• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Copen
    Copen

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:23 AM

Hey, I just bought Minecraft today and am looking around for a way to play with just 1 friend.  Would this require setting up my own server?  I looked around online and saw a bunch of different answers.  Really all we want is to be able to play online with each other in a private game.  We don't care about mods or anything, although being able to play more than just vanilla would be a bonus.

Register or log in to remove.

reader
    reader

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 701 posts
  • Minecraft: marshtine

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

if you have more then two computers , then create a server. Even with just two try and create a server in the best of the two. Unless you list it some where , only you and your friend will be playing on it.

I wanted to do this , but both my computers are POS. So it almost worked, but didn't. Will try again later though. I really want to play in the same world , at the same time , as my brother.

Copen
    Copen

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:32 AM

Is it very taxing to run a server? If not, I guess I could just play on the laptop...Also, is there any word of being able to connect to an IP, like hosting your own game like in most games?  Thanks for the reply!

reader
    reader

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 701 posts
  • Minecraft: marshtine

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:36 AM

Copen said:

Is it very taxing to run a server? If not, I guess I could just play on the laptop...Also, is there any word of being able to connect to an IP, like hosting your own game like in most games?  Thanks for the reply!
You use your local IP for lan games. You public IP for net games. The one who hosts the server uses localhost as their IP or the private IP , that is if they are playing off the computer too.

The server takes a lot of resources to run. There is a thread for optimizing them though, I have gotten mixed results from that and the other stuff I have tried.
http://www.minecraft...?f=1012&t=68128