• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Are you going to stop calling Notch greedy now?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Sting_Auer

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Read the front page of hte forums. This just about removes all priveleges to claim that he is greedy beyond normal human levels.

Now, everyone shut up about notch being greedy. He's kind of lazy - but come on, who isn't? - but not greedy.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

_Ploppy_

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Nope, he paid shares out to mojang staff equal to 0.12% each of the total 100 million, 3 percent combined.  It wasn't a gift.

He could have made them all millionaires and had stupid money left over.

Greedy Notch is greedy :D

Though in his defence he is no longer an indie dev, he's a big player now so he can hoard is money and forget where he came from :P

Smashmello

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

!! This comment may contain sarcasm. and nuts. !!
of course notch is greedy. he will spend all his 100 million for a big house and cars and food. why should a buisinessman try to hold up his company, publishing other projects and this stuff.

seriously, do you think that he uses the money for hiself? f.e. you need a lot of money for a backup for mojang in case that cobalot and/or scrolls flop. and that is just one use.

Netherspawn

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

3 million for him are as much as three pizzas for you. If someone was greedy, would his friends stop calling him so when he gave them a free pizza? I doubt it.

MeatyMike
  • Minecraft: Magicandle

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

His employees chose who they worked for.
I built a pc!

Landalos
    Landalos

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Minecraft: Landalos

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

I doubt Notch spent any serious amount of money on his company. Definitely not on minecraft.

It doesn't matter if he is greedy or not, he has money, that means he is better than everybody. Rule of our world :P

Smashmello

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostNetherspawn, on 04 March 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

3 million for him are as much as three pizzas for you. If someone was greedy, would his friends stop calling him so when he gave them a free pizza? I doubt it.
well, he is an employer who pays a wage to the employees, not a "friend" who gives them a pizza.
one das not simply give 3% of the total capital of a company to the employees...that is not the usual case...
also, that is fuckin 120000 for each! thats three years of working, a house, two times five right numbers in lotto. a huge amount of money.

Clingcreeper
  • Minecraft: Clingcreeper

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Well hey, the Mojang team seems pretty happy about it.
Posted Image

Elemental
    Elemental

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1244 posts
  • Minecraft: Elem3ntal

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

As other users said already, three million is something Markus could miss easily. He made in total one billion USD out of Minecraft. Comparing that too the three million, it's nothing.
But that doesn't change it for the employees. Three million dollars is still a sh*t load of money and I'd love to take some of it for myself Posted Image

Off-topic: Curse, why did you delete my personal font Posted Image If this is in Century Gothic, there's still hope

EDIT: Nevermind, it's still here.

I also make music, check out my channel - http://www.youtube.c.../SkylerOfficial
And remember, kids; the cake is a lie!

Orreven
    Orreven

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Minecraft: Orreven

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

View Post_Ploppy_, on 04 March 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Nope, he paid shares out to mojang staff equal to 0.12% each of the total 100 million, 3 percent combined.  It wasn't a gift.

Greedy Notch is greedy Posted Image

Though in his defence he is no longer an indie dev, he's a big player now so he can hoard is money and forget where he came from Posted Image
Actually, he didn't get all of the 100 million for himself, he is in a 25 man company.  Admittedly, it didn't start out that way, but the more people that were hired, the more sales there were, so even still, he didn't get all that money.  Again, though, admittedly, the CEO gets the most of the profits, but that's because they own the company.  Plus also, in that headline, HE said that 3 mil was his earnings for 2011, so, yeah..... That was his entire year's salary.  Not quite three pizza's, eh?
For backwards time travel to be possible, wouldn't every instant in the universe have to be stored somewhere, or time to be something physical you could travel through? Either way doesn't work with the current laws of physics.

_Ploppy_

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostSmashmello, on 04 March 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

!! This comment may contain sarcasm. and nuts. !!
of course notch is greedy. he will spend all his 100 million for a big house and cars and food. why should a buisinessman try to hold up his company, publishing other projects and this stuff.

seriously, do you think that he uses the money for hiself? f.e. you need a lot of money for a backup for mojang in case that cobalot and/or scrolls flop. and that is just one use.

Jeez I didn't know that it cost so many millions to make cobalt and scrolls :o  They will be the mostest biggestest game ever!!!!

View PostNetherspawn, on 04 March 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

How the f*** can 3 million dollars equal 3 pizzas, I bet where you come from people get paid carrots instead of money =D

View PostMeatyMike, on 04 March 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

His employees chose who they worked for.

View PostSmashmello, on 04 March 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

well, he is an employer who pays a wage to the employees, not a "friend" who gives them a pizza.
one das not simply give 3% of the total capital of a company to the employees...that is not the usual case...
also, that is fuckin 120000 for each! thats three years of working, a house, two times five right numbers in lotto. a huge amount of money.

They were dividends - shares not wages, lot of money though 120000 though it won't get you a house unless you live in a slum area :/

Also, roughly 6-12 years of working for a lot of people - life can be tough :(

View PostClingcreeper, on 04 March 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Well hey, the Mojang team seems pretty happy about it.

