Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Windows 8 Bad Video Card Driver


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1

Sir_Shattered
  • Location: PA
  • Minecraft: Sir_Shattered

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

I installed the windows 8 consumer preview today and now anytime I try to play minecraft I get this:



  Bad video card drivers!
  -----------------------

Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.
This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.



--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 7fe0271 --------
Generated 2/29/12 8:14 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.1
OS: Windows NT (unknown) (x86) version 6.2
Java: 1.7.0_03, Oracle Corporation
VM: Java HotSpot™ Client VM (mixed mode, sharing), Oracle Corporation
LWJGL: 2.4.2
[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:230)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:648)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT 8076995e ----------


I checked my video card driver (nvidia geforce 6150s) and everythings up to date.
I searched around the web and from what I seen, its probably because the video card isnt compatible with W8 yet. I went and searched to see if I can go back to W7 but again, from what I read, once W8 is installed you cant go back. I dont have a W7 disk as it was already on my PC.

Please help :(

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Legionairre95

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

Hi Sir_Shattered.

I downloaded Windows 8 Consumer Preview as well today, and i had exactly the same problem you had, but i found a solution for it.

http://www.geforce.c...s/Results/41694

This is the Beta driver for Windows 8, and it works fine for your driver.
I just installed it, and it works totally fine.

I hope this will help you.

#3

evilmunky010
  • Location: Illinois

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

The drivers that windows update installs might not work correctly. Check the nvidia/ati websites for the beta drivers but if you're like me and have cards that are not supported by the beta driver, try installing the normal driver in windows 7 compatability mode. I did this and everything is working fine.

Quote

Anyone can fly. The secret is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

#4

Sir_Shattered
  • Location: PA
  • Minecraft: Sir_Shattered

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

Thank you both for the speedy responses. I tried using the beta driver that Legionairre95 posted (which was the beta/legacy driver) and everything works fine now.
once again, many thanks and Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image's to you both :D

#5

reck13ss
    reck13ss

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm having the same problem on Win 8 Preview x64 with AMD card (HD5830). And I can't seem to install driver from this link: http://support.amd.c...n8-preview.aspx (keeps getting an error). Did any ATI-user managed to run Minecraft on Win8?

#6

iScream
    iScream

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Try getting the driver for win7 and install in compatibility mode, I think it should work..
The driver windows installs is just so that it works.

#7

reck13ss
    reck13ss

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the idea, but it didn't go well - if I install win7 drivers w/o compatibility, it has no "Display Driver" checkbox (obviously, cause it doesn't fit win8, duh), but it completes the install (there is unremovable "amd catalyst install manager" checkbox), but when i try it WITH compatibility, it hangs on installation of this  "amd catalyst install manager", which I can't skip and install the driver.

I also tried AMD auto driver find, which says that I have the latest driver, but for "unknown 64 bit system"

#8

ads12
    ads12

    Newly Spawned

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Hi,
I have a similar problem.I installed windows 8 consumer preview on my Acer Aspire S3 with Intel 3000 integrated graphics. Intel do not have any beta drivers and I tired downloading the drives in windows 7 compatibility mode but it didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas?

#9

PneumonicFungus

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostLegionairre95, on 01 March 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

Hi Sir_Shattered.

I downloaded Windows 8 Consumer Preview as well today, and i had exactly the same problem you had, but i found a solution for it.

http://www.geforce.c...s/Results/41694

This is the Beta driver for Windows 8, and it works fine for your driver.
I just installed it, and it works totally fine.

I hope this will help you.

Says my OS isn't supported..

Posted Image


#10

goldhaxx
    goldhaxx

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Location: Orange County, CA
  • Minecraft: goldhaxx

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

To anyone using ATI Graphics: You must download and install Windows 7 drivers to play Minecraft and use openGL features. This has to be done with precise steps and REQUIRES at least ONE reboot of your PC.

I've read many guides/walkthroughs online with people stating they've got MC working on ATI GFX using Windows 7 drivers for their Windows 8 Consumer Preview OS. I followed the steps below to make this work.
  • Uninstall Windows 8 Engineering Sample Drivers. If the uninstall prompt allows you to also delete the drivers during installation, tick the box to do so. After uninstalling the drivers, also uninstall any versions of ATI Catalyst that is installed on your PC.
  • After your drivers/software have been successfully uninstalled, REBOOT YOUR MACHINE.
  • When Windows starts back up your GFX card(s) should be running without any driver installed. This can be checked in the device manager under the Display Adapters tree. If it says Windows 8 Engineering sample then you've got to uninstall the drivers again and reboot your PC.
  • Download the most recent version of your GFX cards Windows 7 compatible drivers. Mine personally (Radeon HD 4890) use the 12-2_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe driver.
  • I've downloaded and installed the Win7 64bit drivers on my machine and now they show up as ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series in Device Manager. This clearly indicates that I've completely removed the Engineering Sample drivers that won't load Minecraft due to openGL issues.
  • Reboot your machine after installing the Windows 7 drivers. This is just for good measure. Make sure your cards still read Radeon HD XXXX in Device Manager after you've rebooted.
GLHF. Just keep at it and you'll find a fix. Don't be lazy.

