Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Can't find nether fortress

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Maddognils
  • Minecraft: Maddognils

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Haven't seen any recent topic about this so here we go.

I've been walking for miles in the nether all around the place and I haven't found a nether fortress, so is it possible to generate a new nether? Or should I move the portal really far?

What's the best way of finding it?

Appreciate any answers :-)
I made Suicidalship!

Register or log in to remove.

Calypo
    Calypo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4043 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Are you playing on a world created prior the the update which introduced these fortresses? If so, you may have to start a new world.

Maddognils

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostSillyCheese, on 12 February 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Are you playing on a world created prior the the update which introduced these fortresses? If so, you may have to start a new world.

Playing on 12w06a snapshot.

EDIT: it was generated in 12w06a, still playing on it.
I made Suicidalship!

Calypo
    Calypo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4043 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostMaddognils, on 12 February 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Playing on 12w06a snapshot.

EDIT: it was generated in 12w06a, still playing on it.
Hmm... That's strange. I usually find them as soon as i enter the nether.
You may just have to walk around for ages. Moving the portal won't do anything, especially as 1 block in the overworld is only 1/4 of a block in the Nether.

Taizz
    Taizz

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1751 posts
  • Minecraft: Taizzz

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Delete your DIM-1 in the world save if you want to generate a new nether. Keep a backup though!

Have I helped you? If I have why not help me back and hit the Posted Image down below? :D

Juaneiro
    Juaneiro

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Minecraft: Juaneiro

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

well probably is just terrible luck... generally finding a fortress just requires like 100 blocks trvel they are quite common
Posted Image

bunkaz92
    bunkaz92

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1182 posts
  • Minecraft: Dravarden

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

in 1.1 use the seed ''404'' and use the portal, you will find a fortress (use creative before so you can find it)
Posted Image
thanks to LucasAntunes998 for making this banner!

Maddognils

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostTaizz, on 12 February 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Delete your DIM-1 in the world save if you want to generate a new nether. Keep a backup though!
I will try this, thanks.

View PostTaizz, on 12 February 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

This just generated the exact same nether.
Is it possible to take another world's DIM-1?
I made Suicidalship!

isupreme
  • Minecraft: isupreme

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Just as Bunkaz92 suggested, remember you can make the seed in creative and fly around looking.
As without so within.  ~~~  
You don't need a spiritual leader to achieve enlightenment.

Maddognils

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I used the seed 404 to generate the nether and put that DIM-1 folder in my world, thanks so much everyone :)  :Diamond:
I made Suicidalship!

Maddognils

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Another problem has occured, when I exited the portal it generated a portal somewhere else, no idea where this is.

Actually nevermind, I dug underground and found resources for a compass, i'm on my way back now. :)
I made Suicidalship!

thejockgamer
  • Minecraft: thejockgamer

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'm on a pvp server and I can't find one. Fortress's are ON but i've traveled soooo far. Any ideas?

Posted Image

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

View Postthejockgamer, on 12 April 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

I'm on a pvp server and I can't find one. Fortress's are ON but i've traveled soooo far. Any ideas?

Keep looking and don't bump old topics from February.  (Using Far view distance helps a lot.)
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

Auggie
    Auggie

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

If you use AMIDST to look at Nether Fort coords, you'll see that they are in bands running North/South.  So I would advise travelling in basically East or West (varying the X axis) for hundreds of blocks.  I've also read you want to look around 40-70 height (Y), can't I confirm that.

In my current single player, I spent 5 hours on a weekend running around and found nothing.  I was about to use tools to find them, but I decided I would try once more and set out due East and found one in about 10 minutes (with dual Blaze spawners and a couple Nether Wart rooms near my entrance.. so bingo!).  Mine was almost entirely incased in Netherrack, I was just boring through a mountain, following the caves, staying at roughly 40/70 Y height and walked right into it.

When went it doubt, travel on the X axis and in the middle elevations for a ways in a straightish line.

CustomMine

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

View PostCalypo, on 12 February 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

Hmm... That's strange. I usually find them as soon as i enter the nether.
You may just have to walk around for ages. Moving the portal won't do anything, especially as 1 block in the overworld is only 1/4 of a block in the Nether.
its actually 1:8 scale so it would be 1/8 of a block

SUPERDUCK89
  • Minecraft: iDarkestninjazZ

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

I find them very easily! Set your render distance on far

YAY! Signatures make me cool

Rime
    Rime

Carpenter

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

There's something I've started to notice.  I've found most of mine when I get a mix of blocks in an area.  Whenever I find gravel, soul sand and netherrack I usually manage to find one not too far away.  I'm not rich enough to have a machine that can use a 64-bit OS, so I have to be careful with the render distance.

thereichs
    thereichs

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2484 posts
  • Minecraft: thereichs
  • Xbox:JackAttack2K

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostRime, on 26 May 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

There's something I've started to notice.  I've found most of mine when I get a mix of blocks in an area.  Whenever I find gravel, soul sand and netherrack I usually manage to find one not too far away.  I'm not rich enough to have a machine that can use a 64-bit OS, so I have to be careful with the render distance.

Stop bumping these topics! D:<

tie_twix
    tie_twix

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Or should I move the portal really far?

Well when you move one block in the Nether, it is the equivalent of moving 8 (I think - could be six) blocks in the overworld. So it will be much quicker to search around in the nether rather than walk miles in the overworld and place a new portal, because you will probably still be pretty close to your original portal.
Posted Image