU Explanation:
Spoiler:

RAM Explanation:
Spoiler:

ROM Explanation:
Spoiler:

Branching Explanation:
Spoiler:

Random Number Generator:
Spoiler:

Multiplexer Explanation:
Spoiler:

GPU Explanation:
Spoiler:

Timing stuff
Spoiler:

I am currently not working on the computer, for I have been sidetracked with a cooler projects. I have finished 1, but 2 more good ideas have come up. I have kind of lost interest in computers, after i thought about how trivial they can be. I may return to this project in the future.

Something I should say about redstone computers. If you want a machine that can run Pong, battleship or other games. Make a machine that specifically does that. It will always run better, faster, and more stable (this is already 28 times faster than the RedGame2). So you may wonder why build a computer then? Simple, it is fun. I always enjoy working with redstone and this is the highest level thing that can be done, so that is why.
Redstone FTW. Minecraft in Minecraft, you jelly Inception?
Have you ever wanted to punch trees IRL, look no further you answer lies Here

Register or log in to remove.

Kamil
    Kamil

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1279 posts
  • Minecraft: SupePsychoSnipe

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Were you the same person that was making this way back when?

samruxman
  • Minecraft: Samrux

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Amazing. I like it.
But i still wonder, WTH does the Minecraft computers do?

space_king

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

it would take me several years just to lay out the blocks for this nevermind the redstone

Zormer
    Zormer

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

View Postsamruxman, on 17 March 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Amazing. I like it.
Nothing usefull at the moment, they're usually too slow and big to be of any real use. But it's fun to see how powerful they can get.

View Postspace_king, on 18 March 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

it would take me several years just to lay out the blocks for this nevermind the redstone
It would take anyone months to put all the blocks and redstone there, that's why everyone building computers use a mod (usually WorldEdit) that allows you to copy and paste parts, so you can just, for example, create one memory cell and copy the rest. There are parts, like bussing, that can't be (usually) done by copying and pasting, though.

THESPECINATOR

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostKamil, on 17 March 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Were you the same person that was making this way back when?

I showed off my ALU before, but a lot has changed since then.

View Postsamruxman, on 17 March 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Amazing. I like it.

I don't really know. They compute stuff. The idea is that that they can play several different games with no physical alterations. The problem is they run very slow in comparison to a specified device. I just enjoy doing it.

View Postspace_king, on 18 March 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

McEdit is your friend :) I made this in 72ish hours of gameplay, maybe less because I used the world to do other things before this.

I am temporarily stopping working on it, because I found a way to make something that I have always wanted. It is even cooler than an instant computer.

myskillsisfromhell

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

good luck with it.
but let me just ask you question, you said that these fancy alu's has many errors?
but i have build 2 "fancy" alu's 1 4 tick and 1 6 tick so far i now that the 6 tick one can do 24 functions without any problems so why did you use a tower style alu.

Sneak.QQ
    Sneak.QQ

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Minecraft: Sneak4000

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

I am temporarily stopping working on it, because I found a way to make something that I have always wanted. It is even cooler than an instant computer.
Go on...
If you can't count up to 2,047 on your fingers, you're an idiot.

Darkroom97
  • Minecraft: Darkroom

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Ok so i know you don't want a fancy alu but lets think about this....
to make every function, add, and subtract ALL you have to do is put xors in A, B, and output for inversion. Stick an adder in the middle. A cut carry op code so you can get xor and take the carry for bools. If you want pictures of this ask :)

THESPECINATOR

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostSneak.QQ, on 18 March 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Go on...
All i will say is it is going well. I have started it and have made all the parts the only issue is i keep finding ways to make them better, so I have to redo things. It will be awesome though. I may give a sneak peak soon though.

View Postmyskillsisfromhell, on 18 March 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

good luck with it.
but let me just ask you question, you said that these fancy alu's has many errors?
but i have build 2 "fancy" alu's 1 4 tick and 1 6 tick so far i now that the 6 tick one can do 24 functions without any problems so why did you use a tower style alu.

View PostDarkroom97, on 18 March 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

Ok so i know you don't want a fancy alu but lets think about this....
to make every function, add, and subtract ALL you have to do is put xors in A, B, and output for inversion. Stick an adder in the middle. A cut carry op code so you can get xor and take the carry for bools. If you want pictures of this ask Posted Image

When redstone first started almost all ALU's were stacks. pistons have been out since last year and it took people awhile to make the complex ones. This is the first instant wire ALU. It has some limitations that i'm sure people may eventually solve.
The current problem is the Nano tick. The reason there are repeaters at the ends of things is because on Nano ticks. It is generated by the Xor's I'm using. each Xor then adds 1 tick of delay because of the repeater needed. I do agree that I could combine the inverses together, but I wanted to keep it very simple at first. If I copied your design for standard wire, it would be a delay mess and may not work.
I'm sure the instant wire ALU will get better it will just take time. This is the start rather than the end. I currently am preoccupied right now with another project so I do not plan to do any improving any time soon.

Darkroom97

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostTHESPECINATOR, on 18 March 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

All i will say is it is going well. I have started it and have made all the parts the only issue is i keep finding ways to make them better, so I have to redo things. It will be awesome though. I may give a sneak peak soon though.