How do you know?  Did you ask each and every one of them?  Any more lies like that and I'll pour hot Jam down your pants :D

View PostOrreven, on 04 March 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Actually, he didn't get all of the 100 million for himself, he is in a 25 man company.  Admittedly, it didn't start out that way, but the more people that were hired, the more sales there were, so even still, he didn't get all that money.  Again, though, admittedly, the CEO gets the most of the profits, but that's because they own the company.  Plus also, in that headline, HE said that 3 mil was his earnings for 2011, so, yeah..... That was his entire year's salary.  Not quite three pizza's, eh?

When it's all mentioned in one news post it does look bad, not sure if he would miss his years salary seeing as he got loads in the bank anyway, I bet he didn't use a bank - he just put all his money in his socks and used them to hit poor children ;)

So, sorry but you are all starting to sound like naive fanboys, Notch has gone from indie dev/ceo to big greedy company ceo, I honestly would not have said this when I bought minecraft in beta 1.2 but I feel sorry for jeb, he gets 120000 although he has done a lot of work with Notch on minecraft.  After 'official release' Notch jumped ship to leave jeb to clean up the bugs.

Yes I know there no big lists of facts and figures saying who got paid what and the whole truth of everything but from what we know so far, Notch is greedy ;)  (prove me wrong and I'll actually like it, facts please, no protecting a man you know nothing about!)

Bule
    Bule

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

View Post_Ploppy_, on 04 March 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

How do you know?  Did you ask each and every one of them?  Any more lies like that and I'll pour hot Jam down your pants Posted Image

Y u no Twitter Ploppy?

Aside from leaving Minecraft development to Jeb (Not abandoning it like any other CEO would have done.) which is understandable and which others see as a good thing for a reason of their own, I have absolutely nothing against the man (for now) and as a person he gets my full respect.

Yes I know there no big lists of facts and figures saying who got paid what and the whole truth of everything but from what we know so far, Notch is greedy Posted Image  (prove me wrong and I'll actually like it, facts please, no protecting a man you know nothing about!)

How ironic.
Posted Image

Conker
    Conker

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2807 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

View Post_Ploppy_, on 04 March 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Greedy Notch is greedy Posted Image

Though in his defence he is no longer an indie dev, he's a big player now so he can hoard is money and forget where he came from Posted Image

Also he just did it so it wasnt taken in taxes as a tax return
Posted Image

Smashmello

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Jeez I didn't know that it cost so many millions to make cobalt and scrolls Posted Image  They will be the mostest biggestest game ever!!!!

They were dividends - shares not wages, lot of money though 120000 though it won't get you a house unless you live in a slum area :/

Also, roughly 6-12 years of working for a lot of people - life can be tough Posted Image

as far as i know, people are working on cobalt and scrolls, which means that hype or flop of projects make plus or minus. of course these are not the biggest games ever but i also dont think that that is what notch is going to do. i guess he will take some larger projects in some time, maybe years, but still 100 million arent this much in gamingindustry.

well with the wages i just meant the relation between friends/rich friend or whatever and employer/employee.
still, dividendes are not usual for epmloyers as far as i know. but i might be wrong with that.
and i also think that a successful company means higher wages in the usual (good) case and as long as we dont know how much jeb & co. get paid i dont think that we may judge notch.

Adebar
    Adebar

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1079 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Since when was Notch greedy?

MooMan1029

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Since people realized that he had money and was willing to share it with his coworkers.

metroidfood

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostElemental, on 04 March 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

As other users said already, three million is something Markus could miss easily. He made in total one billion USD out of Minecraft. Comparing that too the three million, it's nothing.
He hasn't made anywhere close to one billion dollars.

5 million * $27 is roughly 135 million. That's at the release price tag. Assuming 1 million sold during Alpha, 2 million in Beta, and 2 million after release thats:

(1 million * $15) + (2 million * $20) + (2 million * $27) = $109 million dollars.That's before PayPal fees and Sweden's ridiculous tax rate.

It's still nothing to sneeze at, but it doesn't make 3 million chump change and it's only 1/10 of a billion dollars

_Ploppy_

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Isn't it funny that if you post something bad about Notch you get lots of comments on your post, if you provide useful advice and links then nobody thanks you :D

I guess we all like to have a good rant :P

Also, thanks to all the people who replied to my post, I can tell you all put some thought into it ;)

I feel all enlightened now!

Conker
    Conker

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2807 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostMooMan1029, on 04 March 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Since people realized that he had money and was willing to share it with his coworkers.
Notch said hismelf he gave the money to them so taxs didnt steal it from him and he could file a tax return for business expenses -.-
Posted Image

Koeky
    Koeky

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Minecraft: Koeky

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

heh he's not greed, he worked hard to own all that money. He just had a bit of luck.
And yes offcourse the other employies at mojang also worked hard, yet none of them had the luck of making a successfull game like Minecraft.
so... this is my signature?