• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

A Sci-fi Minecraft Spin-Off

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

SecondAttempt

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

I've been seeing a lot of suggestions for things like planets and guns and robots and the like. The usual response is something like this:

'Minecraft is a fantasy/medieval/whatever game so if that was added it would ruin the game.'

Which I agree with. Adding those things to vanilla would be stupid. But what if there were an entirely separate sci-fi version of minecraft?
It makes sense. Loads of developers have made futuristic 'alter-egos' to their fantasy franchises and wound up creating something equally popular. Starcraft is as popular as Warcraft. Fallout 3 was pretty much a sci-fi version of Oblivion, and is just as praised. Warhammer 40,000 now overshadows Warhammer, even though it was originally just a spin-off.

There are a few ways it could work. The one that seems to be most popular and that I like best is 4 so I'll work on that. The others are in the spoiler.

4:
Space Steve lives in a time when the human race has colonised other planets. Instead of spawning on an overworld, you spawn on a large space station or spaceship. From there you can access several 'planets' with each planet being very different.
The gameplay would involve trying to establish a foothold on each world, with each new world you get to access being more hostile than the last. During alpha MC future would probably just have one world accessible, aiming to have two or three by the time the full version comes out.

Spoiler:

Possible planets.

- Coming soon!

To clarify a few things:

-This would be a spin-off so it would NOT change vanilla MC at all.

-In terms of development, Mojang has almost certainly got enough resources to put a person aside for a while to work on this. After all, the coding could pretty much just rework things already existing in MC. The only major change needed initially would be to combat and perhaps better AIs, so that enemy soldiers do things like take cover.

-I don't want to just make a custom map/use a texture pack because a lot of the fun of minecraft comes from exploring and the like. If I made a custom map, I would already know exactly where everything is.

Register or log in to remove.

wolfendoom
  • Minecraft: razourik

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

I'd prefer it if they removed the breeding and EXP system, didn't change the bow, not added endermen or the End, and made it possible to craft your way into getting modern, then futuristic items, like going from swords, pickaxes, axes and shovels and TNT and bows and arrows to guns (bows that do more damage and fire straighter) and chainsaws and drills, then to laser guns and mining lasers. You'd be able to access the skylands (with a golden block portal and a ghast tear) and if you make a diamond block portal you can access the moon. (requires breathing helmet.) :iapprove:
http://www.minecraft...-for-villagers/ Let's get pigmen in the game!

SecondAttempt

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

View Postwolfendoom, on 19 February 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

snip

So... Empire Earth in MC? I'd like it -soo much- but a lot of people would complain about it. The reason I suggest having a spin-off game for the sci-fi stuff is that it wouldn't ruin or even alter vanilla MC and then haters would have no reason to complain so much.

Superguin200
  • Minecraft: superguin200

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

I would love to see this as a mod! Maybe you could make it as an expansion, like Zombiecraft or Adventurecraft.
Posted Image

SecondAttempt

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

View PostSuperguin200, on 19 February 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

I would love to see this as a mod! Maybe you could make it as an expansion, like Zombiecraft or Adventurecraft.

I was thinking of posting this in the mod section and trying to put a team together...

It would be biiig though. Would take a huge amount of effort to get right. Hmmm.

The_Dizzie
  • Minecraft: The_Dizzie , Llette

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

I think Mojang should either make a sort of docking thing for certain big mods that are almost professionally done. (Like the Aether) the docking would make it so when you open minecraft you can choose between which theme you want to play at that time without having to fiddle with modded jars. You can pick say the Aether and play it, then switch back to menu screen and access a different theme (like a space mod)

Basically Minecraft would be supporting certain major mods, making them like an expansion to the game. It would allow major mods to even charge a small fee for their 'expansion' splitting profit with mojang to keep the mod updated if it came down to it.