When redstone first started almost all ALU's were stacks. pistons have been out since last year and it took people awhile to make the complex ones. This is the first instant wire ALU. It has some limitations that i'm sure people may eventually solve.
The current problem is the Nano tick. The reason there are repeaters at the ends of things is because on Nano ticks. It is generated by the Xor's I'm using. each Xor then adds 1 tick of delay because of the repeater needed. I do agree that I could combine the inverses together, but I wanted to keep it very simple at first. If I copied your design for standard wire, it would be a delay mess and may not work.
I'm sure the instant wire ALU will get better it will just take time. This is the start rather than the end. I currently am preoccupied right now with another project so I do not plan to do any improving any time soon.
I have made a insta wire ALU 3ticks. If you want to check it out search 24tick clock then go into QUAD CORE. After that download the map and look for the ALU it is good

YuriKahn
    YuriKahn

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1734 posts
  • Minecraft: YuriKahn

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

That's amazing! I'm interested in your instant wire though, how does it work?

View PostVechs, on 12 August 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Advance with courage and conviction.  Strike them down in the name of the God-Emperor and the Golden Throne of the Imperium.

THESPECINATOR

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostDarkroom97, on 18 March 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

I have made a insta wire ALU 3ticks. If you want to check it out search 24tick clock then go into QUAD CORE. After that download the map and look for the ALU it is good
I took a look and could not figure out how the ALU worked. I could not determine if it was instant wire or not... you seem to be crossing instant wire and regular wire which is kind of confusing. If you could do a video on how it operates that would be great.
On another note, I noticed some areas were broken. In the ALU there was a repeater going into a block and the other end was not receiving power and in the RAM area some of the pistons pushers were missing.

That's amazing! I'm interested in your instant wire though, how does it work?

It is Shroggs basic type. I made all the boolean functions and I used Shroggs adder with a few modifications.

Darkroom97

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

The type of insta wire i use is called clocked insta wire it works on the fact that if you force a upward edge on all the pistons at the same time no delay

makerimages

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

this is cool

THESPECINATOR

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostDarkroom97, on 19 March 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

The type of insta wire i use is called clocked insta wire it works on the fact that if you force a upward edge on all the pistons at the same time no delay
Some of your pieces looked similar to mine, but your ALU looks very weird. I have seen you smash the Redgame 2, but you still have yet to show yours working. The Redgame is not a terrible computer, though not the best. You say he does not tell the whole truth about it, which may be true, but you still have not shown yours to work....

Darkroom97

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostTHESPECINATOR, on 20 March 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Some of your pieces looked similar to mine, but your ALU looks very weird. I have seen you smash the Redgame 2, but you still have yet to show yours working. The Redgame is not a terrible computer, though not the best. You say he does not tell the whole truth about it, which may be true, but you still have not shown yours to work....
Ah i will show when i finish the whole quad core i will put out aton of videos about how it works and doing i think pong or space invaders followed by the use of an array. On the red game thin lets get real ima use your comp as an example because it works fully at this time:
REDGAME|Your comp
1)70tick clock 1)6tick clock
2)Bad alu 8 functions 2)like 20 i think i can't remember
3)Terrible ram 3)good fast ram
4)registers are soooo bad 4)idk do you even use registers because i don't in my comp
Over all every computer after that has been better but people STILL LIKE HIM. Also pls don't make me rage on your tread i like being a nice person but he doesn't deserve repesct or niceness

THESPECINATOR

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostDarkroom97, on 20 March 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Ah i will show when i finish the whole quad core i will put out aton of videos about how it works and doing i think pong or space invaders followed by the use of an array. On the red game thin lets get real ima use your comp as an example because it works fully at this time:
REDGAME|Your comp
1)70tick clock 1)6tick clock
2)Bad alu 8 functions 2)like 20 i think i can't remember
3)Terrible ram 3)good fast ram
4)registers are soooo bad 4)idk do you even use registers because i don't in my comp
Over all every computer after that has been better but people STILL LIKE HIM. Also pls don't make me rage on your tread i like being a nice person but he doesn't deserve repesct or niceness
though his computer is not great, he does have some pretty good tactics at getting his up there. There have been many other good computers, but they all lack some form of a gpu, which his has. newish people think it is possible to make pong and various other games on it, but it just runs to slow. He does deserve some respect, because he has done what only a handful can do and it was made quiet a while ago. It does not match up to the more modern ones, but it has that gpu everyone wants.

on another note, why do you want so many games on yours? why not just make a dedicated machine? also with your games will the ROM be the only thing switched out or will there be hardware changes?

Darkroom97

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostTHESPECINATOR, on 21 March 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

though his computer is not great, he does have some pretty good tactics at getting his up there. There have been many other good computers, but they all lack some form of a gpu, which his has. newish people think it is possible to make pong and various other games on it, but it just runs to slow. He does deserve some respect, because he has done what only a handful can do and it was made quiet a while ago. It does not match up to the more modern ones, but it has that gpu everyone wants.

on another note, why do you want so many games on yours? why not just make a dedicated machine? also with your games will the ROM be the only thing switched out or will there be hardware changes?
I hate to break to it to you but GPUs are the easiest part of a redstone comp because they are a single cell that you just //stack ..... so most people have them on there comp i don't have one on mine yet because i was just showing off my core. On the hardware thing there will be a I/O register line for hooking multipliers and dividers also number screen and that kind of stuff if you want it.
EDIT: Just so you know i can make 2x2gpus and his gpu is the size of my comp so again his computer is terrible

wyldstallyns

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:13 AM

This is full of win Posted Image