Latest News Article

The Elder Scrolls

megathread

• Please log in to reply
1642 replies to this topic

iHazFail99

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostGravCat, on 20 February 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

Gheart, you're an ES god. Waaay better than Talos.

Anyway, the first ES game that I played was Oblivion. The night I got it, I pulled an all-nighter. I played about 300 hours of it, and loved every moment of it.

I also prefer the Oblivion soundtrack over Skyrim's soundtrack.

Also, I have a funny story. On my 5th or so character in Oblivion, I made an Argonian and I named him "Frog." I realized that Frogs were amphibians when I was level 25, and level 25 was harder to get to than in Skyrim, so it was about 75 hours in. I am currently doing a playthrough as an Argonian named Frog in Skyrim.

My first character, however, was a Khajiit named "Harold." My cat's name is Harold.
I'm doing a let's play of morrowind soon, but I haven't played that game in a LONNNG time, so expect a few fails.
Off-topic: I LOVED Arena's boxart. Even if that game is older then me. :P
Posted Image
Now that's one FPS boost!

Register or log in to remove.

IAMURHUSBAND
  • Minecraft: Lokal0ka

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Arena was the worst RPG I've ever played.
Hey, YOU! Add me on steam:

iHazFail99

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostIAMURHUSBAND, on 20 February 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Arena was the worst RPG I've ever played.
I was honestly not sure if it was even a RPG. But that abomination made Skyrim, so theres a happy ending.
Posted Image

GravCat
    GravCat

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7768 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I was pleased and disappointed with Skyrim at the same time. They kind of streamlined it for the sake of the newer games, and they made it too easy and simple. I did like the voice acting, the graphics, the weapon variation, and the quests.

One thing I hate now, however, is the 'castles.' In Oblivion, my favorite past-time was sneaking into the city's castles and stealing all the valuables. It was so much fun, but now the places where the Jarls live are more like houses.

iHazFail99

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostGravCat, on 20 February 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

I was pleased and disappointed with Skyrim at the same time. They kind of streamlined it for the sake of the newer games, and they made it too easy and simple. I did like the voice acting, the graphics, the weapon variation, and the quests.

One thing I hate now, however, is the 'castles.' In Oblivion, my favorite past-time was sneaking into the city's castles and stealing all the valuables. It was so much fun, but now the places where the Jarls live are more like houses.
I didn't hate Skyrim, but I don't think it deserves GOTY for 2011. Sure it was exciting, and fresh, especially the random dragons,but the things they changed made people who have only played oblivion feel like the only thing in common with it is the fact that their both RPG's(I got this from my friend, he's only played oblivion and he thinks skyrim changed alot of stuff).By the way, I'll probably have the first episode of my morrowind let's play up tonight,right now I just got to play it a bit and remember some things. I probably not going to reply for a bit, I'mma revisit my first Elder Scrolls game, and second RPG.

OMG as soon as I boot up Morrowind I hear the theme and remember EVERYTHING.

Edited by iHazFail99, 20 February 2012 - 05:31 PM.

Posted Image

iHazFail99

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Actually, I think I need lessons on how to play this again.
Posted Image

Timsontheguy

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

I'm a new elderscroll fan and got Skyrim on the release, Skyrim was pretty amazing. Then i got oblivion, I loved it. But when i got Morrowind...Well...I didn't like it. Well it might because of the fact that I can't get out of the first town. Since the combat in this game is clunky. I tried to be an archer, Half of the arrows went through the targets. Tried to be a warrior, the blade went through the enemy like last time. And last a tried to be a mage, i could get in a few hits but the damage was ridiculously low. So what am i doing wrong? Or am i supposed to do something else, like getting potions and stuff(the shop doesn't sell any)?

Krova
    Krova

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4151 posts
  • Minecraft: Emporis

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Why hello proper Elder Scrolls Megathread!!

I'm a big fan. Big big big.

I started with Oblivion (I wanted to try Morrowind before Oblivion had come out, but I was too young to procure the game on my own), then worked back to Morrowind, I dabbled in Daggerfall, and I have of course also played Skyrim.  Oh, and I dabbled in Arena at the same time as dabbling in Daggerfall, but I couldn't play both at once, so I played Daggerfall.

I don't think I can truly say that I completed any of those games, but I can say that I think I'm finished with Oblivion.

Morrowind and Skyrim are my favorite pair of games.  I think I like Daggerfall more than Oblivion, but I haven't played it enough to be sure.  I have no opinion of Arena yet.

Also, I've been a UESP contributor for over three years.

View PostTimsontheguy, on 20 February 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

I'm a new elderscroll fan and got Skyrim on the release, Skyrim was pretty amazing. Then i got oblivion, I loved it. But when i got Morrowind...Well...I didn't like it. Well it might because of the fact that I can't get out of the first town. Since the combat in this game is clunky. I tried to be an archer, Half of the arrows went through the targets. Tried to be a warrior, the blade went through the enemy like last time. And last a tried to be a mage, i could get in a few hits but the damage was ridiculously low. So what am i doing wrong? Or am i supposed to do something else, like getting potions and stuff(the shop doesn't sell any)?
In Morrowind, when you level up in a certain skill, it makes you more accurate with those weapons, as opposed to the newer games where as long as the crosshairs are on target, you will hit.

I actually really liked that the player, being an untrained civilian, can't just rush into battle with a bunch of bandits and win in their very first exposure to combat.  You'll find that being able to pay for training an unlimited number of times (there's no cap: if you have the gold, they'll train you) is a good balancer.

I usually pick out a home and live as a city-dweller (with occasional non-combat excursions for the gold) until I'm proficient enough for real adventuring.

