Latest News Article

[Guide] Building Your Base in Minecraft

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

isaac_bardin
  • Minecraft: idb79

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

POPULAR

This Minecraft Guide is part of a series that I'm writing on Minecraft! To get to the other Guides, click on my avatar! It'll bring you to my About Me page, which includes the links to my other Guides.

Thanks to DtPv2 for the awesome banner!

Posted Image

If you want the banner too, just copy this into your signature (Thanks to Hazali and DtPv2):

[url='http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1057372-guide-building-your-base-in-minecraft/'] [IMG]http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/4442/2o8721.png[/IMG] [/url]

How do I build an awesome base in Minecraft?

That's a question oft-asked here on the Minecraft Forums. There's many, many threads with people asking what they should put into their base, to make it more awesome. So here's a comprehensive list of things to remember when building your base, and what things you should have in your base. I realize there are other threads like this, chiefly the one started by user A Blind Moron, but this one is even longer and more detailed than most of the others.

Please note that all of the projects to make in your world that are detailed in here are useful for Minecraft purposes. In this thread, I won't give you ideas for building castles, or lighthouses, or mansions, etc. All of the ideas in here automate your Minecraft experience, and all of the projects have an actual use in your world that automates your Minecraft life even more.

Do you watch youtube channels like Etho and Docm77, where they have completely automated worlds and every cool invention possible? Possibly want an even better world than them? This list is for you, too! Many of the ideas brought up in this thread will give you ideas for cool things you could make in your world!

So, let's begin! Open the spoilers to find out whatever you want to learn about.

Caution for people with slow computers, opening all the spoilers will give you a block of text 15 pages long. Don't worry, though, pictures are wrapped inside individual spoilers.

Table of Contents
1. What to Put in Your Base
2. Block Combinations
3. Location, Location
4. General Tips

What to Put in Your Base

Spoiler:

Block Combinations

Spoiler:

Location, Location!

Spoiler:

General Tips

Spoiler:

More Helpful Links:
-the Minecraft Wiki may be found here!
-Etho (a YouTuber I referenced a lot in this thread) may be found here!
-Docm77 (a YouTuber I referenced a lot in this thread) may be found here!
-The most amazing video ever may be found here!

So, that's everything for now! Please post any more ideas for bases you have to add to the list down below, and I'll try to add them (no guarantees, though). This topic will be constantly growing and expanding, and over time I'll be adding more things to the list.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

riccardoNL
  • Minecraft: riccardoNL

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

Awesome, thanks for all these idea's, especially for those people out here who create tons of posts about them running out of ideas.. :P
Posted Image

DtPv2
    DtPv2

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Minecraft: DtPVVG

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

I really like this. Thank you for contributing to this forum in a great way. +1 for you!!

Posted Image

isaac_bardin

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostDtPv2, on 26 February 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

I really like this. Thank you for contributing to this forum in a great way. +1 for you!!
Sure! I like to contribute in any way I can. Hopefully, this thread can become a hub for building in Minecraft. I will be adding to it over time, and people can submit ideas to me to be included in it.

Because it got lost in the original post, I'll say it again: would someone mind making a banner for this thread? I'd love it a lot. :)
Posted Image

Lothos
    Lothos

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

so you copied a topic that blind melon made a few days ago and now want rep with it?

Posted Image

isaac_bardin

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostLothos, on 26 February 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

so you copied a topic that blind melon made a few days ago and now want rep with it?
Err... his name is Blind Moron. And no, I didn't copy him. That was from an earlier edit when I thought this topic was going to be about generally building things in Minecraft, rather than building bases. He had made a similar topic, so I wanted to credit him. But I never copied him originally, and certainly not now after writing this. He just had a similar idea, so I made this topic to expand on that.

Then again, because of your avatar and the fact that your user rating is 1 star out of 5 on your profile, I don't take you very seriously. I mean that in the nicest way possible.
Posted Image

KGsauce
    KGsauce

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

Nice post with lots of good information! :GoldBar:

Safari384

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

And I threw it on the ground! Where's my cookie?
I don't always die with full diamond armor, but when I do, it's because I fell off a cliff.

Lothos
    Lothos

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

View Postisaac_bardin, on 26 February 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Then again, because of your avatar and the fact that your user rating is 1 star out of 5 on your profile, I don't take you very seriously. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

omg, best response ever. You got called out and your defense is to rip on me. Nice.

Posted Image

isaac_bardin

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostSafari384, on 26 February 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

And I threw it on the ground! Where's my cookie?
Right here!

Posted Image

When I tell you that I'll do something (like giving you a cookie), I always do it! (most of the time)

The only problem is, now I'm hungry again because of that cookie photo. And I just ate dinner.  :mellow:

View PostLothos, on 26 February 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

omg, best response ever. You got called out and your defense is to rip on me. Nice.
I'll say this in the politest way possible, because I do not wish to start a flame war on my thread.

I did not copy any of the actual text from The Blind Moron's similar topic to mine. But I just wanted to credit him, because I got the idea for this thread from him. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding, and for ripping on you, if you perceive it that way. I don't want anyone to get angry at me for posting the thread, and I didn't post it for the rep. I was just hoping that someone will get something out of this topic.

