Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Random textures for blocks! (Partially outdated)

random textues variation random mobs improvement graphics

  • Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

Poll: Random textures for blocks! (Partially outdated) (1588 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want this?

  1. Sure! (1315 votes [83.12%])

    Percentage of vote: 83.12%

  2. Maybe... (226 votes [14.29%])

    Percentage of vote: 14.29%

  3. No way! (41 votes [2.59%])

    Percentage of vote: 2.59%

If you do, you would like this...

  1. to be Included in the vanilla game. (457 votes [32.25%])

    Percentage of vote: 32.25%

  2. as an optional feature in the vanilla game. (610 votes [43.05%])

    Percentage of vote: 43.05%

  3. as a feature in Mcpatcher or OptifFine. (328 votes [23.15%])

    Percentage of vote: 23.15%

  4. Other... (post your suggesion) (22 votes [1.55%])

    Percentage of vote: 1.55%

Are you interested in variation between items too? (tools, food, ingredients...)

  1. Yes! I'd really like to see it. (338 votes [48.29%])

    Percentage of vote: 48.29%

  2. I don't mind about it. (240 votes [34.29%])

    Percentage of vote: 34.29%

  3. No way! That'd ruin everything. (122 votes [17.43%])

    Percentage of vote: 17.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1

iaureee
    iaureee

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 425 posts
  • Location: Lithuania
  • Minecraft: iaureee

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

*
POPULAR

IMPORTANT: Long time has passed and now I am certain that developers don't care about forums and community suggestions. But you CAN implement random textures into your texture pack and clients with MCpatcher or optifine will see them. I made a tutorial a while ago but it is horribly outdated and I have no idea how it works now and I don't feel like updating it, sorry.


The idea:

According to my idea, there would be few different textures for every block (or almost every) that game would randomly pick when the block is placed or found already placed. Common suggestion was also to add random items too.

This should improve the way everything looks (especially with texture packs) and it would work similarly to random mobs mod that is already supported and used in many texture packs. Look below if something is not clear for you yet.

Scheme below is OUTDATED due to changes in 1.5 then later in 1.6 In fact it's easier implement with today versions

Posted Image

More pictures in the spoiler!

Spoiler:


Misa's Realistic texture pack with this addition:

Spoiler:

  • I've found few replies in various posts about this, but I wanted more people to see it. This is only an suggestion so far, and i simply modified my terrain.png files.
  • Mojang has already done something like this - mossy and cracked bricks in strongholds that add much more variation. And if any of you played Terraria, you should get the idea because variations between grass, blocks and everything else is also seen there.
  • And since many of you mentioned, this could be optional, let's say a texture pack artist doesn't have enough time for this, he simply leaves all variants of block texture same.


You're welcome to send me more pictures showing how this feature looks in a texture pack of some kind. I'd post them here.



You'd really help if you post this banner into your signature!!! (copy-paste the code below)

Posted Image

[url="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1020295-random-textures-for-blocks-adds-more-variation-to-minecraft/"][img]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4730/wertyui.png[/img][/url]



Register or log in to remove.

#2

boombot851

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Nice idea.  Diamonds for you!  :Diamond:   :Diamond:   :Diamond:   :iapprove:

#3

Rice_Monsters
  • Location: In a galaxy, far, far away...
  • Minecraft: Umad haspaid police?

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

While a good concept, i'm kind of skeptical about how this would work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but depending on how this would be implemented, it could cause some serious tiling issues that would make every famous texture artist shake their fist at the sky. If you have say a stack of cobblestone, would it be completely random which block it would place down (say, the first 3 placed chooses "cobble 1" while the next one out of chance chooses "cobblestone 3")?

Maybe I'm thinking too narrow minded. I'm just gonna vote for a maybe until someone can disprove me otherwise. Once again though, great concept and idea, just slightly concerned about the after affects.
You want my two cents on this forum? Here ya go Posted Image

#4

Cozmosus
  • Minecraft: Cozmosus

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostRice_Monsters, on 12 February 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

While a good concept, i'm kind of skeptical about how this would work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but depending on how this would be implemented, it could cause some serious tiling issues that would make every famous texture artist shake their fist at the sky. If you have say a stack of cobblestone, would it be completely random which block it would place down (say, the first 3 placed chooses "cobble 1" while the next one out of chance chooses "cobblestone 3")?

Maybe I'm thinking too narrow minded. I'm just gonna vote for a maybe until someone can disprove me otherwise. Once again though, great concept and idea, just slightly concerned about the after affects.

Well, couldn't the texture have all the cracks that touch the edge match, but have the general texture different.

#5

Coolio678
  • Minecraft: coolio678

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

View PostRice_Monsters, on 12 February 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

While a good concept, i'm kind of skeptical about how this would work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but depending on how this would be implemented, it could cause some serious tiling issues that would make every famous texture artist shake their fist at the sky. If you have say a stack of cobblestone, would it be completely random which block it would place down (say, the first 3 placed chooses "cobble 1" while the next one out of chance chooses "cobblestone 3")?

Maybe I'm thinking too narrow minded. I'm just gonna vote for a maybe until someone can disprove me otherwise. Once again though, great concept and idea, just slightly concerned about the after affects.
if a texture maker doesn't like it, then they could just have all 3 of the textures be the same.

