129 replies to this topic

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

Welcome to Goklayeh's Redstone Lab!

A few month ago (more like two years now...) I started playing with redstone - without any prior knowledge in engineering or boolean algebra - and ended up with a world where were gathered the things I found, by myself or on the net.

As the map was getting more and more filled with useful contraptions, designs and components, and as some of my finds took me time, I thought people starting with redstone could beneficiate from this. Hence this topic.

If you have a beginner to medium level in redstone, high are the odds that this will greatly help you.

<<<Download the World Save here.>>>

Last update: August 1, 2013.

My Youtube channel.

<<<Pyrates' CommandBlock Lab.>>>

A pretty handy map about command blocks.

The map is divided in 4 parts:

> First part teaches redstone facts and displays the logic gates and latches. Pictures 1 & 2.

Spoiler:

> Second part countains the components that you have to make. Pic.

Spoiler:

> Third part gathers full devices, or more complex concepts. Pic.

Spoiler:

> Fourth and last part shows doors and traps. Pic.

Spoiler:

Color code for the different areas:

Redstone blocks explain the most basic mechanics. Beginners must start with this area.
Emerald are the logic gates and latches.
Iron are basic or widely-known things.
Gold are things made or reworked by me.
Diamonds are devices created by specific individuals, credit is given to them.
And lastly, If confused or lost, look for the lapis blocks!

Suggestions and questions welcomed.
Enjoy, use, spread, and give credits. Posted Image

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

A guide and ressource map.

Register or log in to remove.

Zhul
    Zhul

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Very nice testworld! Complicated doors are really fun, always struggling with the tradeoff between optimizing for size or speed. What's your preference there?

The upcoming glowstone behaviour will be quite interesting for tall sliding doors - those 4 wide ones are a pain to wire up right now. Don't know yet whether it will speed them up (replacing torch ladders), simplify them or maybe even complicate them (fighting unwanted wire connections may be hard). I'll try with mine, you with yours, deal? ;)
'That shop there ... was it there yesterday?' -- Terry Pratchett

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks! =)

I usually try to make my stuff both small and fast, if I can... The 3x3 and 4x4 are a good exemple of it I think :)

About the coming Glowstone behaviour, it's almost frightening how much it will change circuitry.
And as I will of course try to improve my previous work with it, you have a deal!

I just got your map, going to see how you do your big sliding things.
The circuit, but mainly how you power the pistons, I don't find my way of doing it very efficient.
Check out my 4x6 if you haven't done it yet, its way bigger than your designs, but looks like it's a bit faster.

*Also, Discworld reference signature?! Good job! ;)

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

chewdiamonds

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

seems cool.seen many piston doors already though...

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Considering I made those without any help nor prior knowledge, and they turn out to be the most fast and small ones since then, I can't help to be a bit proud of them and think they could interest and be useful to people. :)

There are a lot more stuff on my map too, I didn't want to make a video wall. Check the youtube channel and/or get the map ;)

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

th2802
    th2802

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

I love your 4x4 door mechanism.
I have made some mods so the closing only takes 3ticks, and the opening is 1tick less.
Take a look: http://www.mediafire...tnqe3524f1sf6ye

vince
    vince

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Good work!

But the lack of boobs is too damn disappointing.

Spidersonic

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Posted Image

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Ok, project will be on hold for a bit, as the map I put my stuff in ain't Anvil compatible.

And as map editors compatible with 1.2 are not here yet, I'm still in the need for aa Anvil flat sandstone map, with around 50 depth, and desert climate.

I'll then will have to put everything back in. I'll organise things better this time, but until I get this specific map, and since my computer nor me can handle map edition, a bit of time will pass, sorry for the inconvenience.

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

News!

Finally got a flat sandstone map with desert biome.

Started rebuilding everything.

Better display organisation.

New beginners area!

Many more logic gates and new content.

If possible, feedback on the new display and content would be wonderful.

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

csmyers
    csmyers

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Minecraft: csmyers

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Just downloaded the world, and i'm in the middle of nowhere in a sandstone flatworld. wanna tell me where the coordinates are?
Enjoy Redstone? Check out my channel, RedstoneInnovation for the latest in redstone innovation! :D

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

You should appear in the very middle of the Lab, on top of a giant lava pillar. Posted Image

That is strange, around 60 people downloaded this very map, no one had any problem
And as I know some of them, they would have told me right away.

