Redstone Logic Gates and FAQs Compendium

• Please log in to reply
2218 replies to this topic

JoshuaGump

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

paj2323 said:

JoshuaGump said:

paj2323 said:

You'd need a shift register to achieve that effect.

well i was just thinking of haveing 4 TFF's wired to a 4-16 bit decoder, and that it would go:
reset

If you are using decoder logic for toggling between 10 states, then you are over complicating this.

It is BETTER to use shift registers rather than a counter with decoder.
see i know what your are talking about but i have never worked with them yet, so that is why i did not think of that.
Vote for a Redstone Sub-forum!

Register or log in to remove.

comemaster

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

JoshuaGump said:

comemaster said:

So,
I have a request,
sorry if some1 has posted it before, but I couldnt manage to find it.

I need a progression circuit kind off thing.

This is how it should work:

Lets say I have 10 posible states, and I want them to occur one after the other from 1 to 10.
The input would be a pulse. When it pulses for the 1st time, state 1 turns on (all other off), at the 2nd pulse, state 2 turns on (all other are off), at the 3rd pulse, state 3 turns on (all other off)... and so on untill state 10, after wich it goes back to state 1.

I hope u  can uderstand that since english is not my main lenguage (Im sry for all the typos also)
I also hope Ill get a reply soon

ya i under stand what you want, and dose it have to be 10 states or can it be 8 states or 16 states.
but if it has to be 10 i can mod a decoder to where after i hits state 10 it will reset.
also is there a state 0.

no there is no state 0.
yes, It has to be 10 states,
Im also expecting to learn how to make sumtin like it from the10 state one, so I can make an 6 state one, which I also need.

I didnt rly understand any of your fancy words in the posts above (I dont know anything about real life Electronics)
A picture or a dumbed down explanation of the gates (or wireing I have 2 place) would be nice.

icks
    icks

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

@comemaster

I advise you use banjobeni's FSM a few pages back. It can be expanded to any number of states, and for consistent output time, only as big as no repeaters are used in the clock line (or if you do use an equivalent number of delays to each unit).

Shift registers can be used, but in my experience a looping/circular shift register has it's data corrupted due to a number of redstone timing issues much too often. A register hard wired to only loop 000000001 or 1111111110 as in the FSM is more reliable (more, not totally infallible unfortunately) and works as intended for longer.

comemaster

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

icks said:

@comemaster

I advise you use banjobeni's FSM a few pages back. It can be expanded to any number of states, and for consistent output time, only as big as no repeaters are used in the clock line (or if you do use an equivalent number of delays to each unit).

Shift registers can be used, but in my experience a looping/circular shift register has it's data corrupted due to a number of redstone timing issues much too often. A register hard wired to only loop 000000001 or 1111111110 as in the FSM is more reliable (more, not totally infallible unfortunately) and works as intended for longer.

ty, tyvm

Wrathful
    Wrathful

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Thanks Banjo et al for this:
msEjp9cWa_g
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
--Carl Sagan

I am Scjoiner on YouTube. Check out my insane redstone stuff. Scjoiner's Channel

JoshuaGump

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

JoshuaGump said:

i want to see if you guys can beat me at making this more compact... (it will be hard)...
This is the 4-16 bit decoder (it is the 5-32 decoder on the op but with the 5th bit removed): http://www.mediafire...gfghw9jp77ku6m3
And this in the bit-segment decoder: (came up with this when i was typing up a truth table for something else): http://www.mediafire...9z346y2fzq3dzbp
This is the image of it in the simulator (i had to fix one thing after i created this, but the schematic is up to date): Posted Image
Along with the thread i made on this with picture (the pictures dose not have the 4-16 bit decoder built yet, but that is only like 6 tall: viewtopic.php?f=1020&t=174563

right now i am trying to see if i can make this any more compact with the addition of the repeaters.
if i can get it any smaller i don't think it will get smaller by much, for the reason the repeaters don't power the block above them.

CX gamer
    CX gamer

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1380 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

gotothun said:

I was wondering if anyone else here is doing the same thing and might want to come and collaborate on the server i hang out on. I can PM my vent details and the server IP, i'd love to see the removal of the edge triggers from each module, and move edge triggering to the pin pad it self, but i've had no success in stacking 1 wide edge triggers side by side.
Well I have actually just made one of those. It can be expanded a fair bit, but the reset line may need a repeater. I'd LOVE to collab, but I don't think I'm good enough.
dDDyBeybjXQ
Posted Image

JoshuaGump

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

if you don't care about the amount of redstone you use... (like one of my worlds has at least 1.5 large chests of wire)... i remade the redstone cable to be even better... (more compact):
:GP: = wire
:D =stone
:_: = repeater

this was the old way where you have a cable that is 4x4 in space would look like this:
:SSSS:  :GP:  ;)  :GP:
:GP:  :tnt:  :GP:  :tnt:
:tnt:  :GP:  :stone:  :GP:
:GP:  :stone:  :GP:  :stone:

and here is the new way:
slice 1:
:stone:  :_:  :stone:  :_:
:_:  :stone:  :_:  :stone:

slice 2:

where before you could only carry 8 bit of info, but now you can carry 16 bits of info... (but it has a delay, but that could be either a good or bad thing)

paj2323
    paj2323

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

How come I never noticed this before?

