• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Does minecraft use the TCP or UDP protocol for port forwarding?

portforwarding help?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

tribaldragon73
  • Minecraft: tribaldragon73

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Yeah...Title says it all.
I'm starting a server and I need to know whether the minecraft servers use TCP or UDP as their protocol.

Thanks in advance!

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Lord_Ralex
    Lord_Ralex

Typoing Absolmin

• Forum Admin
  • Curse Premium
  • 5807 posts
  • Minecraft: Lord_Ralex

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

It is suggested to assume both, although I heard somewhere it is just TCP, it is best to just assume both.

If this is port-forwarding you need it for, use both protocols.

MCF Admin for Servers and Mapping and Modding

Posted Image

JohnTheRipper

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

You know what, I've never checked, and I've never seen anything officially stating that it was TCP, UDP, or both. I've always punched holes for both in my firewall/router, so you should do both.
i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, Z77X-UD5H, GTX 670 OC, 256GB 840 Pro, 2TB + 500GB HDDs, Fractal R4, HX750 (with bonus fan noise), Dell U2713HM.

Please read the rules!
Global | Discussion | MnM | Other Platforms | Servers | Support | SyC | Off Topic
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” — Albert Einstein
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein

Posted Image

Lord_Ralex
    Lord_Ralex

Typoing Absolmin

• Forum Admin
  • Curse Premium
  • 5807 posts
  • Minecraft: Lord_Ralex

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

I read somewhere that someone said that it was TCP, but even Minecraft says to just use both, so that is what is normally done.

Just use both and it will be fine

MCF Admin for Servers and Mapping and Modding

Posted Image

tribaldragon73
  • Minecraft: tribaldragon73

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

Well, the terraria forum on how to create a server said they used TCP, so I figured that minecraft would use one specifically.
Tahnks!

Posted Image

resilienthosting

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

Its UDP as TCP resends packets if they failed sending which would not really work for a multiplayer game.
Posted Image

minecraftisepic89

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

This can be with one only but I will chose TCP because it will be a short time for UDP because my router is made by Bell so that is it.

olagarde
    olagarde

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:56 AM

It appears to be TCP only.  Run a sniffer (tcpdump, wireshark, etc) against the default interface with a src or dst port 25565 and tell mc to hit a server with no port specified in the hostIP field.  Or run a netfilter/packetfilter firewall and don't allow UDP.  I do both and have never seen a UDP requester logged for any MC muiltiplayer, authentication, or updater activity.

ResilientHosting said:  "Its UDP as TCP resends packets if they failed sending which would not really work for a multiplayer game."

... just ... No.  Wrong answer, total BS.  Ask an HPC/Networks admin about IP subprotocol choices for application-layer-instanciated traffic.