#11

zidanetribal21

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

View Postgoldhaxx, on 20 March 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

To anyone using ATI Graphics: You must download and install Windows 7 drivers to play Minecraft and use openGL features. This has to be done with precise steps and REQUIRES at least ONE reboot of your PC.

I've read many guides/walkthroughs online with people stating they've got MC working on ATI GFX using Windows 7 drivers for their Windows 8 Consumer Preview OS. I followed the steps below to make this work.
  • Uninstall Windows 8 Engineering Sample Drivers. If the uninstall prompt allows you to also delete the drivers during installation, tick the box to do so. After uninstalling the drivers, also uninstall any versions of ATI Catalyst that is installed on your PC.
  • After your drivers/software have been successfully uninstalled, REBOOT YOUR MACHINE.
  • When Windows starts back up your GFX card(s) should be running without any driver installed. This can be checked in the device manager under the Display Adapters tree. If it says Windows 8 Engineering sample then you've got to uninstall the drivers again and reboot your PC.
  • Download the most recent version of your GFX cards Windows 7 compatible drivers. Mine personally (Radeon HD 4890) use the 12-2_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe driver.
  • I've downloaded and installed the Win7 64bit drivers on my machine and now they show up as ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series in Device Manager. This clearly indicates that I've completely removed the Engineering Sample drivers that won't load Minecraft due to openGL issues.
  • Reboot your machine after installing the Windows 7 drivers. This is just for good measure. Make sure your cards still read Radeon HD XXXX in Device Manager after you've rebooted.
GLHF. Just keep at it and you'll find a fix. Don't be lazy.

I seem to be stuck in an infinite loop.  Every time I restart, the "Engineering Sample" is reinstalled.  I tried deleting the driver files listed in System32 and SysWOW64, but they seem to come back no matter what.  Since I can't get past this step, I feel kind of stuck.  I'm running an HD 4890 as well.

#12

goldhaxx
    goldhaxx

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Location: Orange County, CA
  • Minecraft: goldhaxx

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

View Postzidanetribal21, on 26 March 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

I seem to be stuck in an infinite loop.  Every time I restart, the "Engineering Sample" is reinstalled.  I tried deleting the driver files listed in System32 and SysWOW64, but they seem to come back no matter what.  Since I can't get past this step, I feel kind of stuck.  I'm running an HD 4890 as well.

Don't know what to tell ya man, guess it's just a matter of trial and error. At some point in time my drivers also went back to the Engineering Sample, but I can still run MC. Just try different combo's and hope to get to your final destination. May also want to see if a second set of drivers was released for Windows 8 RC. Also, send an email to AMD regarding this topic. I did the same and I think if they get enough attention they'll have to listen. That is the whole point of releasing Beta drivers (public testing for public input).

#13

davie1722

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

I was having this problem today and it would seem I needed the new beta drivers for my Radeon 6770 from ATI/AMD for Windows 8 Release Preview Download HERE

worked for me anyways
try at your own risk :)

#14

DeathFortress
  • Location: Sydney

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Or you could switch back to Windows 7 and get Windows 8 when it officially comes out! I am so exited for Windows 8 :0 It will be so much faster and I think it will be a lot cleaner.

Quote for me to get back to you :)

Posted Image


#15

Ejdamm
    Ejdamm

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

View Postzidanetribal21, on 26 March 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

I seem to be stuck in an infinite loop.  Every time I restart, the "Engineering Sample" is reinstalled.  I tried deleting the driver files listed in System32 and SysWOW64, but they seem to come back no matter what.  Since I can't get past this step, I feel kind of stuck.  I'm running an HD 4890 as well.
Had the same problem and this is how I solved it (also 4890). I have swedish language pack on windows 8 so my translations of the menus maybe not is 100% consistent.
  • I Downloaded 12-2_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe driver and extracted it to it's default destination (C:\AMD).
  • Uninstalled the Windows 8 Engineering Sample Drivers in the device manager
  • Installed an older driver by "install drivers that already exists on the computer >> choose from a list of drivers on the computer >> install Microsoft basic display adapter."
  • Then it was possible to install the downloaded ATI drivers manually from "install drivers that already exists on the computer >> choose directory where you extracted the drivers (C:\AMD) >> install