Banjobeni said:

Linear Finite State Machine (17x11x3) by Banjobeni
http://img151.images... ... jobeni.gif

A single state is only 3x4x3 in size.

So... what's the difference between THIS and a shift register?

I dissected the circuitry ...
Posted Image
and it's not composed of D-flip flops...
yet its function IS shifting data.

Banjobeni said:

But I bet the single state cannot be smaller. Try it.

Your single state was very nicely designed,
everything was where they should be and lined up perfectly; a perfect jigsaw puzzle.

Just tried it

5 red dusts, 5 torches, 3x3x3
Posted Image

This will work connected in series, but you'll need to make it "steps"
like so: (looking at the side)
Posted Image

Otherwise, you must do this... 4x3x3
Posted Image
Not an improvement when chaining in series.
But less redstone used nonetheless^^
**EDIT** this does not work in game, works in the simulator though...
Feel the force. Don't force the feel.

JustcallmeDrago

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:43 AM

I am going to build a timer that counts from 0-99 using some sort of a 7-bit counter. I'd like some input on what I should use.

The counter will be as such:
    [*:2891t4yi]Counts seconds, so no short clocks necessary
    [*:2891t4yi]Works on SMP (or I should say, optimized for SMP, for least lag/problems
    [*:2891t4yi]No N/S dependency
    [*:2891t4yi]Only has to run with people around
    [*:2891t4yi]Output only needs to go into RS latches or possibly straight into a binary->7seg converter

I'd like each individual bit to be only 2 wide, but it's not totally necessary. At the moment, I'm looking at ripple counters with TFFs. I don't know if there are any glaring problems with this but that's why I'm asking you guys. I'm a redstone/circuitry noob still.

EDIT: UNLESS I can use a pair of decade counters. I have not seen one anywhere and as far as I can tell is just a counter with the reset wired to 10 (decimal) or a finite state machine, which both wouldn't be any smaller...

Banjobeni

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

Wrathful said:

Banjo, on this 4  bit to 7 segment device you posted, is there are order to the decimal outputs on the bottom? As in, I want to figure out which answer is being selected before I hook it up to my display and can't verify it's accurate. There are only 14 rows which trigger the 7 outputs, so I have no idea which should be which. I hope this makes sense, thanks.
Sorry to not answer your question for such a long time, I have been busy with non-Minecraft stuff. And I have yet to read up on all the new posts.

I think I gave pretty exact instructions though on how to use it. Plus, you can always download the .schematic and try around.

Banjobeni said:

4-Bit To 7-Segment Hexadecimal Decoder (15x34x5) by Banjobeni (schematic)
    This circuit can be used to drive a 7-segment display. It will show the hexadecimal digit corresponding to the four bits of input on the display. Inputs are on the bottom of the picture, the most significant bit being on the left. Outputs are on the top side, from left to right: a, f, b, g, e, c, d, corresponding to the second picture.
    Posted Image   Posted Image
    Requires: 127 torches, 618 redstone
    Delay: 6 ticks

If you only need a decimal encoder, not a hexadecimal, and you ask nicely, I might consider making one.

Rekkonin said:

a simple inverter will work everywhere.

comemaster

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:40 AM

Banjobeni said:

Each state consists of two inputs (clock, set) and two outputs (next, value).

The idea is that when the clock signal is powered AND the internal latch is powered (that is, value is powered) , then unpower the internal latch (and value) and power next. This will set the internal latch of the next state to powered.

Posted Image
Left: next
Bottom: clock
Upper right: value
Lower right: set

Hope that helps.

The timing details for this device are extremely subtle. I suspect there are bugs in the redstone update algorithm anyway, so to make it safe you might need to add a 1 or 2 tick delay after the AND.

So this is the progresion thing I was lookking 4?

I understand how one off them works, but Have no Idea how to link them together.
If some1 would show me pls^^

Darth Cyrax

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:13 AM

Okay, I've been trying to think of a solution for this for several hours but haven't come up with anything on my own, the wiki hasn't helped me, and a quick search through this thread hasn't either. SO.