We need better chat! See my Suggestion:

Creator Content

the next techy

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

no minecraft is minecraft if it were in the future it would ruin many parts of the game most monsters would be wierd and most places would be strange

Phantom_100

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:39 AM

I like it. Those gun suggesters would shut up finally.

Eurith
    Eurith

Carpenter

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:50 AM

View PostSecondAttempt, on 19 February 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

Fallout 3 was pretty much a sci-fi version of Oblivion

Fallout 3 was a sequel to Fallout 2 which was a sequel to Fallout 1. They were sci-fi versions of themselves.

And...This would just detract from work on Minecraft unless the fans wanted to create and develop it.

Superguin200
  • Minecraft: superguin200

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

View Postthe next techy, on 20 February 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

no minecraft is minecraft if it were in the future it would ruin many parts of the game most monsters would be wierd and most places would be strange

Did you even read the post?
Posted Image

JimmyMcPerson
  • Minecraft: andrewb841

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Sounds like a great idea. I like 1, 2 and 4 best.
It would be better separate from normal minecraft or if it were like an option in "World Options" when you're creating a new world or something.
But it sounds awesome. I would definitely play it if it existed.

Balduran
    Balduran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3194 posts
  • Minecraft: Lol, No

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

So... you'd rather that Minecraft returned to its Infiniminer roots?
...But that's just my opinion.
My modder's resource and assortment of miscellaneous textures.
Status: Fed up with Minecraft [Consult the above link for details]
My DeviantART, requests welcome.

Mr2000
    Mr2000

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Dude, just make a custom map, Or play Deep Space Turtle Chase (By the way, best custom map ever).
Or maybe a mod if you're so desperate.  I like Minecraft the way it is, without any spin-offs.

shame.
Posted Image

SecondAttempt

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostEurith, on 20 February 2012 - 02:50 AM, said:

Fallout 3 was a sequel to Fallout 2 which was a sequel to Fallout 1. They were sci-fi versions of themselves.

But in terms of gameplay Fallout 3 was a lot like Oblivion, just transplanted into the setting established by the first two Fallout games. Ergo, Oblivion but in a sci-fi setting. Which is what I said. I know you're trying to make a point that Fallout wasn't a spin-off from Oblivion but that's arguing semantics and isn' relly important.

View PostBalduran, on 20 February 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

So... you'd rather that Minecraft returned to its Infiniminer roots?

Haven't played it.

View PostSuperguin200, on 20 February 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Did you even read the post?

Wow. You ninjaed me replying to something in my own thread ^^

sackdirt_End_Master
  • Minecraft: sackdirt

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostMr2000, on 20 February 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Dude, just make a custom map, Or play Deep Space Turtle Chase (By the way, best custom map ever).
Or maybe a mod if you're so desperate.  I like Minecraft the way it is, without any spin-offs.

shame.
he said: "-I don't want to just make a custom map/use a texture pack because a lot of the fun of minecraft comes from exploring and the like. If I made a custom map, I would already know exactly where everything is. " so: YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

View PostThe_Dizzie, on 20 February 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

I think Mojang should either make a sort of docking thing for certain big mods that are almost professionally done. (Like the Aether) the docking would make it so when you open minecraft you can choose between which theme you want to play at that time without having to fiddle with modded jars. You can pick say the Aether and play it, then switch back to menu screen and access a different theme (like a space mod)

Basically Minecraft would be supporting certain major mods, making them like an expansion to the game. It would allow major mods to even charge a small fee for their 'expansion' splitting profit with mojang to keep the mod updated if it came down to it.
*GIRLY SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!! I was thinking they could implement the Aether as an expansion pack: be able to build an Aether portal but if you didn't have the expansion pack you couldn't enter the portal, like the nether on smp before 1.6 but THIS! THIS IS AWESOME!!!! please quote this and reply because we may be able to get Mojang's attention about this. THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!
some people may call me egotistical for my title, but i really like the End, even if it is a bit depressing. also i hate spiders, they stalk me.