Minecraft is best craft.Posted Image

Gheart
    Gheart

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2830 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostTimsontheguy, on 20 February 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

To add onto what Korva said, be sure you pay attention and level up your Agility, and always, and I mean ALWAYS carry Restore Fatigue potions at lower levels. (On a side note, on my Dunmer archer I actually enchanted an amulet and ring to constantly restore fatigue, it cost me two Golden Saint souls, but I never had to look at my fatigue again :D)

Also I'll add a poll for your favorite Elder Scrolls game.

Krova
    Krova

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4151 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

You should remove the age comments from the poll which asks which game you played first.  It comes off as elitist.

Timsontheguy

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Alright, i might consider giving morrowind a chance. I mean i love the setting and the artstyle. And i've heard good things about it. I also like that you can't fast travel, encourages exploring.

But anyways is there any class or custom class you could recommend me?

Krova
    Krova

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4151 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostTimsontheguy, on 20 February 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Alright, i might consider giving morrowind a chance. I mean i love the setting and the artstyle. And i've heard good things about it. I also like that you can't fast travel, encourages exploring.

But anyways is there any class or custom class you could recommend me?
I never fast travel in TES games ;)

Gheart
    Gheart

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2830 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

Got the second piece of the Staff of Chaos, making my way to kick Jagar's ass! :D

NONAME147

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostKrova, on 20 February 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

I never fast travel in TES games ;)

O.o HOW?! How do you put up with that?

CycloneX5
  • Minecraft: CycloneX5

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:17 AM

So, who else adores the Argonians?

I bought Morrowind about last month, and I am COMPLETELY IN LOVE! I agree with Krova, the combat system in Morrowind makes a lot more sense, as you need to choose your skills, race, and class carefully, so you can hit stuff more often.

Anyways, my Argonian is a variation of Spellsword I made. The class I made for him is based around enchanting stuff, so naturally he's going to join the Mages' Guild. I made his Major Skills:

Enchant
Long Blade
Marksman
Medium Armor
Armorer

For his Minor Skills:

Spear
Short Blade
Destruction
Restoration
Security

I also made him join the Fighter's Guild for an extra source of money. He does need ammo for his marksman weapons too.
Anyways, I have a Steel Sword I enchanted that shocks for 1-3 points(I'm barely Level 2, as I had to restart my saves), a Trident from a mod that I named Poseidon's Trident. It hits for 1-3 frost damage. I also bought the Dwemer Jinksword that the Fighter's Guild vendor in Balmora sells. I got another silver dagger that I enchanted to soul trap, and a Wooden Crossbow (again, from a mod).

Mods I use:
Adul's Arsenal
Armorer mining mod
Adamantium Armor
Helm of Tohan
Ranger Tent
Marksman Enhanced
Suran Archery Tradehouse
Firemoth
Laura Craft Companion mod
Wands mod
Posted Image

Necronus
    Necronus

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8904 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

Surprisingly, Oblivion was my first game, then I played Daggerfall THEN I got Skyrim. Haven't played the others. Oblivion was my favourite, as Skyrim seems kind of...bland, and a let down. Daggerfall had confusing controls that I could not get used to, and getting around places was bloody hard. Oblivion, I can actually run (I can run Daggerfall, but I stated what I didn't like about it, along with some un-mentioned features), Skyrim lags a bit on my computer. Oblivion was pretty medium difficulty, pretty good story and the gameplay was decent and tolerable enough to play. Mods made the game playable in a fun sense, and not a 'God, nothing else to play' way.

I didn't explain it very well, but I liked Oblivion the most as it was the easiest and only playable game I could run.
My PSN is ToUcHaBlE_No0b. Steam: Necronus - Interstellar Panda

iHazFail99

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

Actually, I'm going to try Oblivion, Morrowind is proving is proving to be really clunky and retarded. Don't get me wrong, I USED TO love that game! USED TO!
Posted Image

Necronus
    Necronus

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8904 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

View PostKrova, on 20 February 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

In Morrowind, when you level up in a certain skill, it makes you more accurate with those weapons, as opposed to the newer games where as long as the crosshairs are on target, you will hit.

I actually really liked that the player, being an untrained civilian, can't just rush into battle with a bunch of bandits and win in their very first exposure to combat.  You'll find that being able to pay for training an unlimited number of times (there's no cap: if you have the gold, they'll train you) is a good balancer.

I usually pick out a home and live as a city-dweller (with occasional non-combat excursions for the gold) until I'm proficient enough for real adventuring.
Actually, this may not be a surprise, but in the fallout games(Fallout 3 and New Vegas, both made by Bethesda), skills have a big part in accuracy too. I mean, I still miss while aiming down my sites with a guns weapon, and my guns is 100. I used to miss all the time. Now, that being said, the Fallout Games are still focused mainly on the base accuracy of the gun, how you use them, ect.

The skills till have a big part to play, though.
My PSN is ToUcHaBlE_No0b. Steam: Necronus - Interstellar Panda

Gheart
    Gheart

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2830 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

View PostiHazFail99, on 21 February 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Actually, I'm going to try Oblivion, Morrowind is proving is proving to be really clunky and retarded. Don't get me wrong, I USED TO love that game! USED TO!

I don't think I could ever stop playing Morrowind, ten years after release and I still love it as much as I did almost a decade ago. I even bought a sealed copy of the game just to keep as a symbol of my childhood. :)

GravCat
    GravCat

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7768 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:38 AM

If you play Skyrim for a couple of hours and then start up Oblivion, you think to yourself, "Why the fuck did I ever enjoy this game?"

Maybe it's just me.