dsandys
    dsandys

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

... will I live to fight another day.

Hi miners & craftsmen/women,

The screenshot shows my situation and full inventory - I'm playing hardcore mode and have full health but only two hunger drumsticks left. My wheat farm is just five blocks (two can be seen in the picture - the other three are just out of shot and were planted at the same time). I have a self-imposed animal-friendly rule, so I can't go and kill a pig. I found no mushrooms in my locality.

I'm standing in a hole in the ground waiting for the wheat to ripen. Is it worth the wait, or am I likely to starve before that happens?

Posted Image

As an aside, I recommend animal-friendly, vegetarian hardcore mode as a bit of a challenge. In my case it was made doubly difficult by spawning in an ocean (is that a glitch?) with just a couple of small treeless islands nearby. Had to swim for three minecraft days and nights before finding land with trees. On the way I found another small treeless island where I collected the sugar canes and killed a zombie. (Would that it had been a skeleton - I might've been able to craft some bonemeal!)

Register or log in to remove.

grumphie
    grumphie

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

if you satnd still and do nothing, no, you wont starve to death. once you get your hunger back up again, i advise you get a stone sword and murder some skellies for bone meal. 1bone=1bread

Sirbrandino

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

The first question would be: Do you have bonemeal? Probably not, but its worth asking.

Second question: Does the wheat farm have water near it. If the ground in hydrated, then you should be all right, if not, go find mobs and kill them so you can eat (hostile mobs that is)

EDIT: I see now the ground is hydrated.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DeathViruzX
  • Minecraft: DeathViruzX

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Go and hunt zombies for some yummy zombie flesh.

dsandys
    dsandys

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thanks, for the replies.

So, if I stand still my hunger bar doesn't deplete? That's good to know.

I have zero bonemeal (my full inventory is shown in the screenshot), but all five farm blocks are next to water. None is illuminated by a torch though, so I suppose that will slow growth down (no growth at night?)

Ideally I'd like a skeleton or two to come and stand by my peephole, close enough for me to murder. But it hasn't happened yet.

I did eat one piece of zombie flesh on the way - it poisoned me. I'm not sure I got any nutrition from it.

blackXD
    blackXD

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Minecraft: daanvdv
  • Xbox:Iloveps3

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

If you have killed the zombie first eat that zombie flesh than stand stiil till the wheat grows

TheCheeseMaster

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Eating just one zombie flesh is pretty counter productive, since the poison doesn't "stack" you can eat multiple zombie flesh (at least 4 would be worthwhile) but still only have the malus of one
Nemesis Minecraft YouTube Channel
"I haven't had this much sex since I was a boy scout leader, I mean, at the time, I was dating alot" - Lt. Frank Drebin

Wolfpax
    Wolfpax

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

I know you're playing hardcore mode, but what difficulty do you have the same set on?  On easy you'll only starve down to 5 hearts, normal you starve down to half a heart, and on hard, yeah, dead.  Corrected, and not rudely!  I'm impressed.

Also, protip for eating zombie meat, eat it and stand still till the hunger debuff is gone.
Do you have a lovely bunch of coconuts?  Do you have them all standing in a row?  Are there big ones, small ones, some as big as your head?

Necal
    Necal

Carpenter

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostWolfpax, on 04 March 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

I know you're playing hardcore mode, but what difficulty do you have the same set on?  On easy you'll only starve down to 5 hearts, normal you starve down to half a heart, and on hard, yeah, dead.

Also, protip for eating zombie meat, eat it and stand still till the hunger debuff is gone.

hardcore is hardcore, there is no other difficulty.  He will starve to death if his food bar reaches 0.

Everyone here is correct, though, your best bet is probably to stand very still until the wheat grows.  It will be boring but you will survive.

Wolfpax
    Wolfpax

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostNecal, on 04 March 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

hardcore is hardcore, there is no other difficulty.  He will starve to death if his food bar reaches 0.

I suppose that's what I get for having no patience for that sort of thing.
Do you have a lovely bunch of coconuts?  Do you have them all standing in a row?  Are there big ones, small ones, some as big as your head?

dsandys
    dsandys

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Well, I let Minecraft run while I did other things in RL. On returning to the game I had enough wheat to make a loaf and hadn't lost any more drumsticks.

Thanks for the help.