• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

I want to get into java programming

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Airfield20

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

My cousin introduced me to programming in C++ and I loved it. I enjoy programming as much as I like playing minecraft and I am still new at programming, I've only been doing it for 2 weeks only on weekends. Is programming in java harder than c++. Would it be too hard to learn by myself? Where can I go to learn it?

Register or log in to remove.

absorr
    absorr

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Minecraft: absorr
  • Xbox:absorr

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

It should be simple to learn Java if you know a C lang already. They are pretty similar.
On how to learn Java, that depends on how you learn best. You could take an interactive tutorial, watch videos, read page after page, or whatever you find works for you. Just use Google.
Posted Image
Wouldn't that be like the best achievement ever?

-Reaper-
    -Reaper-

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1315 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostAirfield20, on 22 February 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

My cousin introduced me to programming in C++ and I loved it. I enjoy programming as much as I like playing minecraft and I am still new at programming, I've only been doing it for 2 weeks only on weekends. Is programming in java harder than c++. Would it be too hard to learn by myself? Where can I go to learn it?

To start programming Minecraft mods in Java you don't need to be very skilled, but you need to know the basics of programming. Then you can make the simple mods using Tutorials here on forum. But to create more complex mods, you will need to learn more. Some basic commands (assigning constant to the variable, FOR cycle etc.) have same syntax as C. One of the main things you need to learn is using classes and methods in Java, because these are the key components in Java and you can't learn them in C. I would recommend book about Java basics, and try to make some simlpe mods to understand how it works (adding new block, creating recipe etc.)

Happy coding :)
Posted Image

Divine smoker mod - Hookah in Minecraft: http://www.minecraft...ookahshisha-11/

xTwilight3
  • Minecraft: xTwilight

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

Good advice: Don't watch youtube "java tutorials", don't copy code EVER!
Did my post help? Click the Posted Image on my post. It's 110% optional Popcorn smelting, old removed feature, new mod. :D

Rainbow_Pancakes
  • Minecraft: Rainbow_Pancakes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

thenewboston is awesome! He's helped my a lot.

http://www.youtube.c...28&feature=plcp

He has over 2,500 all about programming.
Posted Image

xTwilight3
  • Minecraft: xTwilight

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostRainbow_Pancakes, on 22 February 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

thenewboston is awesome! He's helped my a lot.

http://www.youtube.c...28&feature=plcp

He has over 2,500 all about programming.

This is an example of "nooby" youtube tutorials.
Did my post help? Click the Posted Image on my post. It's 110% optional Popcorn smelting, old removed feature, new mod. :D

Airfield20

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

Thanks Im a little more confident now about starting a new language I thought it would be a long and stressful task but I now I think I can do it. P.S. I watched most of thenewboston's videos on c++ and java and it helped a little but thats not really my learning style.

Spaces
    Spaces

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Minecraft: _Spaces_

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

Read "Java for dummies".
Posted Image

Logicx
    Logicx

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2060 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

C++ is a more advanced language than Java. That is why it is suggested that you learn another similar language like Java or C# first. Once you have most/all of the fundamentals down for those languages then move onto something more difficult.

Frizzil
    Frizzil

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • Minecraft: Frizzil

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

C++ is an older language than Java, and therefore features older design philosophies.  Basically, C++ isn't nearly as legible as Java, but gives the programmer much more flexibility-- C++ assumes the programmer knows what they're doing, and that they can handle security concerns and memory management themselves (you'll learn about memory management soon if you continue learning C++).  However, Java takes care of memory management for you, restricts the allocation of objects in way that makes them easier to use, and limits your flexibility and constrains general efficiency in order to quell security concerns.  Basically, Java is much easier to learn, much faster to develop in, but a good bit slower performance-wise than C++ because it 1) was developed in a time with faster CPUs, and therefore has more CPU power to throw away, and 2) assumes you're stupider and much more irresponsible than C++ does, lol.  I consider that a good thing, though :)

Also, C++ is a "superset" of an even older language, C, meaning they took C and strapped on some new features/syntax/etc to make C++, so you'd encounter even older design philosophies/artifacts if you continued on that route.  There's a lot of good reasons to learn it, though.

Learning C++ is more difficult than most modern languages, but because most modern languages were inspired by it and, for the most part, have a subset of C++'s features in them (in an easier to use format), going from C++ to any other language is a lot easier than learning C++ later, and you'll learn some important low-level concepts that'll seriously come in handy when programming in any other language (particularly, pointers and memory-management concepts).  Otherwise, you might go a long time with a thought-pattern that'll hurt you because you didn't understand why a language feature worked the way it did, and when introduced to a new concept, you'll have to re-train that thought-pattern, which is much harder than just having learned it the correct way to begin with (this goes for sports, too :)).  No matter what language, you'll need to understand these low-level concepts at some point, but imho, C++ makes them much easier to conceptualize because you're working with them directly.

The only reason I mention any of this is because I'm way ahead of my classmates because I transferred from a school where I started out with C++, whereas they all started out with Python.  I'm well versed in memory management and knowledgeable of low-level concepts (though I'm aware of them, it's bad to be OCD about it) that enable me to be a better programmer.  Also, C++ is the most widely used language in the industry by a ridiculous margin, so that don't hurt none neither :)

I don't personally know of a good Java tutorial, but www.cplusplus.com is an awesome reference for all things C++

Also, I would only use modding tutorials on this forum to look up how to do something really quick-- they won't teach you how anything works or how to be self-sufficient, only explicitly how to do specific and trivial things.

And finally, no matter what language you choose, once you get the basics down, you need to implement various algorithms/data structures if you truly want to enable yourself to make some amazing mods (and for that matter, program anything you can think of!)  I'd start with various sort algorithms (selection sort, bubble sort, merge sort, and quick sort, in that order), then learn some basic data structures (circular arrays, dynamic arrays, linked lists, stacks, and queues, in that order.)  There are many, many standardized algorithms and data structures out there, a lot of which rely on these fundamental ones to work.  Wikipedia is always an awesome reference, and www.stackoverflow.com is an incredible programming forum, that'll have answers to most of the questions you may have (and if not, feel free to ask them!)  StackOverflow is by far the best programming community on da nets.

The world of Computer Science is incredibly vast, and the fact that they don't teach it to some degree in high school is outrageous, considering that almost every job out there relies heavily on software in some manner.  Once you dive in, you'll be blown away by how many fascinating subjects there are, from artificial intelligence and genetic algorithms, to design paradigms and engineering techniques, to graphics libraries and procedural content generation (like Minecraft!)  I have a blast educating myself and fleshing out my ideas in addition to my college education, and I'll probably never get to experiment with all the amazing things out there just because there are so many of them.  Hopefully, you'll find it amazing too, and like me, never run out of things to learn and experiment with.

Did I mention programmers make bank? B)
Posted Image

Darkstar09

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

if you need help, i can do tools and block textures... armor is not my strongsuit tho. and i can help you with some of the basic stuff