Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Thoughts on Mojang snooping on us.

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

DylanGamer17

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hello guys,

I have just read an artical, On 'The Word of Notch' which you can find on Minecraft.net, The artical is about letting Mojang snoop on what we are doing on Minecraft.

The snooping will give Mojang the data of:
:How long we have been playing Minecraft.
:What operating system we play Minecraft on. ( Windows, Mac. )
:If your playing the game 'In browser' or if you have downloaded the client and are playing on there.
:What gamemode you are playing on.
:If you are playing 'Single Player' or 'Multi Player'.

The data will be anonymous so nobody knows who the data has been collected from, Mojang would share the data with the community, but as I said your information will not be given with it.

Personally, I like this idea and I hope this happens, It will give other gamers the chance to view how other people play the game, and I like that idea, go to this link and vote weather you think this should happen or not.

Link: http://notch.tumblr....etting-us-snoop

Thanks for reading -DylanGamer17

Register or log in to remove.

Jay_Em
    Jay_Em

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Minecraft: Jay_Em

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

I see nothing wrong with it. If it's anonymous I don't see any problem.

GSR
    GSR

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Old news.

Aaskaanderson
  • Minecraft: Timemaster86

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

If you had only checked the date, you would have seen this was discussed a long time ago, and nobody cares.
Hi, I'm Cameron.
If i don't know you, it's safe to assume i already hate you.

Quazimortal

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostAaskaanderson, on 11 March 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

If you had only checked the date, you would have seen this was discussed a long time ago, and nobody cares.

I wouldn't say nobody cares, if you look at the poll results you can obviously see some people care. It's just that the majority don't seem to care about the privacy of their computers.

And yes, I think it's an invasion of my privacy regardless if they take sensitive information or general information.
Fighting ignorance and false information one post at a time.
For the record if I correct you it's not meant maliciously, but if you whine about it I AM laughing at you.

ghasthugs

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Mojang could expand this to scan for the checksums of well known illegal files on your HD do protect communities and children. Don't like it? Well you voluntarily installed minecraft.....
Is anyone saying same-sex couples can't love each other? I love my children. I love my friends, my brother. Heck, I even love my mother-in-law. Should we call these relationships marriage, too?" –Rick Santorum

GSR
    GSR

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

You can put your tin foil hats away, there will be an off option so no one will find out your really batman.

LaughingCarrot
  • Minecraft: LaughingCarrot

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

View Postghasthugs, on 11 March 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

Mojang could expand this to scan for the checksums of well known illegal files on your HD do protect communities and children. Don't like it? Well you voluntarily installed minecraft.....
I'm not even going to bother saying what's wrong with that...Posted Image
I was going to give you a +1, but then I saw your signature say, "If I helped you in any way, just click that plus sign over there!" So then I didn't give you your +1.

KVKConsultancy

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Old news, agreed.

Though when it came out, and still now I'm completely against it.

Already made my points in a thread at the time.

Though I have just basicly blocked Mojang's access on my firewall. Prior to them getting big brother, I decided to let it slide and allow them any access they wanted.

Now, I don't even allow the loader page. Privacy is a priviledge I would seek to uphold.
(KVKConsultancy, author of MineBack - MineCraft Automated Backup)

alexcarlson
  • Minecraft: alexcarlson

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

I like this idea. :D

Trecked
    Trecked

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Minecraft: Trecked

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Not exactly life-changing information you're giving away. There's not exactly a big problem with it.
Posted Image

Sting_Auer

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

WHy would a millionaire want to steal your personal information? I mean really. Put your tin foil hats away, remove the lead from your ceiling, and take off your pyramid helmet. They aren't taking anything that could cause anything negative whatsoever.
Posted Image

Quazimortal

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

You don't seem to understand, I don't care if it is personal information or not. I don't want them taking any information at all, it's a matter of privacy and I like mine.
For the record if I correct you it's not meant maliciously, but if you whine about it I AM laughing at you.

Im_only_7

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostSting_Auer, on 11 March 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

WHy would a millionaire want to steal your personal information? I mean really. Put your tin foil hats away, remove the lead from your ceiling, and take off your pyramid helmet. They aren't taking anything that could cause anything negative whatsoever.
Yes you're right, Mojang wouldn't put anything in it. But I know very well known people that have over 4000 bots from doing things like that. Anyways being how old the poll is, I don't care it mojang watches us or not, no damage would be done.
Posted Image [SSSS]

ghasthugs

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Another thought, they could detect players who create swastika patterns turn them over to be investigated.
Is anyone saying same-sex couples can't love each other? I love my children. I love my friends, my brother. Heck, I even love my mother-in-law. Should we call these relationships marriage, too?" –Rick Santorum

Sting_Auer

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostQuazimortal, on 11 March 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

You don't seem to understand, I don't care if it is personal information or not. I don't want them taking any information at all, it's a matter of privacy and I like mine.

If you aren't worried about anything that matters being snooped on, why do you care?
Posted Image

SILLYJIMMY5

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

View Postghasthugs, on 11 March 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

Another thought, they could detect players who create swastika patterns turn them over to be investigated.
Yeaahhhh, I don't see that happening.
Then who was phone.

Whiplashr
    Whiplashr

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1404 posts
  • Minecraft: Whiplashr

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostQuazimortal, on 11 March 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

I wouldn't say nobody cares, if you look at the poll results you can obviously see some people care. It's just that the majority don't seem to care about the privacy of their computers.

And yes, I think it's an invasion of my privacy regardless if they take sensitive information or general information.

This is the kind of absolutist mentality that is wrong with the world today. You have no ability to be pragmatic, or find a reasonable middle ground. You just insist on black and white thinking. Which is hopeless idealistic.  You refuse to see it as anything other than a full on invasion of your privacy, even when it's completely innocent.

That's a problem with you. It's not a problem with the software, or Notch, or anyone else. The world is not so black and white.  Things are not always absolutely right or wrong, regardless of the details.

View PostQuazimortal, on 11 March 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

I get it completely.  You aren't really standing for that though. Nor are the others that have complained about it.  You are muddying the waters, and making fallacious appeals to peoples emotion and sense of individuality, over something completely innocent. You are fear mongering.  You are being paranoid.

And trying to act like it's completely reasonable.  Which is farcical.  It's just a red herring/distraction from the real issue.  It's nothing more than emotional appeal to people.  It's not remotely logical or rational.

You hold a ridiculous ideal, and are determined to stand by it forever, because you are too emotionally invested in it.    This happens all the times, in all areas of debate.  Idealism vs pragmatism.  And pragmatism is always the better course of action. Idealism leads to irrational, nonsensical behavior, driven solely by the need to defend the ideal.

Quazimortal

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Wow, talk about a pointless and needless rant. I never once said that things were black and white, perhaps you should read more carefully before going off the handle?

What I said was that collecting data was an invasion of privacy, regardless of if the data is personal or general. That is a 100% true and provable statement. Would you like me to prove it for you?

Flameofice
    Flameofice

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1130 posts
  • Minecraft: Flameofice

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

View Postghasthugs, on 11 March 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

These forums.

The only one of few spots in the Internet where people twist anything another says into insane, outlandish BS that not even someone completely insane could believe even remotely.
"Science isn't a matter of WHY, it's a matter of WHY NOT? WHY is so much of our science dangerous? Why don't you marry safe science if you love it so much? In fact, why don't you invent a special safety door that won't slam you in the butt on your way out? BECAUSE YOU ARE FIRED!" -Cave Johnson