• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Ideal Computer Specs for Minecraft.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

AceMining

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

Edit: It lagged a fair bit with Alpha too.

Since the computer I have lags so badly for Minecraft Beta, and I was going to be buying a new computer in january, I was wondering if these specs would run Minecraft Beta Smoothly with the render distance on far, the graphics bit doesn't bother me, but would these specs be able to do that?

AMD Athlon II X2 220 2.8GHz,
4GB RAM, 640GB HDD,
DVD Writer with LightScribe,
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

(Copied and Pasted from Amazon).

Register or log in to remove.

turtleaja

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

It definitely should work since my computer specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X@ 4200+ 2.2Ghz
3GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

And it runs flawlessly on render distance far although beta has made it a little laggier but it doesn't get annoying or anything.

What GPU would your new computer have?
Posted Image

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

AceMining said:

Edit: It lagged a fair bit with Alpha too.

Since the computer I have lags so badly for Minecraft Beta, and I was going to be buying a new computer in january, I was wondering if these specs would run Minecraft Beta Smoothly with the render distance on far, the graphics bit doesn't bother me, but would these specs be able to do that?

AMD Athlon II X2 220 2.8GHz,
4GB RAM, 640GB HDD,
DVD Writer with LightScribe,
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

(Copied and Pasted from Amazon).

Depends if that PC has a decent video card.
That one dragon coding thingy.

AceMining

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

turtleaja said:

3GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO

And it runs flawlessly on render distance far although beta has made it a little laggier but it doesn't get annoying or anything.

Can't seem to find a GPU on amazon, but I'm kind of blind, so if you can find it on this http://www.amazon.co... ... 386&sr=8-2

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

AceMining said:

turtleaja said:

3GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO

Can't seem to find a GPU on amazon, but I'm kind of blind, so if you can find it on this http://www.amazon.co... ... 386&sr=8-2

http://h10025.www1.h...=null&site=null

When in doubt, google with the model number.

On the bad side, it is as i feared integrated graphics, so what performance you'll get with minecraft is pretty much out there, but i'd say definitely more towards the low end side.

On the worse side, the motherboard has the very odd and underused PCI-E x1 slot(two of them), the x refers to the bandwidth of the slot basically, average video card these days uses a x16 slot, so if you can even fit one in that slot it would perform pointlessly. There -are- PCI-E x1 designed cards but they're pretty rare and i honestly know little about them.

It also has a microscopic power supply(180w) so you'd need to upgrade that to even fit any sort of video card probably.

Sorry if i'm being a killjoy, just making sure you know what you're buying exactly!

AceMining

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

If i'm honest, I didn't understand much of that, but one question, should I buy it? or should I look for something a little better? and if i did buy it, do you think I could have the render distance on far without it lagging?

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

AceMining said:

If i'm honest, I didn't understand much of that, but one question, should I buy it? or should I look for something a little better? and if i did buy it, do you think I could have the render distance on far without it lagging?

I'd look for something else honestly.

Also if you wanted a rough translation: It has graphics provided by the motherboard, no video card, thats really weak basically. The power supply is also too small if you wanted to add a real video card later, it doesn't provide enough power. The thing about PCI-E slots basically means the only slots you have to add a video card into later are really bad and won't work well with any modern video cards.

Short version: Bad PC for gaming both now and if you want to upgrade parts later.

AceMining

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

I've done some looking around, and would this be better?
http://h10025.www1.h... ... R1002_USEN

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

AceMining said:

I've done some looking around, and would this be better?
http://h10025.www1.h... ... R1002_USEN

That one is alot better, the power supply is still pretty weak so if you want to add a better video card in later you'd have to be aware of that, but it has a real video card atleast. Should work decently enough with minecraft.

Assassians4hire

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

I run Minecraft Beta with fancy, far and get ~40-60 FPS..

Windows XP ultimate service pack 3
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz
nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
2.7GB of ram (odd number, I know)

If you stats beat mine (well, video card isn't really necessary to beat) then you can play Minecraft without many problems ^^
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
"Coding is not my main qualification, even if it is one of the thing I enjoy the most in the world, beside drinking and sex ^^" - ProfMobius

TokerMate
  • Minecraft: TokerMate

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

I think you should build your own PC. You appear to be on a budget and building your own PC can save
you quite a lot of money if done right. I consider my self an "enthusiast" so I waste money building my
PC's but you can generally make a gaming PC with the same stats as "Name PC Company Here" but you
will pay quite a bit less because you bought the parts separately and built it yourself.

From your responses it is clear you're not extremely tech savvy but building a PC can be fun and really
easy, never too late to learn.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

lolo500
    lolo500

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2554 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

Guys, im also going to buy a new pc (well upgrading mine) cuz 2 days ago, dunno why, minecraft has been super laggy (7 fps on normal and 20 on tiny), i formatted the hard drive, reinstalled minecraft, but no luck, so, my current specs are:
Intel core 2 duo CPU E4500 2.20GHz
Windows 7 Home premiun  64 bits
and 1 gb of ram.

Im going to update ram from 1 GB to 2 GB so i can play again minecraft on normal render distance, so, could these specs and 2 gb of ram handle minecraft on normal render distance and fast graphics?

OR

Should i replace the hard drive? when i turn on the PC i get a message saying that the HDD has excedeed the parameters and i should back up data and i must press F1 to continue, and sometimes in the desktop i get a message saying: Windows has detected a problem is the HDD, and it tells me to back up or dont.

So, 2gb of ram or HDD and by doing this, could u play minecraft again?

Peace out and reply :iapprove:

Posted Image

ThatFerreroGuy

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

You should be fine since my old, now blown up, PC worked fine and is sub standard of yours.

1.8 ghz dual core

1gb ram

Ati HD2400 sapphire pro