• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

rbos
    rbos

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

I'd like to be able to create 'shops', in which I can set prices for merchandise.

I propose three sections.  In the first section: a box in which you can put what you want to purchase, a place where you put what you pay for the merchandise, a box where you can drag out your purchase.  Second section: an inventory-style set of things you can purchase.  Third section: your inventory.  Drag the item you want to buy to the first box, put your payment in the second box.  The item will show up in the third box.  If you choose to drag it out of the third box, your payment disappears from the second and replaces the item in the chest.

A similar UI could be used to create proposed transactions.

See below for an example mockup.

Attached Files

server: smp://minecraft.novylen.net
forum: http://minecraft.novylen.net

We have cookies.

Register or log in to remove.

Kokopure

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

This seems like an okay idea, but what would you pay for items with? Is this supposing the implementation of an economy of some sort (which I don' think would be a really great idea) or will the shop vendor be able to sort of say "here are arrows, I'd like a ham for every two arrows" or something?
うぃあぶです。

rbos
    rbos

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

The UI obviously isn't clear enough in the mockup.  The idea is, you drag an item into the first box, and the field at the top tells you the price (in the example, a shovel costs 64 cobblestones).  If you drag 64 cobblestones into the "pay" box, then the shovel shows up in the 3rd box, which you can then drag out.

No money required, just trade.  This lets players pick their own currency.

Here's an updated mockup that might be better:

Attached Files

We have cookies.

Seiseki
    Seiseki

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts
  • Minecraft: Seiseki

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

Oh, that's a really good idea!

What if someone decides to bury the store chest by building around it?
(I'm gonna assume that you won't be able to destroy it..)

If notch implements land-claim flags it won't be a problem though..
Posted Image

Kokopure

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:26 PM

Ah, okay, now that I understand it more I think this is a really great idea! But yeah, antigriefing measures are important. If it's indestructible what happens if you misplace it?
Buuut I'm digressing, those are problems Notch can probably figure out. But yeah, thumbs up for the concept!
うぃあぶです。

rbos
    rbos

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

The griefing issues will be the very same issues that face other types of blocks - crafting tables, furnaces, etc.  If those get solved, then this automatically gets solved too.

The 'asshole' answer is simply going to be 'qq moar, if you don't want your shop destroyed, hide it underground so no one can find it'.

:roll:

We have cookies.

Seiseki
    Seiseki

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

Well as the previous poster ironically put it, the problem is that all other items should be buried and hidden if you want to keep them safe..
But that goes against the very purpose and function of this item..

Of course it should only be in-destructible for those that don't own it, this is why I think land-claim flags would work well with this suggestion..

I also think each player should be limited to one or two shops only..

Instead of a block, how about hiring shop keepers and placing them where you want them?
That way they won't block the way and you can build shops and have a business empire with NPCs working for you.
It would make the world feel more alive rather than interacting with blocks.
Posted Image

Lordofq
    Lordofq

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

It would also be nice to have something like this for trading.  Currently you'd have to just drop everything and hope to god he's honest/isn't fast enough to grab everything.  Would work very well with the land claiming (as if everyone didn't already say that).

Janitor.Master

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8839&
Posted Image
Some have asked about the fort in my avatar. Here you go.

rbos
    rbos

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:07 PM

Missed that one. >_<

Similar idea, mine doesn't involve currency at least.

We have cookies.

Kokopure

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

Yeah, this one sort of works without currency... but it does seem to be the same basic idea.
I don't like the idea of currency, though, so it works for me!
うぃあぶです。

virulentRant

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

I like this idea a lot more than currency.

It adds a reason to keep several different kinds of rock with you.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Smoo
    Smoo

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:57 AM

I think this is an awesome idea.  People with a nice farm built up could make a huge sign out of dyed wool that reads "shop" and put in a few tables of bread for sale, in exchange for iron, or whatever.  It would be a fun way to exchange stuff.  Players could do low-risk farming and sells stacks of wheat to players who kill monsters, or mine, or whatever.

If there is a central map, it would be convenient if shops showed up on that as well.

mrsquidon

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:34 AM

I'm up for anything that doesn't involve money or a strict form of currency.

So i like this.

But it needs to be more refined and discussed about.
Posted Image <- This is clickable by the way.... CLICK IT. SQUIDS DEMAND YOU DO SO.

"You know Squids are totally going to rule the world once they develop Battle armor for the land"

Kokopure

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

Alright, well, would crafting a shop chest be different than crafting a normal chest?
Also, this does raise the usual free-market difficulties of differently priced goods over different regions, leading to little battles, revolts, lootings, and all other manner of very interesting things.

Farmer John better not make pork too expensive :3
うぃあぶです。

rbos
    rbos

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

Something simple, there's no reason you couldn't have as many as you wanted to.  Wood border, something in the centre, say, iron.  A regular chest with an extra feature.

We have cookies.

Seiseki
    Seiseki

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

rbos said:

Something simple, there's no reason you couldn't have as many as you wanted to.

Actually, if they're going to be indestructible then there's a good reason why you could only have 1 or 2..
Otherwise people would build their houses with them..
But then there's the land-claim flag option where it's only indestructible if it's on your land..

I still think it would be a lot better if we could hire an NPC tradesman that will stand in your shop, instead of just crafting a block.
It makes the game feel more lifelike and players could create their own cities..
Posted Image

rbos
    rbos

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

I wouldn't want them to be indestructible anyway, it might be fun to have a way to 'rob' the store.  Perhaps, destroying it would release all the items.  But it's protected by a claim flag, so if you want to destroy it, you have to get to and destroy the main flag first.

Really it all depends on the implementation of land protection.  Best to not make it too complicated though.  Simple is best.

We have cookies.

Seiseki
    Seiseki

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:50 PM

Well, for any kind of economy to thrive and well a society in general there needs to be security..

If it's too easy to grief no one will put up shops..
If it's too easy to grief no one will build larger cities above ground..

Since the game is so focused on being simple, it means that anyone can do anything, people don't have to trade because they can do it all themselves, trading would just make things a bit easier and if would be fun, but not if you get griefed.

Personally I'll just play on non-pvp servers because I enjoy building and cooperative play, not worrying about other players stealing, killing or destroying my house..
And I find PVP not to be in the spirit of minecraft.
Posted Image

Jeffman12

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

Excellent idea. I like the shopkeeper NPC and chest variant equally. So, my thoughts are this: You need a chest, and the NPC guards it and will trade for anything stored in the chest, you can assign one npc to guard up to 3 chests. The chests must be placed within X distance of the NPC but do not need to be adjacent, however, if they are, you get slightly more storage. Each chest comes with a sign inside it you may choose to plant or discard. If you plant the sign, it will make your shop easier to find, possibly by marker if maps are made. Only the owner can remove chests. Burglars might be able to lockpick one which would be like opening it, but take some time, in which time the shopkeeper will begin hunting them down, giving them limited time to pilfer what they will. Everything else works as previously stated.