Thank you for your replies, though. I'm glad to get any sort of feedback on my post, whether it's positive or not. I hope you feel I've solved this argument in a fair and just way. However, if you don't, you can always PM me and we can talk further.
Posted Image

Lothos
    Lothos

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

View Postisaac_bardin, on 26 February 2012 - 01:35 AM, said:

You sir get my first ever +1, and a cookie if I had one around here. My only complaint really was I had expected to see some kind of how-to building type tutorial guide with your subject. Not a list of building ideas similar to the other thread.

As for my typo, forgive me..."No Rain" was playing at the same time I was typing :)

As for my avatar, its an inside joke from many many years ago and I laugh when I see it. She's been elven thin on some websites and 300lbs and short on others :/ But people I've met elsewhere instantly identify me by it these days.

Posted Image

isaac_bardin

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

View PostLothos, on 26 February 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

...My only complaint really was I had expected to see some kind of how-to building type tutorial guide with your subject. Not a list of building ideas similar to the other thread...
Oh, OK! Thanks for the feedback! I'm probably not going to change the title, but as I said in the original post, this thread will be update over time with more how-to-y kind of stuff. Right now, this was all I had time to do, but all of this is only going to be a fraction of how long and detailed the final post will be. Right now, there's only 2 categories-- Things to Build in Your Base, and Block Combinations. Eventually, there will be more categories. :)
Posted Image

Lothos
    Lothos

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

I'm really curious about the seed farm. I'm not sure what you mean by it.

Posted Image

Wiredattendant95

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

A quick supply room like etho has in his old world where you just hit a button and get all your tools so you can quickly go to where you died

isaac_bardin

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

View PostLothos, on 26 February 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

I'm really curious about the seed farm. I'm not sure what you mean by it.
Oh, well, it's not very useful, because once you've started a wheat farm you have seeds anyway, but there is a roof of grass blocks with a one high space above them. Then you stand below the grass.

:grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass:          
:Notch:

Bonemealing a grass block to make tall grass works from below, too. So you click on the ceiling with bonemeal. Then, tall grass and flowers grow on the grass.

:YFlower: :YFlower: :RFlower: :RFlower:    
:grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass:    

Then, using a piston to control some water, the drops get washed down to you.
(imagine the brick represents the piston)

:YFlower: :YFlower: :YFlower: :YFlower: :RFlower: :RFlower: :RFlower:    :brick: :Water:
:grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass: :grass:        

Then the water washes the seeds through a hole on the right down to you. Then, you can grow tons of wheat! :)

View PostWiredattendant95, on 26 February 2012 - 01:56 AM, said:

A quick supply room like etho has in his old world where you just hit a button and get all your tools so you can quickly go to where you died
That's a good idea, but I already have that on the list!

EDIT: Oh noes! No no no no no! Part of the list apparently got deleted when I posted the thread! OK, at least I had a backup of the thread. Restoring the backup now, be back in a moment.  :rolleyes:

Silly me and my clumsiness on the forums.

EDIT again: Oh, good! None of it was deleted, but I accidentally had put half the topic in a spoiler. So now the original post is twice as long, because I took it out of a spoiler (where it was supposed to be. I had accidentally put it in a spoiler)

Thanks for the idea though, Wiredattendant95!
Posted Image

isaac_bardin

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

UPDATE: Thanks to DtPv2 for the awesome banner, which I'm uploading right now! It will be right there after I figure out how to use BBcode to link the thread to the banner.  ;)
Posted Image

FailedHail
  • Minecraft: Failedhail

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

Don't even get me started on Reed Farms... my sister and I had a contest a while back as to who could make the biggest one. She made one that got half an inventory full.... mine gave me three chests full. Sadly, that world got corrupted after our computer got a virus. Took me over an hour to make it...

Posted Image

isaac_bardin

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostFailedHail, on 26 February 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

Don't even get me started on Reed Farms... my sister and I had a contest a while back as to who could make the biggest one. She made one that got half an inventory full.... mine gave me three chests full. Sadly, that world got corrupted after our computer got a virus. Took me over an hour to make it...
Aw, sorry to hear that the world got corrupted. That would have made an awesome example in the original post...

Also, lucky you that you get to play Minecraft with your sister! My sister isn't too keen on Minecraft, LOL.
Posted Image

FailedHail
  • Minecraft: Failedhail

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

View Postisaac_bardin, on 26 February 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

Aw, sorry to hear that the world got corrupted. That would have made an awesome example in the original post...

Also, lucky you that you get to play Minecraft with your sister! My sister isn't too keen on Minecraft, LOL.

Some days it's a battle to get to play it since she plays so often =p

Yeah... I really wish we hadn't gotten the virus. I do, however, plan to build more unnecessarily large farms at some point. Wanna make a huge melon one, once I get some freaking seeds haha

Posted Image

Mylesfull
  • Minecraft: FatherMyles

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

Rick Rolled. God damnit. Very nice suggestions, I'm going to make an archery target for sure