59 replies to this topic

la233
    la233

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hey there,

the spawn area on my SMP server (vanilla) is quite dead as its running since 0.2.4. My plan is to bring some villagers there and repopulate the area.

The next non-dead village is about 2500 blocks away. I secured the village and began to build a fenced way towards my spawn. I plan to build little villages every 500 blocks to let them rest and breed.

Now the problem is: They don't move along my fenced way. I cut two of them off the main village and forced them into the fenced way, but its extremely difficult to move them. I can run towards them and move them one or two blocks and build more fence behind me so they move along very slowly, but even this is really difficult with two villagers, because i mostly get only one to move.

Any suggestions how to handle these villagers, how to transport them over large distances? I thought about letting them get chased by a Zombie to speed them up, but my first attempts failed. They just panicked in the corner, trying to get to the village, not along my way (opposing direction)...

bye,
laZee

Register or log in to remove.

Suho1004

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

Have you tried getting them into minecarts?

la233
    la233

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostSuho1004, on 05 March 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

Have you tried getting them into minecarts?

not yet, i tried to make a more resource-friendly approach. because 2500 distance (diagonally, unfortunately) costs a load of iron :/

PsychoIncarnate
  • Minecraft: PsychoIncarnate

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

If it's your server, or if you are a mod, couldn't you just spawn villager eggs?
Getting Spawn Eggs in Survival - Pokemon Style
http://www.minecraft...-pokemon-style/

la233
    la233

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostPsychoIncarnate, on 05 March 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

If it's your server, or if you are a mod, couldn't you just spawn villager eggs?

maybe i could, but i'd like to stay completely legit on this server. SMP, no mods, no tricks :)

Marfagames

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

View Postla233, on 05 March 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

not yet, i tried to make a more resource-friendly approach. because 2500 distance (diagonally, unfortunately) costs a load of iron :/
You still could use minecart Posted Image Just build a little section and then destroy the stuff behind the minecart and build it on the front of tracks again, then shove the minecart again, and so on. That way it doesn't need to much of recources. Or just find a abandoned mineshaft and pillage the tracks from there.

Posted Image

Bldsquirrel

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

I"m planned on moving some villagers a good 6-7000 blocks via railway, but most of it is being built already for other reasons. We've got an old village on my server with no villagers that needs to be repopulated, a few places along the way that I want to populate.

DJDude97
    DJDude97

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • Minecraft: DJDude97

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

um water currents?
Check out my youtube channel! Minecraft Let's play, SMP stuff, and CTM Maps!
http://www.youtube.c...LordOfLagiacrus

Toffeegerbil
  • Minecraft: ToffeeGerbil

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

Use snowballs if its survival: they will move them loads and hurt like 1 heart if any at all. OR use eggs which do no damage whatsoever. Chuck them at them and they will move.

Acteon
    Acteon

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • Minecraft: Archon951

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'm about to do the same thing, and also trying to keep a 100% legit server.

I guess I'm lucky that the village is only 1600 out in one direction; but thats still quite a distance.
(Even more lucky that the village is on top of an abandoned mine, a sign perhaps?)

Posted Image

Marfagames

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

I used for my first village migration fences which I collected from a mineshaft XD, That was back then when Villager couldn't breed. I belive I had around 4 or 5 stacks full of fences and just placed them through the huge desert to my Tristram to increase the population count.

I can't belive how much work I invested in leading the villager from one village to my own. And now I invent stuff to kill them =/.

Posted Image

StalePhish
  • Minecraft: StalePhish

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Use minecarts and rails. Just move them about 100 blocks and then take the rails from behind you and put them up front. Repeat. Then when they get to your town, make houses with wooden doors and they'll automatically start breeding. I brought 7 villagers from an NPC village to my town and there must be 15 to 20 of them running around now.

Nadni
    Nadni

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Minecraft: Nadni

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

How can you put villagers/mobs in minecarts?

Marfagames

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

View PostNadni, on 05 March 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Just push them near it, they will go in automaticaly if they are near it.

Posted Image

HScrozzy
    HScrozzy

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1459 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

water currents.
note: Then I mention a group of people in my posts, i mean the majority of information i have seen from that group, and my statement may not be accurate for every individual in that group.
Posted Image

StalePhish
  • Minecraft: StalePhish

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostNadni, on 05 March 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Lay minecarts around them and then push a minecart at them when they're walking across the track and they'll jump inside. Then just punch the minecart VERY CAREFULLY upon reaching your destination to make them get out.

Nadni
    Nadni

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Minecraft: Nadni

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostStalePhish, on 05 March 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Lay minecarts around them and then push a minecart at them when they're walking across the track and they'll jump inside. Then just punch the minecart VERY CAREFULLY upon reaching your destination to make them get out.

Thanks!! Posted Image

Danster5oo
  • Minecraft: Danster5oo

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

Try making "fake" houses.

Posted Image
Remember kids, when the mod crashes delete system32!

la233
    la233

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

thanks for the suggestions so far :)

I tried water currents first, but i had big trouble getting the villagers into the stream, so i gave up on that. I tried throwing snowballs at them and indeed, they move, but they stop when they run towards a higher block. Even throwing more stuff on them doesn't make them jump on that block. Maybe i should have tried a bit harder, but i gave up on that, too.

I finally used the minecart method. Getting them into it is really easy if you build the start of the track in front of their favorite house in the village. They usually hang around the entry when the night is over. Pushing them into the cart is fairly easy, moving the cart works perfectly (and 1 block height differences are no showstopper anymore).

It stays resource-hungry, though. I'm gonna remove the already used tracks and reuse them. Hint for removing tracks: Use a bucket of water and they'll jump off the ground really fast.

Thanks everybody :)

Daaryl
    Daaryl

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Minecraft: Daaryl

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

View Postla233, on 05 March 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

maybe i could, but i'd like to stay completely legit on this server. SMP, no mods, no tricks Posted Image
sometimes its okay to spawn