Latest News Article

* * * * * 7 votes

Minecraft News - Sneak Peak Jeb Interview, XBOX Splitscreen

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

Sacheverell

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Posted Image

This week, David & Toby cover a range of topics, from Notch's recent BAFTA Award announcement, a look at the new split-screen gameplay feature of the XBLA Minecraft port news on this week's snapshot, and a sneak peek at an interview with Jens "Jeb" Bergensten, with special focus on modding for Minecraft - take a look!

________

Notch Revisits Piracy

Not long ago, Notch had a chat with Chris Hecker (of Maxis fame) at the recent GDC regarding the sensitive, ongoing issue of software piracy.  While his quote is often mis-attributed ("If someone copies your game a trillion times, you won’t have a single lost cent”); the message seemed less about legitimizing piracy, and more about sending a message that worse things exist in the industry - and that pirated copies of the game could easily become bought ones, if the potential future customer were treated right.  He went on to say that he "still think[s] piracy is wrong, but it's the level of wrong...me calling my friend an idiot. It’s wrong, but it’s such a minor thing. It’s ridiculously small."

He Also Reveals...

In other discussions at GDC, Notch talked with Chris about his thoughts on developing Minecraft, indie titles in general, and the curiously unanswered mystery of why no females appear to exist in the game.  Among other things, Notch speculated that "about 62.5 percent" of any given behavior in-game was intentional, the rest being emergent behavior from the code that he wasn't expecting, but liked anyway.  Wolves chasing sheep is one example of such a happy accident that ended up becoming an important bit of the setting as time went on.

He speculated that one of Minecraft's strongest suits is its lack of proper tutorials or official instructions in-game, as it always encouraged players to interact with each-other to exchange crafting tips and secrets.  He was especially thrilled at how players became dependent on one another for the information, and it developed a culture of its own - a culture of crafting.  Of course, despite all the unearthed crafting secrets, apparently one still remains; regarding a secret recipe, he said "there is one [recipe] people haven't found yet."

From there, he was curiously silent about what it could be.  Can you discover it?

Register or log in to remove.

Usbdriver
  • Minecraft: Usbdriver

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

A secret? Better get hunting!

ElectroHaiso

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I read about this in GameInformer....I haven't found the secret yet....

Posted Image

zryn
    zryn

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

what could the secret resipe be? or is there even one at all? maby he wants us to think that there is one so we try to discover it,but there isnt
really one at all. IF someone knows the recipe, if there is one please tell me

GreenDecoy

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

A secret recipe? It sounds interesting indeed but probably it's some stuff like "The secret recipe is love, dedication, blahblahblah" I doubt that with all the ppl out there playing minecraft every day there's still something undiscovered about it.

Also, I think I'm in love with Notch's piracy policy.

Firechicken
    Firechicken

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1185 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Piracy will never end.
I'm not with it, but it will never end.

Firedragon86
  • Minecraft: firedragon86

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Not sure  if we have a troll as a game creator,making us pursue for a unexisting recipe, what wouldbe a nice joke, or if it really exis. If it really does, Notch should have put it in a different code folder or something like that ( i'm not a programmer=P ) or modders should have found it ages ago.
God Notch bless us.

Firehobbit
  • Minecraft: Firehobbit

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

I know nothing about coding, but could someone decompile minecraft's code and look there for the secret recipe? Or would that take a ridiculously long time?
The world is an oyster. The jury is still out on whose it is. My name is in the consideration. I like that. Pearls, here I come.
On another note, I've met Chuck Norris. I'm deadly serious.

_Steve_IHD_Enderslayer
  • Minecraft: IHDEnderSlayer

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Some one look for the secret recipe! I wonder what It might be...
Posted Image

IAreKyleW00t
  • Minecraft: IAreKyleW00t

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Maybe that "secret" is only the recipe... Perhaps we've already had the item, but no one knows how to craft it? (I'm talking about how mods like TMI give you all the times).

For example for those who don't understand.... Chainmail. People can get the item through multiplayer, SMP, etc by putting in the simple Item ID. Legitimately you can't craft it (it's made with the "Fire" block, which is unobtainable). Maybe... there is a way to make "Fire"?

Quote my post to make sure I see it.

the_soup

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Like the previous poster said, there is no 'secret' item, as we know the entire list of in-game item codes. Honestly, I'm more willing to believe that Notch is just trolling us (think of Herobrine) than that there is some secret recipe no one's found yet.
Posted Image

DanTheMann1218
  • Minecraft: Craftineer

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

I actually think it's when you smelt diamond ore, you get a diamond. I found this back in Beta 1.5.
Posted Image

JustinP232

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

A secret recipe doesn't necessarily have to be a new item.

