Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How to check my server logs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Godzpker333
  • Minecraft: godzpker

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

How can i check back to what people did and said stuff and destroy stuff like and chedck the ips that  connected

Register or log in to remove.

jefe
    jefe

Creamymin

• Forum Admin
  • 16134 posts
  • Minecraft: jefe323

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

Go to your servers root folder (the same folder as server.properties and minecraft_server) and right click server.log and select "Open With" and select Notepad

bacon_avenger
  • Minecraft: bacon_avenger

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:31 AM

View Postjefe323, on 27 February 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Go to your servers root folder (the same folder as server.properties and minecraft_server) and right click server.log and select "Open With" and select Notepad
Going to have to disagree with Jefe.  If you are using windows, the included wordpad program is much better at handling the file format that the server.log is in (it doesn't string every line one after another).

As far as the file goes, it will show what is said and the IP's of who connected, along with the player names they used.  However, it will not show what they destroyed, you need a server like bukkit or canary with a block logging plugin such as logblock or hawkeye.
I ride the bukkit on Linux with a PEX shooter at my side.  Please don't PM me for help, PM's don't help the community at large as it's not publicly viewable.  Use pastie or pastebin for files, I will not download files.  Click the up arrow if I helped. (I also do YT Vids)

jefe
    jefe

Creamymin

• Forum Admin
  • 16134 posts
  • Minecraft: jefe323

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:33 AM

View Postbacon_avenger, on 27 February 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

Going to have to disagree with Jefe.  If you are using windows, the included wordpad program is much better at handling the file format that the server.log is in (it doesn't string every line one after another).

As far as the file goes, it will show what is said and the IP's of who connected, along with the player names they used.  However, it will not show what they destroyed, you need a server like bukkit or canary with a block logging plugin such as logblock or hawkeye.

crap, I meant to put wordpad, but it got mixed up in my head (talking with a friend over skype and notepad came up).

OP: I highly recommend getting Notepad++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

bacon_avenger

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

Double plus on the notepad++ suggestion.  For windows, it's one of the best editors out there.  Very useful program.
I ride the bukkit on Linux with a PEX shooter at my side.  Please don't PM me for help, PM's don't help the community at large as it's not publicly viewable.  Use pastie or pastebin for files, I will not download files.  Click the up arrow if I helped. (I also do YT Vids)

Hairymexican69

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Postbacon_avenger, on 27 February 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

Double plus on the notepad++ suggestion.  For windows, it's one of the best editors out there.  Very useful program.

My log is 622,752kb notepad++ says it is too large.. What can i do?

bacon_avenger

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

View PostHairymexican69, on 29 January 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

My log is 622,752kb notepad++ says it is too large.. What can i do?
In your case, I'd try wordpad to view it (wordpad doesn't apparently try to load the entire file at once).

The problem with that is wordpad may not deal with the formatting correctly, making it look all kinds of ugly and hard to read.

Try it and see.  If that doesn't work, stop the server, delete the log file, and restart the server so it will recreate it and generate the error.

SevereMatrex

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

So I don't have a server.log file.... I deleted one day because it took up lots of space so I figured it would come back when I restarted my server but no...

I even tried to create one myself but nothing shows up in the file...

Survivzor

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

at some point in the last few months, server.log has been changed to a series of compressed files in a new folder called 'logs'

View Postrch, on 24 March 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

I use my shoe temporary Minecraft window sponge.