Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Do I have to open the port in Norton?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Gamer123e4
  • Minecraft: Gamer123e4

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:36 AM

I have Norton as my firewall and I checked an open port check website and port 25565 is closed. So I found out how to open ports in Norton, but don't want to screw anything up. Ideas?

View Postpokkep, on 09 August 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

To give our children and future generations hope, we must destroy every child on Earth and never have any more. I have already started this misson, child numbers have been halved in my local district. Will you join the cause?

Register or log in to remove.

Oodles
    Oodles

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:40 AM

Gamer123e4 said:

I have Norton as my firewall and I checked an open port check website and port 25565 is closed. So I found out how to open ports in Norton, but don't want to screw anything up. Ideas?
Yes, you'll have to open the port in the firewall.

Gamer123e4

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:52 AM

Okay, I think I created a Firewall rule that opens the port but the port checker still says it's closed. WTF

To give our children and future generations hope, we must destroy every child on Earth and never have any more. I have already started this misson, child numbers have been halved in my local district. Will you join the cause?

Oodles
    Oodles

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:57 AM

Did you open it on your router?

Gamer123e4

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:04 AM

Yea and When I had tested with my friends it showed their attempt, then it would say connection timed out and my Internet would crash. I want to run a server though, so that's why I need help

rch
    rch

Minecraft.cm

• Members
  • 4104 posts
  • Minecraft: rch

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:14 AM

What is the speed of your internet? Are you using broadband or dialup?

If you're using broadband and you don't have a very high upstream then you likely wont be able to run a server.

Go to www.speedtest.net and respond with the results of your test.

Gamer123e4

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

I'm using broadband and my up is around 2 of whatever it's measured in. I'm also pissed at Norton and was wondering if any could pm me specific instructions on how open a port (with Norton Security Suite). I'd really appreciate it :chestfront:

rch
    rch

Minecraft.cm

• Members
  • 4104 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

I don't personally use any Symantec products like Norton but I am almost sure that if you check their website (www.symantec.com) that you'll be able to find a FAQ or KnowledgeBase article describing how to do so. You can also attempt closing/disabling Norton and trying to run your server, if it works without Norton running then you know that Norton is the cause of your issues. :Zombie:

Gamer123e4

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

Thanks I think I'll check the website again but turning off my firewall doesn't sound like the greatest idea. I think I'll try that later if nothing else works.

rch
    rch

Minecraft.cm

• Members
  • 4104 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

I meant it as a temporary thing to troubleshoot the cause of your inability to connect to your server. If you disable the firewall and you are able to connect, you then know that the firewall is what is blocking your access and that you'll have to set up your firewall to allow connections to Minecraft.

I didn't mean to turn it off completely, just giving you some simple troubleshooting tips and things to try.

Gamer123e4

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

I disabled the smart firewall and the port is still blocked. DANG IT.