• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How to speed up Minecraft (Possibly the best working so far)

speed up minecraft tangletail low end computers faster chunk update multicore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Tangletail

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hello all I am here to tell you of a good way to speed up minecraft. I am not going to say much do to the closeness of all other other guides, but their is one slight change to the entire tutorial. Before I go on, this is for those who's FPS is around 15-20s on a low-mid range multi-core computer. Here is a nice explanation before moving on.

While minecraft has seen a nice performance boost without some horrendous chunk updates, it still has an optimization problem, and in fact it seems to have an issue with multicore systems. Which means in other words is, that it doesn't like them. In fact it's rather close to the unreal engine where you tend to get better performance on one core.

This is what you do. After following the rest of the tutorials on minecraft, you have three things left to do, and tone thing not to do.

Before doing anything, lower your screen resolution down two levels. This is to reduce the amount of pixels your GPU must draw. Most of the time with computers now, you should barely see a graphical difference at all.

When the instructions tell you to open up your task manager to change the priority to high, do not do it. Why not?  This will cause threading issues, which means that threads will begin to clash into one another and cause throttling over the entire computer's CPU head time. Just leave this set to normal. That's your one thing not to do.

While keeping the same task manager open, and right click the Java run-time environment process. Select the affinity option and deselect everything, leaving only one core. When you are done, just close out of the task manager and play your game.

Oddly enough, Minecraft will typically see a speed up (I went from 15-21 to  28-48 FPS). On the normal tutorial, you will be lucky to see any change. Again this is odd to me seeing how minecraft re-compiles on every run instance to optimise it's self for your system.

If you don't see a performance boost, play around with Advanced OpenGL. I found that I had to turn this off, again weird seeing how my processor supports hardware acceleration and it's OpenGL 4.2
Why hello there sir... look into my eyes, and then... you shall see... the end. ~ Quote from Enderman.

Register or log in to remove.

ImThat1Guy
  • Minecraft: ImThat1Guy

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Posted Image
Lowering your screen resolution increases performance!
Posted Image

View PostCentrallyProcessed, on 31 January 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

AMD cards are like UK buses, y'know?
Big, red, and they have bad drivers.

View Postshairn, on 11 February 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

Being obese only harms yourself, unless you fall on someone or something.

CentrallyProcessed
    CentrallyProcessed

SCT Overlord bow in fear before his might

• Sectional Moderator
  • 5329 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostTangletail, on 02 March 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

When the instructions tell you to open up your task manager to change the priority to high, do not do it. Why not?  This will cause threading issues, which means that threads will begin to clash into one another and cause throttling over the entire computer's CPU head time. Just leave this set to normal. That's your one thing not to do.
That makes no sense. The reason it may appear slower when you assign a higher priority is because of Minecraft and Java's fairly terrible garbage collection, so it will just fill the RAM with useless things and that will cause a performance deterioration.

The same goes for assigning only one core; instead of feeding on multiple core resources (as minecraft is slightly multi-threaded) it will feed on one's, which means other processes have more resources to deal with. The garbage collector is also a factor here.
C# and D programmer, web designer and developer.

I am a representative of DemonVPS. (https://www.DemonVPS.com)

baggerboot
    baggerboot

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 4872 posts
  • Minecraft: baggerboot

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

-Get Optifine (Try all of them to see which one works best for you)
-Kill dwm.exe and explorer.exe in Task Manager (to get your fancy GUI back, open TM again, File > new Task > explorer.exe > ENTER)

These two are guaranteed to work. It is said that using jre7 instead of jre6 also helps.
~$

CentrallyProcessed
    CentrallyProcessed

• Sectional Moderator
  • 5329 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Postbaggerboot, on 02 March 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

-Kill dwm.exe and explorer.exe in Task Manager
Doesn't killing explorer.exe remove the taskbar?
I accidentally did that once, and I couldn't use WinKey + R to open Run; it simply refused.

baggerboot
    baggerboot

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 4872 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

View PostCentrallyProcessed, on 02 March 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Doesn't killing explorer.exe remove the taskbar?
I accidentally did that once, and I couldn't use WinKey + R to open Run; it simply refused.
Restarting it via Task Manager works for me. But yes, it does remove the taskbar.
~$

CentrallyProcessed
    CentrallyProcessed

• Sectional Moderator
  • 5329 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

View Postbaggerboot, on 02 March 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

Restarting it via Task Manager works for me. But yes, it does remove the taskbar.
Hmm. Might be my computer.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend killing those processes to someone not-so-tech-literate.

jmm98
    jmm98

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • Minecraft: jmm98

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

It would be nice when you set the affinity to know which core is running the least amount of processes so minecraft has more cpu time.

baggerboot
    baggerboot

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 4872 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

I have messed around with the affinity plenty of times, both on dualcore and quadcore systems, but I always end up with less FPS.
~$