View Postspineyrequiem, on 21 November 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

You can't make metre cubed pieces of rock get jiggy with each other, that's just WRONG.
join the minitroopers bandwagon!http://jimjam-regime...initroopers.com

#6

Jellomob
    Jellomob

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2054 posts
  • Location: floating somewhere in the ocean

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

I would love to have something like this, though it would require several more textures for each block.



I think maybe this should only affect certain blocks/items, at least until there is more room for textures.

Posted Image

WE NEED CODERS! Come over to our forum and help out with the All Dem Dimensions mod! http://alldemdimensi....php?f=23&t=613

#7

Redyoshi101
  • Location: Location: Location: Location: Location
  • Minecraft: Redyoshi510
  • Xbox:xodX

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

I like it, except it would triple the size of the graphics files.

#8

Balduran
    Balduran

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3194 posts
  • Minecraft: Lol, No

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

It sounds ok in theory... But in practice this might leave some very frustrated people. Remember how you always have to keep replacing paintings until you find the one you actually want? Now imagine you have to do this with blocks and waste your tools/time.
(Just in advance - right clicking on a block with your hand to change the texture would lead to even further annoyances)
...But that's just my opinion.
My modder's resource and assortment of miscellaneous textures.
Status: Fed up with Minecraft [Consult the above link for details]
My DeviantART, requests welcome.

#9

GamesJoel152
  • Location: Minecraftia or Finland

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostBalduran, on 13 February 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

It sounds ok in theory... But in practice this might leave some very frustrated people. Remember how you always have to keep replacing paintings until you find the one you actually want? Now imagine you have to do this with blocks and waste your tools/time.
(Just in advance - right clicking on a block with your hand to change the texture would lead to even further annoyances)
They are random. When you place a block, it's random. In inventory, it would be just same texture.
And they are just little changes in blocks, i don't think anybody thinks like that you said.
- Censored signature -

#10

SecondAttempt

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Would be ok with textures that ought to be random like bookcases but certainly not for every block. Texture makers would be tearing their hair out.

Btw you want 'addition' instead of 'edition.'

#11

iaureee
    iaureee

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 425 posts
  • Location: Lithuania
  • Minecraft: iaureee

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostCozmosus, on 12 February 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Well, couldn't the texture have all the cracks that touch the edge match, but have the general texture different.

Exactly, changes to textures would be minimal. Currently same type of blocks are 100% clones.

View PostRedyoshi101, on 13 February 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

I like it, except it would triple the size of the graphics files.

Thad doesn't seem like a problem, graphics files aren't using much of space even in HD.

View PostSecondAttempt, on 13 February 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Would be ok with textures that ought to be random like bookcases but certainly not for every block. Texture makers would be tearing their hair out.

Btw you want 'addition' instead of 'edition.'

Ofc not for every block, crafting benches, enchantment tables and many others should have the same texture and texture makers could just make few copies of the same terrain file if they want so.
And thanks for correction, there may be many more mistakes.  Posted Image

#12

Ovo
    Ovo

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 368 posts
  • Location: France
  • Minecraft: Ovocean

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes I'd like this included in Optifine/MCPatcher !
I had the idea too months ago but never took the time to propose it, thanks for doing it. Have you mentioned it in Optifine's thread ?
Sharing | Freedom | Kindness | Wisdom => The roots for a better world.

#13

iaureee
    iaureee

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 425 posts
  • Location: Lithuania
  • Minecraft: iaureee

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostOvo, on 23 February 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Yes I'd like this included in Optifine/MCPatcher !
I had the idea too months ago but never took the time to propose it, thanks for doing it. Have you mentioned it in Optifine's thread ?

not yet and i don't use Optifine personally but i'd like it in the MCPatcher.

#14

Homem Pigman
  • Location: Missile Launch Base

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

This could be annoying when building though.

Posted Image


#15

iaureee
    iaureee

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 425 posts
  • Location: Lithuania
  • Minecraft: iaureee

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostHomem Pigman, on 12 March 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

This could be annoying when building though.

only very slight changes to the textures! one block shouldn't look uglier than other.

#16

TinyManBaby

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

This is a pretty good idea! Posted Image to you!
That'sssssss a very nice post you have there.

#17

Broken_Hitz
  • Location: Hiding behind my monitor
  • Minecraft: BozoHimSelf

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

yes good concept and it wouldn't really hurt the game either, so make it get developed in just make sure they're not to different that you can't see what item they are (just to be sure :P)

#18

lolbot720

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Well, to avoid texture pack rage, you could have the basic terrain.png, and then you could have terrain1.png, terrain2.png, etc. and if there's only 1 terrain file, it will use textures from that, if there's 2, it will mix between the 2, etc. so texture packers can have a single texture style, or a multi-texture style.
- lolbot720, the guy who does the things
Posted Image

#19

iaureee
    iaureee

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 425 posts
  • Location: Lithuania
  • Minecraft: iaureee

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

View Postlolbot720, on 12 March 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

Well, to avoid texture pack rage, you could have the basic terrain.png, and then you could have terrain1.png, terrain2.png, etc. and if there's only 1 terrain file, it will use textures from that, if there's 2, it will mix between the 2, etc. so texture packers can have a single texture style, or a multi-texture style.

i think someone already mention this and it's exactly what i am thinking about.

#20

iaureee
    iaureee

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 425 posts
  • Location: Lithuania
  • Minecraft: iaureee

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

*Bump* upgraded whole post and the idea itself.