Is there any way to make redstone circuit with 2 inputs, one output, that will change the state of the output whenever the input changes state?  This includes both inputs changing at the same time(so XOR and XNOR gates won't work).  Looking through the circuits on the wiki the closest thing seems to be the T Flip-Flop, but it only has one input.  Anyways, help would be very appreciated.

trunksbomb
    trunksbomb

Glowstone Miner

• Retired Staff
  • 3065 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:22 AM

Darth Cyrax said:

Okay, I've been trying to think of a solution for this for several hours but haven't come up with anything on my own, the wiki hasn't helped me, and a quick search through this thread hasn't either. SO.

Is there any way to make redstone circuit with 2 inputs, one output, that will change the state of the output whenever the input changes state?  This includes both inputs changing at the same time(so XOR and XNOR gates won't work).  Looking through the circuits on the wiki the closest thing seems to be the T Flip-Flop, but it only has one input.  Anyways, help would be very appreciated.

OR the inputs together, then feed them into a T Flip Flop.

gotothun
    gotothun

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

You can OR them and keep them isolated by using a diode and one block.

[]  :tnt:  []
[]  :)  :P
[]  :tnt:  []
Posted Image

DataNalle
  • Minecraft: DataNalle

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

I have made a pulser with 3 repeaters and a circle of redstone. It works fine when I power it up, but how on earth do I make it stop?

Virallinen suomenkielinen Minecraft käännös
Official Finnish Minecraft Translation

CX gamer
    CX gamer

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1380 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

trunksbomb said:

Darth Cyrax said:

OR the inputs together, then feed them into a T Flip Flop.
If working with pulses, that's correct. But I think he's asking both from LOW to HIGH and HIGH to LOW, so in that case that won't work.

How I would do it is to RET and FET both inputs, OR those 4 outcoming signals and TFF that one. You can use the newly designed 1-wide ones.
Posted Image

trunksbomb
    trunksbomb

Glowstone Miner

• Retired Staff
  • 3065 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

DataNalle said:

I have made a pulser with 3 repeaters and a circle of redstone. It works fine when I power it up, but how on earth do I make it stop?

Put a lever in there somewhere, and throw the lever when you want to stop it.

CX gamer said:

If working with pulses, that's correct. But I think he's asking both from LOW to HIGH and HIGH to LOW, so in that case that won't work.

How I would do it is to RET and FET both inputs, OR those 4 outcoming signals and TFF that one. You can use the newly designed 1-wide ones.

Right, so an edge-triggered TFF with a RET/FET combination. Same thing. :iapprove:

Triskelli

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

paj2323 said:

Triskelli said:

Still, never hurts to automate:  Here's the truth table, with 8 possible inputs (two at a time) and 8 possible outputs(4 or 2 at any time).

Input
(X,Y); x= incoming direction, y= outgoing direction

Output
#u / #p;  #= switch number, u/p= unpowered/powered

In-----Out
----------
N:N----1p,8p,3u,2p
N:E----1u,6p,7p,5p
N:S----1u,6u
N:W----1p,8u

E:N----3p,2p
E:E----3p,2u,5p,4p
E:S----3u,8p,1u,6u
E:W----3u,8u

S:N----5p,2p
S:E----5u,4p
S:S----5u,4u,7p,6u
S:W----5p,2u,3u,8u

W:N----7p,4u,5p,2p
W:E----7p,4p
W:S----7u,6u
W:W----7u,6p,1u,8u
----------

Intersection:
----N----
---1-2---
---------
-8-----3-
w-------E
-7-----4-
---------
---6-5---
----s----

Umm
N:N----1p,8p,3u,2p
that would mean [1, 2, 8] powered and [ 3,4,5,6,7 ] unpowered. Instead of just "3u"
since there are only 2 states: powered/unpowered.
or am i reading it wrong?

Also, " N:E " from north going east?
What about " N:N "? from north going north? How's that work?

Allow me to clarify:  I have listed all the switch numbers that will be traveled across.  For the combination listed, the other switches are irrelevant.  Also, when I say "N:N", I mean From North (On the Southbound Track) To North (On the Northbound track).  I have two parallel stretches of track that intersect each other at a certain point.

Just wondering if I could still get someone interested in this conundrum, as it's not your typical station-destination problem.
:)

Wrathful
    Wrathful

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Hey Banjo, I actually figured it out, so no big deal. I was having to troubleshoot mine because I had misplaced some 7seg torches, so I was getting weird results. I saw your notes about the segment correspondences, I just wasn't sure where each decimal number fell in the lowermost level. I got it working and showed it off in the video I posted. Thanks again!

I would be curious to see your decimal solution since my subs complain about not understanding hex. Mad props if you undertake this.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
--Carl Sagan

I am Scjoiner on YouTube. Check out my insane redstone stuff. Scjoiner's Channel