CrazyHamster_42
  • Minecraft: CrazyHamster_42

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

See you later guys, I'm off to look at the code a bit. [img]http://static.minecraftforum.net//public/style_emoticons/default/steve_wink.gif[/img]
Posted Image

shadooklaw
  • Minecraft: shadooklaw

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

darnit guys! it aint a recipe! notch himself said so! [quote][color=#333333][font=Georgia][size=3][left]While all the recipes have been discovered, Notch says there is still something secret in the game nobody has discovered yet[/quote][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Georgia][size=3][left]if you dont believe: [/left][/size][/font][/color][url="http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/07/notch-talks-minecraft-development-regrets-and-piracy.aspx"]http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/07/notch-talks-minecraft-development-regrets-and-piracy.aspx[/url]

Posted Image

FPSgasper13

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Here is a pic of the item. [url="https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/hmm...%20.png?w=5f2f4ed0"]https://dl-web.dropb....png?w=5f2f4ed0[/url] Check the original terrain.png in the minecraft.jar
if you don't believe me. [img]http://static.minecraftforum.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img] What is it, though?
Notch isn't trolling anybody.
Maybe they haven't added craftablity yet?

Check out RealLan for all your Lan server needs:

http://www.minecraft...ands-and-fixes/

BopMeExtreme
  • Minecraft: BopMeExtreme

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

[quote name='Craftineer' timestamp='1331323604' post='13367377']
I actually think it's when you smelt diamond ore, you get a diamond. I found this back in Beta 1.5.
[/quote]
^this

because the game-console states there are 177 recipes on load, and the wiki lists 177, too. it says 174 in the text on top though. but i counted.
the only things not counted are smelting-recipes, which are listed as follows:
    addSmelting(Block.oreIron.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.ingotIron));
    addSmelting(Block.oreGold.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.ingotGold));
    [b]addSmelting(Block.oreDiamond.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.diamond));[/b]
    addSmelting(Block.sand.blockID, new ItemStack(Block.glass));
    addSmelting(Item.porkRaw.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.porkCooked));
    addSmelting(Item.beefRaw.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.beefCooked));
    addSmelting(Item.chickenRaw.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.chickenCooked));
    addSmelting(Item.fishRaw.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.fishCooked));
    addSmelting(Block.cobblestone.blockID, new ItemStack(Block.stone));
    addSmelting(Item.clay.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.brick));
    addSmelting(Block.cactus.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.dyePowder, 1, 2));
    addSmelting(Block.wood.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.coal, 1, 1));
    addSmelting(Block.oreCoal.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.coal));
    addSmelting(Block.oreRedstone.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.redstone));
    addSmelting(Block.oreLapis.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.dyePowder, 1, 4));
1.Everybody deserves help. You can only gain experience through failure.
2.Maximum signature length 2 lines? SRSLY?

Zinic
    Zinic

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

A secret recipe? A recipe for love? A recipe for disaster?  The recipe for disaster sounds more like it. There should be no secret when people are snooping around the coding.

Posted Image

shadooklaw
  • Minecraft: shadooklaw

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

[quote name='BopMeExtreme' timestamp='1331323902' post='13367488']
^this

because the game-console states there are 177 recipes on load, and the wiki lists 177, too. it says 174 in the text on top though. but i counted.
the only things not counted are smelting-recipes, which are listed as follows:
addSmelting(Block.oreIron.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.ingotIron));
addSmelting(Block.oreGold.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.ingotGold));
[b]addSmelting(Block.oreDiamond.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.diamond));[/b]
addSmelting(Block.sand.blockID, new ItemStack(Block.glass));
addSmelting(Item.porkRaw.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.porkCooked));
addSmelting(Item.beefRaw.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.beefCooked));
addSmelting(Item.chickenRaw.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.chickenCooked));
addSmelting(Item.fishRaw.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.fishCooked));
addSmelting(Block.cobblestone.blockID, new ItemStack(Block.stone));
addSmelting(Item.clay.shiftedIndex, new ItemStack(Item.brick));
addSmelting(Block.cactus.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.dyePowder, 1, 2));
addSmelting(Block.wood.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.coal, 1, 1));
addSmelting(Block.oreCoal.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.coal));
addSmelting(Block.oreRedstone.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.redstone));
addSmelting(Block.oreLapis.blockID, new ItemStack(Item.dyePowder, 1, 4));
[/quote]
no this has been known a long time. but does this code say you can smelt coal, redstone and lapis too? or am i reading it wrong, as i dont code myself?

Posted Image

DrunkMalak

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

This is aprils fools joke...