• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

'Can't Connect to Minecraft.net' & 'Too Long to Log in' MASTER THREAD

Minecraft.net error 1.2.3 too long to log in support mojang master thread connecting to server help update bug glitch

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

Toffeegerbil
  • Minecraft: ToffeeGerbil

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

'Can't Connect To Minecraft.net', 'Took Too Long To Log In': MASTER THREAD

Problem: After updating to 1.2.3 the user experiences a blank grey screen when running minecraft. In addition they can no longer log in using the client, nor can they connect to ANY servers, running 1.2.3 or otherwise.

Hypothesis: All of the symptoms: grey screen, unable to log in, unable to connect to any servers are most likely caused between a lack of communication between the client and minecraft.net. (Which may have to do with uses running a 64 bit OS - read on)

WHAT IS THIS THREAD

I am almost adamant that this is a problem on Mojang's end rather than that of the user. There have been 15 threads relating in some way to this problem in the days since 1.2.3's release yet no official response. This is a thread to link them together to try and attract some official attention. I will update this thread with any new information as and when it comes out.

---

The Problem:
Posted Image

"<html><body><font color="#808080"><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><center>Failed to update news<br>java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect</center></font></body></html>"

No MC splash screen, it takes 20 or so seconds to "log in" where the user will get the error: Unable to Connect to Minecraft.net In addition, if the user presses "play offline", when trying to connect to any server they will experience the error: Took Too Long To Log In

(Note that play offline is greyed out in my picture because I reinstalled windows in an attempt to fix the problem, and the MC files dont download to your /appdata/roaming/.minecraft folder until a successful log in - so i'm without singleplayer too! - Edit: This can be cured by playing singleplayer once, using the browser - that still works)

Error when trying to join any server:

Posted Image

Why are we getting the problem?

From what I have seen, and my own experiences this is because we are using 64 bit Operating systems, browsers and java etc. It would make sense as I believe 1.2.3 had some sort of update for 64 bit clients included. This is what has gone wrong in my opinion. In regards to connecting to servers, this is NOT because the server host has or has not updated to 1.2.3 the problem is present when trying to connect to ANY server. This, and this is a hypothesis, is because your client connects to minecraft.net to authenticate your account when logging into every server. This is why illegally downloaded copies cannot play multiplayer - as they dont have a premium MC account.

Solutions Tried by the Community:
  • Disable Firewall: X
  • Disabling anti virus: X
  • Download 64 bit Java X   - Personally I have tried 6 update 31, 6 updated 29, both 32 & 64 bit.
  • Upgrade to Java 7 update 3 X
  • Update Java X - Across the threads 20+ different Java releases have been tried.
  • Reinstalling MC by deleting /.minecraft folder and re-playing X
  • Reinstalling the Operating System X
  • Using a previous Jar file, for say MC 1.2.0 X
  • Downgrading an online server to a previous build X
  • Running MC in 32 bit mode, or any compatibility mode X
  • Receiving the .exe from a x64bit windows 7 that works X
*Users can still access the game through the browser, but will be unable to connect to any servers regardless of which version the server is running.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you have tried anything else, please post below and I will add it to the list.

Other Threads Relating to This Issue:
(I would list the 'users' experiencing the issue but the list would be too vast) Most state they are using a 64 bit OS.
It would be great if you guys could head over to some of these topics and direct them here. As a new member (just made this forum account because of this bug) I only have 8 more posts today, and I would like to save those for this thread.

My Current Java and System Specs:
(And other resources that may help Mojang)
Posted Image

TerraSleets' specs:
Java: SE 1.7
ISP: UWE Bristol's ResNet
Proxy: uni custom proxy .pac

Oakelys' specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
5GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB
Java Version (Tried 6 and 7, 64 and 32 bit - no difference)

Isaacs' specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel i7 2720QM @ 2.2GHz (3.0 turbo)
8GB dual channel DDR3 RAM
Dell/Alienware
Alienware M14X
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555m (3GB) and Intel HD Graphics (1GB)

*At this stage, almost without any shadow of a doubt an issue exclusive to those running 64 bit Operating Systems

Video of the issue, uploaded by Mariofan1:
-------

Please could you direct all other threads to this master thread. If we make it a hot topic it may get noticed by Mojang. There has been no official response yet, but buckets and buckets of topics - often poorly written with ridiculous solutions offered by the community. I myself play on a fast paced griefing server and my stuff is getting destroyed as we speak, we all have our reasons for wanting to get back to playing this great game. Mojang, help us!

Posting system specs and Java versions here will also help.

Mariofan1: IMPORTANT
Everyone who has twitter should tweet this message:
@notch @jeb_ @jonkagstrom @carlmanneh @mollstam @Kappische http://www.minecraft...-master-thread/ This is important, huge minecraft bug.

Register or log in to remove.

Toffeegerbil

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Update

Mariofan1 has just uploaded a video of the problem:

mariofan1
  • Minecraft: Recraftguy
  • Xbox:Recraftguy

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

*bump
We need somebody to spam the entire Mojang team's twitter accounts with this forum topic.
I hope that this problem will be fixed at some point.

I should also add that I started having this problem while using the 1.2 snapshots.
I was hoping that mojang would fix it some way with the official release of 1.2.

