This is a novelty texture pack that is just 1x1. It is easier for Minecraft to render low-res texture packs than the normal 16x16, for so since it's 1x1 it should be the easiest for Minecraft to render. So, supposedly it might reduce lag for the same reason that hi-res texture packs increase lag.
The reason blocks like mushrooms, flowers, and torches look like squares is because each block in the terrain.png is only one pixel. I could upscale it and make them not look like squares, but that would defeat the entire point of this texture pack, which is the pure novelty of it being 1x1. Mobs also are only one color and have no faces. If you want a texture pack that doesn't look like crap, Faithful 1x1 is not for you. Still, I'm trying my best to make this texture pack look as good as a 1x1 texture pack possibly can. (Which still isn't very good.)
NOTE: Glass is opaque. That's another downside of being 1x1, is that you can't include both opaque and transparent pixels since you can only have one. It still has some alpha transparency
This texture pack uses textures from Ozfer's abandoned 1x1 texture pack, which I got permission to do.
Unlike all the other 1x1 texture packs, I plan to update this texture pack periodically, which should be easy to do since it is only 1x1.
Do use this texture pack if:
- You're like me and hoard texture packs of all resolutions, particularly ones based off vanilla Minecraft graphics
- You want to see what Minecraft would look like if the graphics were so bad that there couldn't be any details
- You don't want Minecraft to look like absolute crap
- You just want a texture pack that looks simple. There are many other texture packs with a higher resolution that fulfill this aesthetic better than can be done in 1x1 resolution.
- You want to be able to see through glass
Here are other faithful texture packs that are being updated that I have found:
Download for Minecraft 1.4
Download for Minecraft 1.3
Download for Minecraft 12w19a
Download for Minecraft 1.2.4 and 1.2.5
Download for Minecraft 1.2.3