• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Monster spawn rules

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

thorslund12

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

I have built a monster trap but it doesn't work very well. Monsters almost never spawn in it, so I figure it probably is because the player have to be a certain number of blocks away for monster to be able to spawn but I don't know these rules. So how many blocks away and how close do you need to stand for monsters to be able to spawn?

Here is the spawn room. (Of course the torches are just there in the picture so you can see anything.)
Posted Image

And here's the whole trap from the outside.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

its me peardude
  • Minecraft: peardude

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

The inside of it is to bright remove all of the torches.EDIT:You need to be out 25 blocks away,but not so far that you can't see it,because then the monsteres will despawn.
All I want for Christmas is feeesh!

Teeylow
    Teeylow

Carpenter

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

View Postits me peardude, on 21 February 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

The inside of it is to bright remove all of the torches.

(Of course the torches are just there in the picture so you can see anything.)

Facepalm.

tobitobide

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

Mobs can also spawn in dark caves. If you haven't lit the cave systems, most of the spawns will happen down there and block the entitiy space.
Also having just one small spawn floor will not do much.

TeachMeHow

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

Try using a cave system.
“I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it.”
- J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

tobitobide

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostTeachMeHow, on 21 February 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

Mobs won't spawn there.
Too bright.
You are the second retard here. He put the torches in there so we can see the room.

OneHappyIgloo
  • Minecraft: One Happy Igloo
  • Xbox:Phantom Dance

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

View Postits me peardude, on 21 February 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

The inside of it is to bright remove all of the torches.EDIT:You need to be out 25 blocks away,but not so far that you can't see it,because then the monsteres will despawn.

The torches are only in the picture so you can see the trap.

Some people need to actually read the posts before commenting.
Posted Image

Withersting

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

Well, let's see if I can answer this one at the best of my knowledge and I hope everyone reads the post in it's entirety before spitting out a dumb response...

Everything in an (approximately) 145 x 145 area (some people just do the trap this big) must be completely lit all the way down to bedrock. The drop zone or kill zone must be in the middle of this area. Like so:

--------145---------

145    kill zone      145

--------145---------

(I know, I suck at ascii)

The trap DOES NOT have to be this big, but some people swear by it. Now, the lit zone SHOULD be this big if you want the maximum spawn rate possible at the moment.

So you must explore every single cave down there or just make a massive, time consuming and boring 145 x 145 quarry all the way down to bedrock, then make sure to light everything but the trap. Don't go cheap here either, you must really go crazy with the torches, so the ONLY alternative for the monsters to spawn in the WHOLE area is your trap. I've seen 30 mobs spawn in a 3 x 3 area if it's dark enough...)

Also, monsters won't spawn closer than maybe around 30 blocks away from you (not entirely sure about this, might be from 20 - 40) so the trap must be as high as possible, so you standing down in the drop zone don't interfere with the spawning... Your trap seems high enough, so I don't see a problem in this area.

The worst part about this is that in the end, it might not even work that good...

Gone are the days of thousands of drops per minute traps, because the mob spawning logistics have changed a lot.

All in all, I wish you good luck in this brave endeavor, since there have been many of us who have given up on mob traps.

Oh well, let us know if you get it to work! :)
Posted Image

thorslund12

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

Thanks for the answers, especially Withersting. I will try and get it to work. Posted Image

stavethemoff

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

Last I checked this method was deliberately broken. The mobs do no move (they spawn and stand still) > 40 blocks away, killing mob spawn towers. Is this still the case?

Peppe
    Peppe

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

They won't spawn closer than 24 blocks.

They can spawn anywhere in a 272x272 box around you, but if they are greater than 128 blocks away they should instantly despawn.

If they are closer than 32 blocks they should never/almost never despawn.

Their 'new' ai can still be farmed.  One of the better designs is a piston sifter - shifting the spawning pads side to side and allow the mobs to fall through.

Edit:
Also with the new map height very efficient farms should be back.  You can go up in the clouds and ensure there are no blocks within 128 blocks of you and easily control where they spawn.

SgtCedric
  • Minecraft: SgtCedric

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Simple answer: You just need to expand the roof by 1. Endermen need 4 blocks high of space. other mobs need 3.:iapprove:
[Place advertisement here] <-- NO D:

Bakugo
    Bakugo

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1686 posts
  • Minecraft: bakugo

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Make bigger spawning pads and light up nearby caves.

View PostSgtCedric, on 21 February 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Endermen need 3 blocks high of space. other mobs need 2.:iapprove:

Fixed.

Posted Image

cookingfat

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostPeppe, on 21 February 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

Edit:
Also with the new map height very efficient farms should be back.  You can go up in the clouds and ensure there are no blocks within 128 blocks of you and easily control where they spawn.

What a great thought!, also you shouldn't need to light up caves either. A new sky base may be in order on my SP world now.

Valmiki
    Valmiki

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Minecraft: Valmiki

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

View Postcookingfat, on 22 February 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

What a great thought!, also you shouldn't need to light up caves either. A new sky base may be in order on my SP world now.

Genius! I've been away from Minecraft since December (Damn you Skyrim!). Is the new height limit in 1.1 or in the beta build? What about the new Mob behaviour?
Posted Image    Posted Image

cookingfat

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostValmiki, on 22 February 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Genius! I've been away from Minecraft since December (Damn you Skyrim!). Is the new height limit in 1.1 or in the beta build? What about the new Mob behaviour?

It's in the latest 1.2 snapshot, but if you don't install the snapshot, you'll have to wait until 1.2 is out.

greenhillMC
  • Minecraft: greenhillMC

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

dude... the mobs are not retarded these days.

you need to have signs  on the side of the spawning platforms so that they walk into the water. the mobs will be thinking its a fulll block
but  becouse its just a sign the'll fall through and aland in the water. soooooo, with the picture you've shown you'll be needing to higher the spawning floors by one. then put signs on the side of that layer and i'll be fine.

just another tip though, you said it was a bad monster spawner...
thats most likely the case becouse you only have one spawning floor if you add more levels on top it will produce more

hope it'll work!

IGTranquility

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostgreenhillMC, on 09 October 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

dude... the mobs are not retarded these days.

but apparently you are, check the dates on the thread next time.
I may not be perfect, But without imperfection; life couldn't exist.