• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.6.2] SkyZone World Generation Mod (v. 2.2) (Wither Skeletons added)

world skyblock mod terrain api

• Please log in to reply
419 replies to this topic

King Korihor

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:29 AM

Credits & Recognition:

I became inspired to create a mod version of the SkyBlock Map (see http://www.minecraft...-surv-skyblock/).  What has inspired me is the minimalist nature of the map and how players are forced with this map to really study up on the mechanics of Minecraft and push to some pretty hard limits what can be done with a minimum amount of starting resources.

There are some things missing from that map, not to mention that I'd like to put in some flexibility and some features that can only be added through a mod instead of a map.  While I appreciate Noobcrew for making that map and will openly acknowledge his work on that map as inspiration, this really is something new that I'm offering here with this mod.

Features different from SkyBlock v. 2.1:
  • Torch added to Sand Island (to keep Endermen from running off with blocks)
  • Obsidian turned into Lava blocks (to add an extra challenge)
  • Chests eliminated altogether
  • Endless empty chunks (you simply can't build to the "mainland" unlike on the map version)
  • "Creative Mode" building with the SkyZone
  • A Witch Hut, complete with caldron and potted mushroom!
  • With "Generate Structures" on, creates a micro Nether Fortress, Stronghold, Witch Hut, and Dungeon
  • Every achievement in vanilla Minecraft can be completed with the content in the map this mod creates
  • Additional small biome areas specific for spawning Ocelots & Wolves
  • Horses can spawn in this world.... in a small biome set aside for that purpose.
  • Every possible renewable resource can be obtained from maps generated with this mod, along with many types of non-renewable resources (although in admittedly limited quantities).
  • A custom version of The End
This mod hooks into the world generation routines when worlds are created.  Instead of the "Default" and "Superflat" world types, a new type called "SkyZone" is made available for creating new worlds.  Generate Structures option will generate the villager house if it is "On", or it will simply be an empty chunk if turned "Off".

The long term goal here is to provide the support necessary to start out from the most bare essential elements and eventually be able to accomplish almost every task possible and build any structure in Minecraft from just a block of Lava, some water, a couple logs, and a few pieces of dirt.  Every renewable resource should also eventually be made available at some point or another when playing with this mod, but it won't be easy to get at them and may require some extra effort.

Pictures:

Spoiler:

Videos (made by fans of this mod... I am not responsible for this content):
Spoiler:

Mod files:

Requires Risugami's ModLoader for Minecraft 1.6.2:
http://www.minecraft...s-mods-updated/

If you are experiencing some problems with ModLoader, there is also a ModLoader patch for 1.6.2 that you ought to consider:
http://www.minecraft...s-in-modloader/

Apply that patch *before* you add the WorldGen API library.

In addition, you need a special API library for new world generation mods (WorldGen API for 1.6.2):
http://adf.ly/RqXKG

(*Note* Updated for JDK 1.6+ --- Add to minecraft.jar after ModLoader and after Forge if using Forge-based mods)
(Also note that this library provides "partial compatibility" to mods using Minecraft Forge.... it isn't 100% though so beware of potential conflicts.... Forge is giving fits for me with this API, so it may not work)

These files need to be put into the minecraft.jar file after being extracted from the zip file (compressed only to keep them together as a group) and will replace class files in Minecraft.  I will openly acknowledge that they are copied from Risugami's Biosphere mod and due credit goes to Risugami for coming up with this interface.  Except when Minecraft updates, I don't anticipate these files need to be updated.

The mod itself (Skyzone v. 2.2 for Minecraft 1.6.2):
http://adf.ly/SpJI8

This file can be put into the "mods" folder more typical for ModLoader mods that should be a sub-directory of the ".minecraft" folder containing the main working files for Minecraft.  It should be compatible with any mods which also use ModLoader.

Version History:
Spoiler:

Known bugs:
  • Travel through Nether portals seems to sometimes (but not always) crash with a "network error"
Future mod goals:
  • Additional challenges and accomplishments into the Minecraft achievement system
  • "Extra challenging" generator even more minimalistic, but perhaps with some additional ways to generate hard to find resources.
  • Adding Multi-player (aka SMP) support
  • Working on alternate "survivial" type maps of a similar nature
  • Adding a very modest series of random islands going much further out
Disclaimer:
Spoiler:

Copyright:
Spoiler:

FAQ:
Spoiler:

Register or log in to remove.

Wahsu
    Wahsu

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Looks alright, I'll give it a shot. This is coming from a guy who's seen many mods and ignores over half of the mods here.

