Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

* * * * - 12 votes

Interview with Jeb - Mod API & More

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

FutureNyanCat

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

*idles for a year to wait* Hope this will come!

Posted Image

| YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/Jaden1291 | Forum: http://futurenyancat2002.prophpbb.com/ |

FutureNyanCat. The Nyan Cat of the Forum. Current Version: v120.0 (Despicable Kitty Update)

Register or log in to remove.

King Korihor

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostQwerty144, on 29 March 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

It's not an AI at all. It's an API. and AI is artificial intelegence. this is used for things like mobs and/or opponents. An API however, is an Application Programming Interface, meaning an ingame GUI for installing mods, updating them, and things like that.

While I do hope that there will be an "in-game GUI for installing mods" along with some other things Mojang might do to help support the modding community, that is not what an API actually accomplishes.

The purpose of the API is to provide a consistent set of "interfaces" between the Mod and some piece of software you are use that allows multiple groups of programmers a way to communicate with each other.  The operating system on your computer is an example of a kind of API.  For example, Microsoft Windows uses an API called Win32API (and something comparable for 64 bit programming) that has been in place for nearly two decades and how almost all current Microsoft Windows applications are written.

From the user side, however, the current plan for mods suggest that there might even be something like an app store where you can "purchase" or at least obtain some mods to put into the game that have gone through some sort of review process.  Rather than going to random locations or digging through forums to find some cool mods, there is going to be a central place to find well made mods and perhaps even a way to "donate" to the mod development.  If you have to pay $1 for a good mod, I think it might be worth the effort... and it will help support the modding community in a big way as well.

View PostJaden1291, on 30 March 2012 - 07:27 AM, said:

*idles for a year to wait* Hope this will come!

Just wait until version 1.3.  Mojang has some big plans, and that is when you will see the new developers that were just hired to really kick in and make a difference.
Posted Image
Version 2.1 now updated for MC 1.6.2

Swimmerwoad
  • Minecraft: Swimmerwoad

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Sweet! Nice job Jeb
Posted Image
{Camels bring peace}

_Myu_
    _Myu_

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Really think they should invest more time in getting that mod api done since the majority of their player base are mod users. Very few people are like me and play vanilla.

jalfje
    jalfje

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

just get modloader from risugami to be in the vanilla (with a few edits of course)... that would solve a lot of problems. the other part of the mod api that they need is the 4096 block update. CANT WAIT FOR THAT ONE.
Freakin' useful mod (I only use it for SSP!)
I like to play FTB with some additions. Also custom modsets are awesome!

CJtheoriginal
  • Minecraft: CJFtheoriginal

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

mod api for the win  Posted Image

Zurich Antiock

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

This video was hard to follow... but I'm glad they're letting us know about this.
SPIDERSEZ AND BATZ, CANDIESEZ AND MASKS!

Mixinghoney
  • Minecraft: Cptarugo

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

jeb is doing more progress than notch...

Posted Image

5dhans
    5dhans

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • Minecraft: 4dHans

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

He then later posted mods will be free, because many disliked the paying idea. I sure mods will stay free.
[URL=http://www.minecraftforum.net/[/size]topic/1305647-151smpssp-plasmacraft-032-the-legacy-continues62212[size=4]]Posted Image[/URL]

teamrocket123
  • Minecraft: teamrocket123

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

Yus! Much more easy way to install inapp mods >:D
Sucks at pvp.
'Nuff said

upernoob
  • Minecraft: upernoob

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

cant wait for api bro
Posted Image
-------------------------------http://s1191.photobu.../z469/upernoob/-----------------------------------

jimmydorry
  • Minecraft: Jimmydorry

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

I want the Mod API now...