RtYyU36
    RtYyU36

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • Location: That place over yonder, where faceless demons dwell
  • Minecraft: Wesley91011
  • Xbox:WebHead89

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

I think this is good to have a master thread. But I am also sure that Mojang is well aware of the problem and are trying their best. Another 1.2 update will come out soon that probably fixes this.
War is great to those who have not experienced it - Pindar

mariofan1

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

BTW
You can still play minecraft in the browser, you just can't use mods.
Well, I can. Not sure about other people.

Toffeegerbil

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

View Postmariofan1, on 04 March 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

BTW
You can still play minecraft in the browser, you just can't use mods.
Well, I can. Not sure about other people.

As can I but it is limited to single player as any attempt to connect to outside servers results in "Connection Timed out: Connect" or "Took Too Long to Log in". Probably due to the connection to minecraft.net issue (which is very ironic as it is actually ON minecraft.net)

Posted Image

monster10
  • Minecraft: monster10

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

My system Information:

Time of this report: 3/4/2012, 10:25:07
  • Machine name: Monster
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
  • Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  • System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
  • System Model: Studio 540
  • Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8300  @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
  • Memory: 6144MB RAM
  • Available OS Memory: 6144MB RAM
  • Page File: 2556MB used, 12798MB available
  • Windows Dir: C:\Windows
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 11
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I can log-in to the launcher, but not any servers.

Toffeegerbil

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Bump to bring it up to the top for more people to see.
It would seem that there are more topics over in the "accounts" section of the support forum.

Uneiss
    Uneiss

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Same thing happens to me, but I can't even play on browser.
PS:My windows is 32-bit.

TerraSleet
  • Minecraft: TerraSleet

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thank you for making this thread, hopefully it'll highlight the issue to Team Mojang. I've been having this problem before 1.2.3 (I can see the splash screen just fine but "can't connect to minecraft.net") and I thought it was something to do with me logging in from a University proxy but looking at all the people experiencing the problem it seems more likely to be Mojang's problem.

Just for added info incase this hasn't already been posted, the launcher attempts to connect to: "https://login.minecr...ersion=13"  and fails. I can connect to SMP servers fine with the 1.1 client via the browser but installing mods causes the browser version to crash so I am forced to go vanilla.
I encourage all people having the problem to post extensive information about their OS, Java version, their ISP and their proxy (if using one).

For me:
Java: SE 1.7
ISP: UWE Bristol's ResNet
Proxy: uni custom proxy .pac (not disclosing extra info for potential legal reasons)
Posted Image

Toffeegerbil

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

I have sent an email to the customer support and have many of the other non official ones. If anyone has twitter it may be worth @'ing some of the staff. It must be hard having a crew of 15 to serve a userbase of 5,000. I think this is the last post i need to be approved to become an actual forum member - if a mod is reading this perhaps make it known to someone?

I am using staffordshire uni's res net at the moment but it has never been a problem in the past. Although I dont use a proxy.

mariofan1

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

IMPORTANT
Everyone who has twitter should tweet this message:
@notch @jeb_ @jonkagstrom @carlmanneh @mollstam @Kappische http://www.minecraft...-master-thread/ This is important, huge minecraft bug.

It goes to most of the mojang crew and if loads of people tweet it, they might just notice!

Toffeegerbil

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Update

Added two more links to topics where people are experiencing the problem. One is coming in about every hour.
Added Terra's specs and Mario's message.

Also bump to keep this up the top, hopefully people will read it instead of creating another topic.

Edit: Also listed this in the two "report-a-bug" topics located on the updates forum section.

Oakleysworld

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi. I also have a similar problem. I can play in the browser perfectly fine. However, the launcher just crashes/freezes up when executed and I can't even enter my login details. Same grey screen as everyone else is experiencing.

I've tried many fixes that I've seen across various forums including the ones mentioned in the OP with no success.

System Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
5GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB

Java Version (Tried 6 and 7, 64 and 32 bit - no difference)

Thanks for any help.

PS: I have been having this issue for months. It started around the release of 1.0 Minecraft but I gave up after weeks of searching for a fix, contented with the browser version. Getting desperate to play some mods now though...

TerraSleet
  • Minecraft: TerraSleet

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Just tried running minecraft.exe in a 32 bit VM, no luck.
Posted Image

mariofan1

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Bump*
Random word here to prove it isn't spam: Mashed spaghetti on toast.

Toffeegerbil

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

I am really regretting updating to 1.2.3, the issue with this bug is you cant just revert to 1.1 and fix it, you are actually stuffed until Mojang come and help you.

mariofan1

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Wait... If we can't connect online through the client it means that many people won't be able to update when this is fixed...
D:

The T Dawg
  • Minecraft: TheTDawg3191

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

i was having random crash problems myself. i tried re-downloading minecraft, even went as far as wiping the .minecraft folder from my appdata folder. i checked the .minecraft folder's contents and it was EMPTY. is that supposed to be like that? im assuming not.

Toffeegerbil

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostThe T Dawg, on 04 March 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

i was having random crash problems myself. i tried re-downloading minecraft, even went as far as wiping the .minecraft folder from my appdata folder. i checked the .minecraft folder's contents and it was EMPTY. is that supposed to be like that? im assuming not.

You are fine, I encountered the same problem when I deleted my .minecraft. The issue is the files wont redownload back into that folder UNTIL you successfully log in. What I did to fix it was to log into single player using the browser version on minecraft.net - that will re download the files into your .minecraft folder.

Unfortunately it wont fix the big issue, but at least you now have SP back.