• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

This may seem like a odd idea but I think it would be a different solution to magic potions, stackable food and creating sand which everyone has been talking about. to the game
You can make 2 kinds of grinder
A Coal powered grinder
Brick=material
Iron=air
[iron]  :D  [iron]
:brick:  :brick:  :brick:
[iron]  :brick:  :brick:
And a wind powered grinder which would need to be built at a higher altitude in order to get enough power
:brick:  :brick:  :wood:

You can use the grinder to grind various materials. You can create a healing paste by grinding brown mushrooms, healing paste is stackable but only heals half a heart. Its to heal outside combat and is space efficient
Grinding red mushrooms creates a weak poison you can apply to weapons for 1 use
Grinding Red flowers creates a powder that can be used as a very weak explosive and start fires
Grinding Yellow flowers creates a powder that gives a temporary boost above your normal max health for 60 seconds
Grinding Blue flowers (if they are added) creates a stackable paste that can allow you to breathe underwater for a few extra seconds
Grinding a shrub creates a antidote to poison (But it only has a 50% chance of working so multiple doses may be needed)
Grinding gold ingots creates Gold leaf which can be used to decorate armor and weapons
Grinding Stone creates gravel and eventually sand
Grinding pork creates processed meat, healing 2 hearts but can be stacked into a stack of 8
Grinding gunpowder causes an explosion
Grinding TNT causes an explosion
Grinding coal causes a fire
Grinding flint or flint and steel causes a fire
Grinding glass turns it back into sand
The rebellion has already begun. Otter Forums

Register or log in to remove.

Menen
    Menen

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2543 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:10 PM

Glass shoulnt become sand again.

It should be glass shards.

And Grinding flowers should be used for making dyes.

Kilgallon said:

MomizerRox said:

ZarroTsu said:

Creepa stole ma bike.  [SSSS]

Sooo... when's the next seecret Friday update topic going up? =[
On Friday.

Could you simplify that please?

I don't quite understand your logic.

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

Menen said:

Glass shoulnt become sand again.

It should be glass shards.

And Grinding flowers should be used for making dyes.
How about if putting the flower powder into water creates dyes. That way we get twice the functionality!

Eztuzt
    Eztuzt

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

I've actually been thinking of grinding stones since the tools and weapons came out, but I only thought they'd have three uses:

The rock grinding seems useful and could help for areas where sand is rare or nonexistant.
Grinding non-wooden tools and weapons could add a bit more to their durability meter, but only useable per item once or twice.
Grinding flowers and mushrooms shouldn't give potions, but dyes to combine with cloth to get colored cloth.

The only other thing from your list that I think would be good would be meat grinding. It should only be applicable to raw meat (Making ground meat), and then have to be cooked to be edible, but I'm doubting the sanity of grinding meat on a grinding wheel.

Another thing to think about would be foot-powered grinding wheels, where right-clicking them fast enough in succession causes them to go off, or something like that.
Gigantic list of ideas -Click- You will be astounded.

Providing raw
turtles to YOUR fortress.

qlmmb2086

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

I don't see why we have to limit ourselves to assuming a grinding wheel would have to be powered to begin with; if it's like your standard middle-age foot-pedal grinder, you can assume your character is pumping it as long as it's "in use," a.k.a. being right clicked.  That would make it much easier to implement and easier for players to use it, as it would essentially be another version of the crafting table, except with only one square for input.

While I would prefer the creation of sand to be handled by erosion (thereby taking advantage of the standard block-to-block interactions Notch already wants to put in the game)  I'd be all for using this for turning plants into dyes or other products.  Realistically, Notch will have to come up with some way to add colors to cloth blocks anyhow.
Ideas I support: Leaf Deterioration Fix, Erosion and Slime: HALF IMPLEMENTED, Shift-Click Shortcuts, Moon Phases, Item Auto-equip

JosefKald said:

Minecraft...where the men are men, there are no women, and the sheep are very, VERY scared.

Smoo
    Smoo

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:00 AM

Well, wheat doesn't magically become bread.

First, you need to thresh it to seeds, grind it up, and THEN you only have flour.  From there, dough, heat and THEN bread.

