I became inspired to create a mod version of the SkyBlock Map (see http://www.minecraft...-surv-skyblock/). What has inspired me is the minimalist nature of the map and how players are forced with this map to really study up on the mechanics of Minecraft and push to some pretty hard limits what can be done with a minimum amount of starting resources.
There are some things missing from that map, not to mention that I'd like to put in some flexibility and some features that can only be added through a mod instead of a map. While I appreciate Noobcrew for making that map and will openly acknowledge his work on that map as inspiration, this really is something new that I'm offering here with this mod.
Features different from SkyBlock v. 2.1:
- Torch added to Sand Island (to keep Endermen from running off with blocks)
- Obsidian turned into Lava blocks (to add an extra challenge)
- Chests eliminated altogether
- Endless empty chunks (you simply can't build to the "mainland" unlike on the map version)
- "Creative Mode" building with the SkyZone
- A Witch Hut, complete with caldron and potted mushroom!
- With "Generate Structures" on, creates a micro Nether Fortress, Stronghold, Witch Hut, and Dungeon
- Every achievement in vanilla Minecraft can be completed with the content in the map this mod creates
- Additional small biome areas specific for spawning Ocelots & Wolves
- Horses can spawn in this world.... in a small biome set aside for that purpose.
- Every possible renewable resource can be obtained from maps generated with this mod, along with many types of non-renewable resources (although in admittedly limited quantities).
- A custom version of The End
The long term goal here is to provide the support necessary to start out from the most bare essential elements and eventually be able to accomplish almost every task possible and build any structure in Minecraft from just a block of Lava, some water, a couple logs, and a few pieces of dirt. Every renewable resource should also eventually be made available at some point or another when playing with this mod, but it won't be easy to get at them and may require some extra effort.
Videos (made by fans of this mod... I am not responsible for this content):
Requires Risugami's ModLoader for Minecraft 1.6.2:
If you are experiencing some problems with ModLoader, there is also a ModLoader patch for 1.6.2 that you ought to consider:
Apply that patch *before* you add the WorldGen API library.
In addition, you need a special API library for new world generation mods (WorldGen API for 1.6.2):
(*Note* Updated for JDK 1.6+ --- Add to minecraft.jar after ModLoader and after Forge if using Forge-based mods)
(Also note that this library provides "partial compatibility" to mods using Minecraft Forge.... it isn't 100% though so beware of potential conflicts.... Forge is giving fits for me with this API, so it may not work)
These files need to be put into the minecraft.jar file after being extracted from the zip file (compressed only to keep them together as a group) and will replace class files in Minecraft. I will openly acknowledge that they are copied from Risugami's Biosphere mod and due credit goes to Risugami for coming up with this interface. Except when Minecraft updates, I don't anticipate these files need to be updated.
The mod itself (Skyzone v. 2.2 for Minecraft 1.6.2):
This file can be put into the "mods" folder more typical for ModLoader mods that should be a sub-directory of the ".minecraft" folder containing the main working files for Minecraft. It should be compatible with any mods which also use ModLoader.
- Travel through Nether portals seems to sometimes (but not always) crash with a "network error"
- Additional challenges and accomplishments into the Minecraft achievement system
- "Extra challenging" generator even more minimalistic, but perhaps with some additional ways to generate hard to find resources.
- Adding Multi-player (aka SMP) support
- Working on alternate "survivial" type maps of a similar nature
- Adding a very modest series of random islands going much further out