Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

saving minecraft data to a flash drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Sketchman1981
  • Minecraft: sketchman1981

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

I play Minecraft on my breaks at work, but would like to be able to save my files to a flash drive do I dont have to have two separate computers with different files. It'd be nice to be able to play the same worlds at home, or work. Anyone know if this works, or if it causes complications?
Sketchman1981

Register or log in to remove.

Polaris29
    Polaris29

Not Retired Staff

• Sectional Moderator
  • 4240 posts
  • Minecraft: Polaris29

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Minecraft Portable
With it, you can play from any computer with a good graphics card regardless if it has Java or not.

Calypo
    Calypo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4043 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

It's easy.
Navigate to C: users > [YOURNAME] > appdata (this file is invisible unless you make it visible - go to control panel > folder options to do this) >.minecraft > saves  and then select the save you want. Copy it into your USB stick and simply copy it into that folder at your work. This only works if you have access to the appdata folder in your work's systems.

Minecraft Portable
Or get that, and just copy your save file to whereever it's stored there.

BonyRaptor101

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Easy. Just go to your %appdata% folder, open roaming, .minecraft, saves, and copy the world you want to save.
Posted Image

RobZ51
    RobZ51

Void Walker

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1911 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Its possible but it will be pretty slow.
Posted Image

Sketchman1981

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

The computers I use at work are made to handle catia and other such engineering programs, haven't had much lag. But then I haven't loaded any mods or texture packs at work. I figured the saving my world data to the drive and transferring it would work. But they might get upset if I keep saving stuff to the computer. That's why im thinking about putting the whole minecraft, jar, savedata, so on on the flash drive. Assuming that I could essentially put it all on there. there can you run Java from a flash drive? Oh, one problem might be that I have windows 7 at home, and windows XP at work

As for finding appdata,  it's easier to just goto the IE address bar, and type %appdata%

bluexwolfify
  • Minecraft: Izayax1

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yah it works i already do this with my world and mods so i can play at the library and at home and i have a backup if it gets deleted , just move your world your minecraft shortcut and any mods you may use. if you use a mod i would keep an spare Vanilla .minecraft folder so its faster to fix incase you mess up
If u need to contact me please pm me, chances are i won't return to a thread

Sketchman1981

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

Cool, Thanks guys for all the info. I'm going to order a 32gb USB flash drive tonight. will try it when it get here.