I can see the flour+water=dough shortcut bypassing all the other ingredients and steps in the process.  But buying an initial bag of seeds and making a windmill/water wheel near a farm to grind wheat into flour would get realism points.  (I think the eggs/butter/yeast/etc etc etc ingredients/steps are more annoying than they are worth in realism though.)

qlmmb2086

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:34 AM

Hmm... that sounds reasonable: set up a grinding wheel, use it like a crafting table to turn wheat into flower, craft the flour with water (when or if we ever get buckets) to make dough, and then place the dough on the furnace to produce bread.  Lengthens the process of creating bread quite a bit and makes it much more involved, but it has two major benefits;

-Making bread actually makes sense, and gives someone who wants to play as a "farmer" character something more interesting to do than attack dirt with a hoe
-"Seed" drops would no longer need to replant, since it would make more sense to just plant surplus grain

Though... I suppose the second one could happen regardless of extending the bread-making process.
Ideas I support: Leaf Deterioration Fix, Erosion and Slime: HALF IMPLEMENTED, Shift-Click Shortcuts, Moon Phases, Item Auto-equip

JosefKald said:

Minecraft...where the men are men, there are no women, and the sheep are very, VERY scared.

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

Yes bread making using the grinding wheel is also great!
Also the idea on the foot pedal, the faster you click on the foot pedal the quicker it grinds and the more high quality the finished product is.

MacGruber

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

Anybody remember the idea for a gramaphone to play custom music on square LP's?

The record player craft would make a good chassis for a rotary grinder with the turn table rotating the millstone.

http://diamond-rangers.webs.com/

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

dlseth
    dlseth

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:43 AM

MacGruber said:

The record player craft would make a good chassis for a rotary grinder with the turn table rotating the millstone.

Now I cant shake the idea of someone chucking a millstone on a record player and idly flicking the 78/45 RPM switch on the crushed remnants of the player...

Alexandervo

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:51 AM

We should need to grind wheat into flour before we bake it into bread! Very cool idea.

dorsidwarf said:

whut would you actually se them for? other than other implausibkle suggestions?
spell check  died today...

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

dlseth said:

MacGruber said:

Now I cant shake the idea of someone chucking a millstone on a record player and idly flicking the 78/45 RPM switch on the crushed remnants of the player...
lolwut
But yes combining a gramaphone with this sounds odd.

MacGruber

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

I mean that the gramaphone and the millstone constructs would likely require several distinct blocks. In this case, the rotary mechanism from the record player would support and rotate the millstone instead of a record.

like this...
Posted Image

But with the handle on the side (or not existing at all since it would be rather boring to wait there cranking) and a relatively small grindstone (this isn't industrial scale production) positioned horizontally on the top. The flour would be retrieved from the bottom drawer.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Alexandervo

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:01 AM

This would also work well with my suggestion on how gears could move power fairly. With a few power sources (Not going to get into detail, IM NEVER GOING TO GET INTO DETAIL) it could work like a forge.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12523

dorsidwarf said:

whut would you actually se them for? other than other implausibkle suggestions?
spell check  died today...

Mystify
    Mystify

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4899 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

If grinding stuff gave you powders that were important components to a hypothetical potion-making process it would be cool.

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

MacGruber said:

I mean that the gramaphone and the millstone constructs would likely require several distinct blocks. In this case, the rotary mechanism from the record player would support and rotate the millstone instead of a record.

like this...
Posted Image

But with the handle on the side (or not existing at all since it would be rather boring to wait there cranking) and a relatively small grindstone (this isn't industrial scale production) positioned horizontally on the top. The flour would be retrieved from the bottom drawer.
That would be too complex, I think just a furnace styled interface with a button for grinding (Which you need to mash) will be best.

MacGruber

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

blaster said:

MacGruber said:

like this...
Posted Image

That would be too complex, I think just a furnace styled interface with a button for grinding (Which you need to mash) will be best.

I wasn't talking about the interface, simply what the unit would look like.

MC Fanatic

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

I agree with everything aside from the flowers. Herbs should be responsible for that. the flowers would make dye. I also like the idea of putting tnt in it giving it a 10 second timer

Who the hell goes on the internet to try and beat someone up verbally?

redrager
    redrager

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

pitfalls that drop players into a grinding wheel? <3
Posted Image Posted Imageimplying you can kill my eggs

Swingerzetta
  • Minecraft: Swingerzetta

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

The whole system looks nice, but I gotta say, those crafting recipies make no sense at all. No matter how I look at it.
I also don't think it's reasonable to have a complex machine with several parts, like a Grinder, be crafted on a 9/9 grid in one go. I'd think tihs would work better as a higher-tier item, making use of several multi-purpose Components rather than be a.. diagonal goldfish cracker made of stone, or something.