Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Cabinet Warehouse Design / DropCrate Design

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

cecilexplodes
  • Minecraft: cecilkrakken

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

So I have been pretty obsessed with designing the ultimate storage systems for my fledgling underground bases.  The criteria I've set for myself is pretty simple: the systems have to be cheap to build (as in low resource usage) and be compact as possible.  I also wanted to make no use of double chests as I want as much individual storage as possible.  I challenged myself to fit as many individual chests into a relatively small space, and to have all redstone easily hidden.

I came up with two designs; a simple chest-of-drawers type warehouse, and what I like to call DropCrate.

Let's start with DropCrate:

Posted Image

This design is a mash up of a pretty typical Pez Dispenser type minecart launcher, with a evil-genius trap door feature that drops the cart and sends it back into storage.  The flaws in this system are that you cannot label the carts easily, and it takes up a lot of vertical space.  The more carts you want, the more space you need.  The upsides are that in an underground setting it doesn't really take up that much space.  Storage carts are dropped from the Pez machine into the loading bay, then dropped again to the rail to be sent home!  Super simple, and not very original.

Posted Image

Simply push a button and a cart drops, unload or reload the cart, then send it on back to the storage.  Pretty simple, pretty effective.  And  the redstone is pretty easy to hide.  In the pictured version of this system, the carts drop pretty slowly.  In the version I use in my SSP world the carts drop pretty fast.

Posted Image

Posted Image
-----------------

The real winner here is the Cabinet Warehouse.  It is probably my pride and joy at this moment.  I managed to stuff 25 individual chests into a 9x5 area, not including vertical height.  The building/redstone only extends a couple of blocks further and hides very well!.

Posted Image

This makes it an ideal storage system for an underground base.  And it is highly functional.  To fit individual chests right next to each other I used storage carts that recede into the floor on command, keeping things nice and free of clutter.  I originally used this system in my base with only the pop up storage carts, but when I was re-imagining it in creative mode I squeezed in chests everywhere I could.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is my new favorite storage system.  Pull the open/close cabinet lever, then pull the open/close drawer lever.  The storage carts are the "drawers" inside of the "cabinets."  Fun!!

Anyways, here is a download for you to check the systems out.  (Note, the version is 12w06a, not 1.1)

Register or log in to remove.

Shadow Wolf Alpha
  • Minecraft: duderock101

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Why don't you just place Chests in a room :P

Posted Image

cecilexplodes

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostShadow Wolf Alpha, on 16 February 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Why don't you just place Chests in a room :P

Not as fun!!  Plus I don't want double chests, so if I just put single chests every other block then it would look extremely stupid, and take up more space.

Roland_Reigns

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

If my storage room wasn't already done I would probably design it something like the second one. I think that Idea for getting chests right next to each other is great.
One thing is I think you could change the room slightly so each minecart was hooked up to a drop cart system. Basically use the chest for things you done have so much of (gold, diamonds, tools) and the drop carts for mass storage of dirt, cobble etc. Though, this may be hard to fit in seeing where the buttons are placed in the drop cart.

cecilexplodes

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostRoland_Reigns, on 16 February 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

If my storage room wasn't already done I would probably design it something like the second one. I think that Idea for getting chests right next to each other is great.
One thing is I think you could change the room slightly so each minecart was hooked up to a drop cart system. Basically use the chest for things you done have so much of (gold, diamonds, tools) and the drop carts for mass storage of dirt, cobble etc. Though, this may be hard to fit in seeing where the buttons are placed in the drop cart.

I actually toyed around with that idea, but you are right about it taking up a lot of space.  The redstone doesn't really interfere too hard with each other at all, but it is just too huge for me to want to try.  The warehouse can be built in 10 minutes easy.