I just downloaded the map too to be sure and it worked perfectly fine. Posted Image

Made you another one, hope it will work this time. Posted Image
http://www.mediafire...lt3z9iyabjemtl5

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

csmyers
    csmyers

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostGoklayeh, on 21 March 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

You should appear in the very middle of the Lab, on top of a giant lava pillar. Posted Image

That is strange, around 60 people downloaded this very map, no one had any problem
And as I know some of them, they would have told me right away.

I just downloaded the map too to be sure and it worked perfectly fine. Posted Image

Made you another one, hope it will work this time. Posted Image
http://www.mediafire...lt3z9iyabjemtl5
thank you, it was because I was still in 1.1 :P
and MAN that must have taken forever to build all those demonstrations...i would never have the patience to do that...especially with the monostables...
one last thing: your 4x4 reminds me very much of 254160's door
Enjoy Redstone? Check out my channel, RedstoneInnovation for the latest in redstone innovation! :D

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

View Postcsmyers, on 22 March 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

thank you, it was because I was still in 1.1 Posted Image

Haha, problem solved then.

and MAN that must have taken forever to build all those demonstrations...i would never have the patience to do that...especially with the monostables...

... Remember that it's the second time I'm making it... =)

one last thing: your 4x4 reminds me very much of 254160's door

Never heard of it, can you give me a link please?

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

csmyers
    csmyers

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

there you go, and look in the video responses for a fix I submitted.

He uses 2 monostables for each side, which is a little unnecessary.

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

View Postcsmyers, on 23 March 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

there you go, and look in the video responses for a fix I submitted.

He uses 2 monostables for each side, which is a little unnecessary.
Thanks

Yeah, we used the same kind of powering. Mine's circuit's a bit smaller tough.
If you're in good terms with him,do not hesitate to show him my model, it might interest him =)

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

samruxman
  • Minecraft: Samrux

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Tested it, actually pretty good, but more of a circuit showcase. I don't think begginers guide is needed, i think the one by this guy will be better for that when improved Posted Image But i like it.

Edit: I think this and the other lab's begginers guide have their own good things. If i have more time tomorrow i will test this deeper.

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

View Postsamruxman, on 25 March 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

Tested it, actually pretty good, but more of a circuit showcase. I don't think begginers guide is needed, i think the one by this guy will be better for that when improved Posted Image But i like it.

Edit: I think this and the other lab's begginers guide have their own good things. If i have more time tomorrow i will test this deeper.

Thanks for taking the time to test it!

Please take note that this is not a "Giant computers collection" nor an "Everything about redstone ever gallery" world. TaviRiders, MCAddict, the RDF, the Redstone wiki, and so on are already on that. It's more "Stuff I found specially useful and smart while learning" =)

:)

Yeah, it is a showcase of my creations and some nice tricks/gates/etc that you were supposed to use while having a bit of prior knowledge from other sources and active researches.
Ex: I need to have 2 levers that operate the same door.
The wiki gives me a XOR truth table and boolean description and a huge scematic with redtorches.
I have no idea what it means but at least now I know it exist and I can make some researches on these forum and/or youtube to find one easy to make.

That's how I learned it all, and my founds were little by little put in that map, and as some of them took me some time, I thought it could help people and shared the map.

But since 1.2, I had to redo it from scratch, so I tought about making it a bit more beginner-friendly.
Right now the beginner area is being reworked, with more exemples, some things I didn't think about, and more explainations.

That's why I'm looking for feedback here and there, cause I need them to improve that area.  ^_^

Last but not least:
Earthquake and tsunami!  :o  Please be careful! Hope everything will be fine.

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Update!

New version available, with improved, bigger and better explained beginner area! :)

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

LexieRose

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Much better signage it looks like, only suggestion in the next version would be to maybe make it more obvious where to start and how to work your way through all the circuts.

I'm having trouble with the 4th T Flip-Flop though. I've copied it exactly on my own server, and it doesn't work. It is the one with a single sticky piston. When I break the restone torch on the side of the input block it will work, but not if I push the button. Is there something I could be missing that I can't see?