This week's early-release Snapshot is out! The following changes are confirmed:
- Added new world file format called 'Anvil' (256 max height and 4096 block IDs*)
- Multi-player light calculations do no longer cause affected blocks to be transmitted to the clients, instead the clients will recalculate the light on their own
- Villagers will repopulate villages based on how many houses there are available
- Some nights in villages will be worse than others...
- Added a redstone-controlled light source
- Decreased chance for the rare mob drops
- All animals use the new AI system now
*The game can't use the full range of IDs yet because there are still some assumptions that IDs above 256 are items.
NOTE: It is absolutely imperative that players back up their maps before testing the new format, just in case!
Jeb also had the following to say about the new save format:
UPDATE: The client/server files are now 12w07b! If you downloaded the files earlier today, and want the most up-to-date version, download the updated files from the links below:
Get the updated client here!
Get the updated server here!
- Crash bug corrupting levels when spawning mobs above the 255th block
- Sheep animation is correct in SMP
Are you a gamer of broad & diverse tastes? If so, we've got something you'll love - a weekly newsletter which covers news not just from Minecraft, but every game on our network! If you're interested, follow the link below and subscribe to the newsletter today! It's free - no catch! - and we'll keep you appraised of the latest news on all things gaming. In addition, anyone who subscribes to the newsletter before the February edition rolls out (on 02/21) has a chance to win a free month of Curse Premium - check it out!