• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Calmzor
    Calmzor

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi all, been into some cave systems and found a normal spider spawner, now i thought wow, thats easy to make a trap from, but i see this isnt working like i thought it was going, Can someone guide me through an easy setup for an easy trap? Its a normal spiderspawner. i tryed searching foum and google but there are many guides on cavespiders, and not for normal ones,

Cheers calm

Register or log in to remove.

xDMaelstrom
  • Minecraft: iMaelstrom

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Cave spiders and normal spiders have nearly the same properties. There are two major differences however:
1. Normal spiders occupy a 2x1x2 area (xyz) while cave spiders occupy a 1x1/2x1 area (I believe they can fit through half slabs, anyways).
2. Normal spiders can go up a traditional mobavator while cave spiders will have more difficulty with it (they need to be pushed up from a spider below them, so there's a different method to make them go up vertically).
Check out my SSP progress at http://imaelstrom.blogspot.com/

Kaynos72
    Kaynos72

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Monkeyfarm build a cave spider trap, it's a 2 part video, check it out

Posted Image

drshadowelf
  • Minecraft: drshadowelf
  • Xbox:drshadowelf

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Or above ground you can make a normal monster trap and then make it a lower height so only spiders can spawn. Hope this helps.
Fear can't hurt you any more than a dream.
WILLIAM GOLDING, Lord of the Flies.

xDMaelstrom
  • Minecraft: iMaelstrom

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

View Postdrshadowelf, on 11 March 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Or above ground you can make a normal monster trap and then make it a lower height so only spiders can spawn. Hope this helps.

I remember Etho tested that awhile ago before he started a new world. Mobs require A LOT of spawning area to make them efficient if you are only focusing on spawning one type of mob. It's really not worth the time.

(The only time that this is really okay is with endermen farms in the End because you don't need to light up anything, and the game only checks to spawn endermen while in the End).
Check out my SSP progress at http://imaelstrom.blogspot.com/

Calmzor
    Calmzor

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostKaynos72, on 11 March 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Monkeyfarm build a cave spider trap, it's a 2 part video, check it out

Yup tried that , seems for me it didnt work. thats why i came in forum ;d

View PostxDMaelstrom, on 11 March 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Cave spiders and normal spiders have nearly the same properties. There are two major differences however:
1. Normal spiders occupy a 2x1x2 area (xyz) while cave spiders occupy a 1x1/2x1 area (I believe they can fit through half slabs, anyways).
2. Normal spiders can go up a traditional mobavator while cave spiders will have more difficulty with it (they need to be pushed up from a spider below them, so there's a different method to make them go up vertically).

thanks will give it another try, last time they all got stuck on the walls leading to collectors room.

Tempus64
    Tempus64

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

Spiders are a pain in the ass to build a system for... Better to use a skeleton or zombie one if/when you find them... What do you want to accomplish with the spider one? If it's just to get a few eyes and some string, I saw a really simple one in the docm77 video when he was picking which of the dog skins to use.. it just spawns 1 at a time for you to kill... I think it was maybe 4 episodes or so ago.

Calmzor
    Calmzor

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostTempus64, on 12 March 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

Spiders are a pain in the ass to build a system for... Better to use a skeleton or zombie one if/when you find them... What do you want to accomplish with the spider one? If it's just to get a few eyes and some string, I saw a really simple one in the docm77 video when he was picking which of the dog skins to use.. it just spawns 1 at a time for you to kill... I think it was maybe 4 episodes or so ago.

well i use it for, xp strings, and spider eyes. thanks on hint for docm77 will try find him.