EDIT: ok i got the skyblock mod jar but how do i install it?

EDIT 2: never mind i missed the part about putting it in the mods folder. However It seems to crash on me after i put it in the mods folder. There is nothing wrong with modloader and the api however it has something to do with the mod itself. I'd like to give you a crash report but it likes to disappear before i can read anything.

Posted Image

King Korihor

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostWahsu, on 17 March 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

EDIT 2: never mind i missed the part about putting it in the mods folder. However It seems to crash on me after i put it in the mods folder. There is nothing wrong with modloader and the api however it has something to do with the mod itself. I'd like to give you a crash report but it likes to disappear before i can read anything.

This gets a bit complicated, because Risugami hasn't put the world generation classes into ModLoader.

Two class files, "akv.class" and "vt.class" need to be put into the "minecraft.jar" file to replace Minecraft classes of the same name.  This is the API library that Risugami created and that I'm borrowing.

The other file, "skyzone.jar", should simply be placed in the "mods" subfolder that is created by ModLoader.  You can disable SkyZone simply by removing it from the mods folder.

If you haven't used ModLoader before, I'd strongly recommend doing this in baby steps and making sure Minecraft will run with just ModLoader and nothing else in the "mods" folder first, then in this case adding just the API files, running Minecraft with those files in the "minecraft.jar" file, then adding the SkyZone jar file into the mods folder after that.

If you still have problems running Minecraft with the SkyZone jar in the mods folder, I'll see if perhaps there is something else wrong with the mod itself.

*Edit*: If you want to submit a crash report, please simply show the contents of "ModLoader.txt" found in the ".minecraft" base folder.
Posted Image
Version 2.1 now updated for MC 1.6.2

killerpie1000

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

hmm ill give it a try
[center][URL=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1090288-123-extrabiomesxl-v10-the-official-sequel-to-extrabiomes/]Posted Image[/URL][/center]

Pop3464
    Pop3464

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1090 posts
  • Minecraft: Pop3464

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

Looks awesome, One thing, I crash with The Skyzone Mod installed,
Full Modloader
Spoiler:
TL:DR
Spoiler:
Without It I get no Error, Little Help? D:
Posted Image

TFCxAddict
  • Minecraft: TFCxAddict

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

View PostPop3464, on 17 March 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

Looks awesome, One thing, I crash with The Skyzone Mod installed,
Full Modloader
Spoiler:
TL:DR
Spoiler:
Without It I get no Error, Little Help? D:

The mod was written with a different version of Java than you're running.

Posted Image

Pop3464
    Pop3464

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1090 posts
  • Minecraft: Pop3464

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostTFCxAddict, on 17 March 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

Oh? But I downloaded the new version the other day..O.o
Posted Image

King Korihor

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostTFCxAddict, on 17 March 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

I think this is a consequence of using a new computer to build this mod.  There are many things I like about Windows 7, but its uncanny tendency to spontaneously update to the "latest version" on many of the key software packages is something that can backfire in situations like this.  Sadly, "downgrading" to earlier versions of Java is even harder than downgrading to earlier versions of Minecraft.

The Java version I'm currently using (hence what I've used to compile this mod) is Java 7, Update 3.

BTW, thanks for diagnosing this issue.
Posted Image

King Korihor

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Update to version 0.2

Changes include:
  • Fixing door of villager hut
  • Changing roof material to wood slabs instead of stone
  • Adding two villagers to bootstrap population
This should allow a player to grow a village to reach achievements, including creating iron bar farms from Iron Golems.
Posted Image

Monkeypigninja
  • Minecraft: Monkeypigninja

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

<p style="text-align: right; ">If i put this mod on do i have to use it on a skyblock map or can i just create a new world?</p>

If i put this mod on do i have to use it on a skyblock map or can i just create a new world?

View PostMonkeypigninja, on 17 March 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

<p style="text-align: right; ">If i put this mod on do i have to use it on a skyblock map or can i just create a new world?</p>

If i put this mod on do i have to use it on a skyblock map or can i just create a new world?

Sorry for that my keyboard messed up

King Korihor

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostMonkeypigninja, on 17 March 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

You do not need the SkyBlock map by Noobcrew in order to use this mod.  The purpose of this mod is to generate that map instead, so the answer is yes, you merely create a new world.  The only difference is when you create the world, you need to select "More World Options" and then toggle through the world types until you get the option "World Type:SkyZone".

Other world types are also possible, including other mods as well.  I have Rigusami's Biosphere mod running concurrently with SkyZone also, and others could follow the same API to introduce yet more generation mods so it isn't unique for just this mod.

