111 replies to this topic

flipraparena

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

interesting. He made some good points about the development

Register or log in to remove.

MamiyaOtaru

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

View PostShadowDrakken, on 15 March 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

The way it sounded was that CraftBukkit and the official server were essentially going to become one in the same, which is effectively saying CraftBukkit will become the new official server as it makes more sense than to redo all the work that's already there. Right now, CraftBukkit is already more stable, less buggy and more extensible than the official server, why reinvent the wheel?
because Mojang doesn't own the code that went into CraftBukkit.  They hired four of the guys who worked on it sure, but many more contributed to it under a GPL license.  Without permission from every one of them, Mojang (and their new employees from Bukkit) can't take that code and make it part of a proprietary project, unless Mojang is planning on Open Sourcing their server.

That's not happening of course; the newly hired ex Bukkit guys will use their experience from helping create an API to create another one, this time for Mojang.  With the side effect that yeah, CraftBukkit is likely going to wither away.

PhenomII
    PhenomII

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Minecraft: Repne

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:09 AM

I need a whole map generation, like in Dwarf Fortress.

vdsvsdd
    vdsvsdd

Carpenter

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

I'm more excited for villager trading.

JellyOpera
  • Minecraft: JellyOpera

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

View Postmg127, on 16 March 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

actually, ALL mods will run in smp.
the singleplayer will be changed into a local running server and you connect to that server.
they also plan to implement a feature that you can directly invite other ppl to your "singleplayer" world while playing
edit: somnia will still be only for one player and could be disabled when two or more players are on one world
Was there any official word put out on any of that? If so, could you link me to the source? That all sounds awesome, but I don't think that's what's gonna happen.

Posted Image

lavafoxx

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

View Postzonedabone, on 16 March 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

If there's anything that minecraft doesn't need, it's a closed-source api.

actually a closed-source api has the benefit of allowing every mod developed for it to be compatible with others.
[url=minecraft4kids.net]Posted Image[url]

chriscisco

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

View PostJellyOpera, on 16 March 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

Was there any official word put out on any of that? If so, could you link me to the source? That all sounds awesome, but I don't think that's what's gonna happen.

That is what notch would like to have eventually, but 1.3 the only offical word is that the mod api for server will be out then, more may come in the future. Check out the interview with notch and jeb for that answer.

dronf
    dronf

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

I don't have much faith that the bukkit guys will do this right.  Bukkit is 100% server side.  Those guys have no experience with doing things from the client side.  As cool as some bukkit mods are, none of them are even in the same ballpark as the premier modloader/forge mods, like IC2/BC/RP/EE/Forestry/etc.

albireox

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

I think Spout, being open source, will be the way to go. Open source communities allow more development to take place.

aidanhd500
  • Minecraft: SugaryHobgoblin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

mode api? atleast get someone who has a clue of what they are talking about, chill it on the eye candy. (boy that sounds a little over board on the sexism, sorry)

Posted Image

LoganNZL
    LoganNZL

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 823 posts
  • Location: New Zealand, you don't know where that is though :'(
  • Minecraft: LoganNZL
  • Xbox:¬_¬
  • PSN:S_C_O_P_IE_D

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

All I want is the addition of carrots.

Posted Image

Made it myself :)

RotomGuy
    RotomGuy

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1749 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Oh good, this sounds brilliant. I can't wait :D

Forum Rules and Minecraft General Rules
Do read them before posting. I mean it. >:C
Grass Block is still here, though most of you have probably clicked it by now. Posted Image
Do not suggest Vertical Redstone, Emerald Tools, Obsidian Tools and Skylands. They will be burnt in a hole.

Greenfire32
  • Minecraft: Greenfire32

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

I was too distracted by the very poor presentation of this video to even care about it's content.

That says something...
Check out my Youtube Channel at: http://www.youtube.c...31?feature=mhee
Posted Image

LeonBlade
    LeonBlade

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 127 posts
  • Minecraft: LeonBlade

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

I enjoy my Mode API more than anyone in here.
There's no place like ~/

lilajunkie
  • Minecraft: lilajunkie

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

I don't mean to flame or anything, but that really wasn't a good interview. I would have loved to hear more from Jens, and the interview could have been a bit more conversational. Every one of Pico's questions sounded like she rehearsed them 10 times, then read them off a  prompter in her best put-on voice. There was nothing natural about the questions, and she didn't seem to be interested in the answers :(

Apart from that, yeih mods! :)

Wedhro
    Wedhro

Diamond Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

I, for one, am more than happy to know Minecraft will include its own modding API so I will never again have to wait days/weeks for unofficial APIs to catch up on every update, or deal with self-important communities with their own, silly idea of what Minecraft should be, or  having my server struggle between vanilla's bugs + server-side API's bugs + client-side API's bugs, or always wondering if a mod conflicts with another mod. And so on.

I don't want unofficial mod APIs to die but I'm glad I'll be able to opt out.

Posted Image

bechill
    bechill

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

I just hope the central repository of mods has nothing to do with curse and ad revenue.
Posted Image

immibis
    immibis

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Minecraft: immibis

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Why has nobody mentioned the fact that modding is now explicitly banned in Mojang's ToS?

mg127
    mg127

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1003 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostJellyOpera, on 16 March 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

what jeb said:

dunno why they didn't bring it in the final interview, only in the preview of the interview

bukkit team also mentioned it (but not directly)
http://forums.bukkit...e-9#post-990129

i forgot to mention that ther will be client only mods, but they are only visual like optifine or matmos (acoustic)

View Postimmibis, on 16 March 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Why has nobody mentioned the fact that modding is now explicitly banned in Mojang's ToS?
if the bukkit-team makes the api as powerfull as bukkit+spout+modloader/forge
you won't need any traditional mod ever again
Posted Image

immibis
    immibis

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Minecraft: immibis

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

View Postmg127, on 16 March 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

if the bukkit-team makes the api as powerfull as bukkit+spout+modloader/forge
you won't need any traditional mod ever again

From what I've heard, the first release will probably be similar to Bukkit.
IE very un-powerful and server-side only. I could be wrong though...