BTW, if you happen to be using this mod with Noobcrew's SkyBlock map, it can be used but playing on that map would completely ignore this mod in terms of chunk generation and spawning as that map is tied to the "Default" world type generator and Noobcrew only used MCEdit (or some similar program) to create the chunks.
Posted Image

Monkeypigninja

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

When i downloaded the skyzone itself it came as a .jar file is that right? and also when i put the skyzone .jar in my mods folder my game crashes at the mojang screen. Can anyone help me?

Rockstorm7
  • Minecraft: Rockstorm7

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

This is absolutely amazing and since its a mod I know how to get it, unlike having to make a server with the original I can just get this mod! I LOVE IT

-Rockstorm7
Posted Image

frumpy4
    frumpy4

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • Minecraft: frumpy4
  • Xbox:koolatta

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

This would make a nice map, but world generation? Thats just awesome. Great job with the mod!
Posted Image

Monkeypigninja

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

@King Korihor

what do you mean by micro nether fortresses and mini strongholds?

Edit: Still cant get mod to work =(

Monkeypigninja

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yay i got it finally working!   Btw how are you meant to get an infinite water source with only 1 water?

Sevenedges
  • Minecraft: Sevenedges

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

So Skyblock 2.0, eh? Not sure if it will receive the same treatment from the public as the original, but I do see this as an improvement overall.

Posted Image

King Korihor

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostMonkeypigninja, on 17 March 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Yay i got it finally working!   Btw how are you meant to get an infinite water source with only 1 water?

Yeah, that is a problem, isn't it :)

I might throw a temporary fix by simply creating another island with another tree type and a single block of water that you need to build out to for fetching another water source block, but my intention is for players to retrieve the 2nd block of water from the Nether, just like the original SkyBlock map.  I'm trying to figure out how to create a new Nether map generator that would link to this world generator, but not interfere with other maps which could continue to use Notch's Hell chunk generator.  Not an impossible task, but it will take some creative effort in order to get it put in and might require some changes to the "API" for it to work the way that I want.  What I'm looking for is a mostly empty Nether similar to the "overworld" but has the characteristics and spawning behavior of the Nether.

That is also where the "micro fortress" is going to come into play, where I want to put in the option (with generate structures being turned on) for a very simple structure to appear in the Nether (another island) made of Nether Brick that would have a Blaze spawner so you can harvest blaze rods.  I also want to throw in a few lava blocks somewhere in the Nether and add a few diamond blocks somewhere so you can build an Enchantment Table.

On that notion, where would a logical place be to put the diamond blocks?  I considered putting them under the lava on the Lava Island, but that may be too easy.  Does it seem too out of place for diamond ore blocks to be found in the Nether, or should it be in the overworld somewhere?
Posted Image

Monkeypigninja

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostKing Korihor, on 17 March 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

Yeah, that is a problem, isn't it Posted Image

I might throw a temporary fix by simply creating another island with another tree type and a single block of water that you need to build out to for fetching another water source block, but my intention is for players to retrieve the 2nd block of water from the Nether, just like the original SkyBlock map.  I'm trying to figure out how to create a new Nether map generator that would link to this world generator, but not interfere with other maps which could continue to use Notch's Hell chunk generator.  Not an impossible task, but it will take some creative effort in order to get it put in and might require some changes to the "API" for it to work the way that I want.  What I'm looking for is a mostly empty Nether similar to the "overworld" but has the characteristics and spawning behavior of the Nether.

That is also where the "micro fortress" is going to come into play, where I want to put in the option (with generate structures being turned on) for a very simple structure to appear in the Nether (another island) made of Nether Brick that would have a Blaze spawner so you can harvest blaze rods.  I also want to throw in a few lava blocks somewhere in the Nether and add a few diamond blocks somewhere so you can build an Enchantment Table.

On that notion, where would a logical place be to put the diamond blocks?  I considered putting them under the lava on the Lava Island, but that may be too easy.  Does it seem too out of place for diamond ore blocks to be found in the Nether, or should it be in the overworld somewhere?

Maybe you could put the diamond block right in the middle of the sand island so people would have to build a water structure and stuff. Also if you were to add diamond people would need iron (3 for a bucket and 3 for a pick). Also when i went on the map the villagers weren't there i think they might of despawned so thats a minor problem too. But great job man this is really epic! :)

Edit: For iron people could kill zombies (the new 1.2 rare mob drop thing) Posted Image

Mrx2012
    Mrx2012

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Awesome island mate!!!