56 replies to this topic

juxta86
    juxta86

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Minecraft: juxta86

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

So one of my friends posted in our little Facebook Geek-Clique for Minecraft that he was going to try out Ghast farming. Now, after consulting the almighty Wiki and common sense, I really cannot see a viable way of making them: a -  100% efficient for this purpose and b - Actually farming the Ghast's economically and safely.

I mean, given the rules for Ghast spawning, if you made a series of 5x5 rooms that are unlit (as transparent blocks intruding INTO this area will making spawning impossible) you would theoretically get a Ghast in there every so often correct? But my question (in a roundabout way) is:

Is there a way of indeed making a farm that will consistently and efficiently spawn ONLY Ghast's for a Ghast Tear/Gunbpowder/XP farm?
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Rodey1
    Rodey1

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Minecraft: rodey1

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

i did't even know you could find Ghast spawners.
The best fighting map of Minecraft 1.2.3 march edition: The Spleefing Arena by rodey 1. Rate 7/10

juxta86
    juxta86

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

You can, if you've ever played a Vech's map you'll be very familiar with that nightmare. But I mean like how you spawn Skeletons, Zombies, Spiders, Creepers and Endermen etc they all spawn in low light within a certain amount of blocks space etc. I was wondering if a Ghast farm could be made and if so is it open to being an efficient trap/farm.
Posted Image

The_Dragoon
  • Minecraft: TheDragoon7

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostRodey1, on 08 February 2012 - 01:25 AM, said:

i did't even know you could find Ghast spawners.
You can't. This person is going to have to hack a spawner. Playing without mods, or hacks, there's no way to make a Ghast farm.

---

Personally, I think if your doing it for potion materials. I think a Zombie Pig-Man farm, and a Watermelon farm would be the vastly superior choice.

-Easier to kill
-The resulting potion (Nether Wart + Glistering Melon = Instant Healing Potion) is much better then the former. (Nether Wart + Ghast Tear = Slow Regen Potion)

However, you would still have to hack to make a PigMan farm.

However, if it's just for Gunpowder, you can make a Creeper farm without hacks. (With a lot of patients, and skill)

And if it's for XP, you could just emulate Captain Sparklez's Skyblock Survival XP grinder, and be done with it.

But if you insist on a Ghast farm, I'd build separate spawning chambers for the ghasts, and a main chamber for you to wait in that's well lit. However, as Ghasts can FLY, I have no idea how you might pump them into the main chamber for farming.

It's a thinker, all right... :iapprove:
My Let's Play Forum (In Development)
http://z13.invisionf...gule/index.php?

juxta86
    juxta86

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

The reason I asked is because I don't want to have to hack it into the game. That defeats the challenge and fun of discussing with you guys. But it seems in theory to be a plausible idea but I kinda get the feeling it wouldn't be a certainty to work and maintain it's spawning rate's (if any at all). And I agree a watermelon/Pigman farm is far more worth while due to the resulting potion combination/effect. But as I said my friend's comment got me thinking if it could be done. And if so does anyone know how to make it 100% efficient for this purpose.

It is a thinker, I may have to just go and build one to test it out.
Posted Image

Patroninja
  • Minecraft: Ahmad_Ninja

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

I don't think a ghast farm is worth it. Kill creepers, mine gold for instant health potions

much better
http://www.minecraft...5k-x-5k-border/
True survival server, and fun!

225bob
    225bob

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Location: I'M ON A BOAT AND, IT'S GOING FAST AND, I GOT A NAUTICAL THEME, PASHMINA AFGHAN!
  • Minecraft: 225bob

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

If I were to do it I would go all out.  Make a huge hollow cube out of cobblestone (gast resistant :D). Next I wouls put a balcony on the inside of the cube. On the floor of the cube I would use water to move ghast tears to a central collection point. Wear diamond armor and use a bow to shoot down the ghasts. It would not be fully automatic but it would make it easy for collecton.
Posted Image
A wise man once said, that nothing really dies, it just comes back in another form, then he died. So next time you see an ant, it could be him!

srkiser2
  • Minecraft: srkiser2

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

You would have to cover every other block not in your farm with slabs so the ghast will spawn in your farm more often than with out it. The reason for the slabs all over the nether is that mobs cant spawn on them. I've been working on my server towards this, the result is a low but farm able amount of ghasts in my farm room with only 40% of spawnable blocks Slabed.
Yum,tasty tasty melons. Watermelon.
Posted Image

Ixinon
    Ixinon

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1411 posts
  • Minecraft: Ixinon

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:21 AM

I don't really see how it would be possible to make a Ghast farm.

srkiser2

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

View PostIxinon, on 08 February 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

I don't really see how it would be possible to make a Ghast farm.
Anything is possible with time. It won't be an automatic farm but a farm is still possible. I know I've made one.
Posted Image

xDMaelstrom
  • Minecraft: iMaelstrom

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

Well, if you can find an area that's a mountain or a cave, it would make it easier.

Ghasts need a 5x5x5 area and can spawn in the air. So, you would have to basically destroy an area of your nether (basically, you would need pillars spaced 5 blocks from each other for a 150x150 area, excluding the area where your farm is).

Also, ghast spawn rates are really low, so you would need a LOT of spawning area. I would kind of recommend making an arena for it, because there's no way to kill ghasts in an automated manner.
Check out my SSP progress at http://imaelstrom.blogspot.com/

srkiser2

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

View PostxDMaelstrom, on 08 February 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

Well, if you can find an area that's a mountain or a cave, it would make it easier.

Ghasts need a 5x5x5 area and can spawn in the air. So, you would have to basically destroy an area of your nether (basically, you would need pillars spaced 5 blocks from each other for a 150x150 area, excluding the area where your farm is).

Also, ghast spawn rates are really low, so you would need a LOT of spawning area. I would kind of recommend making an arena for it, because there's no way to kill ghasts in an automated manner.
Nope Ghasts can only spawn if there is a block. Don't Believe Me? MCedit all the blocks out of the nether and no ghast will be there . And Hacked in spawners Ghast behave differently than Naturally spawned Ghast.
Posted Image

Mantere
    Mantere

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1008 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

View Postsrkiser2, on 08 February 2012 - 04:49 AM, said:

Nope Ghasts can only spawn if there is a block. Don't Believe Me? MCedit all the blocks out of the nether and no ghast will be there .

This is true. Here is a thread with some Nether mob spawning research.
http://www.minecraft...mob-conditions/

I recommend it for everyone who is interested how mobs spawn in nether.

Posted Image

Diece
    Diece

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

i assume it could be done

juxta86
    juxta86

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Wow, lol. I awake to a continued discussion about Ghast farming. It seems to me like it CAN be done but not efficiently which is what I suspected earlier before I posted this thread. But I wanted some insights to see if people had indeed tried and failed/succeeded with this. Shame it would be neat to not have to chase those white whinger's all over the Nether for Ghast Tears.

Oh well I guess the dream is over...thank you for your input people.
Posted Image

Danny159
    Danny159

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

If you want a Ghast farm, you need to half-slab a whole lot of Nether... XD

Though if you're persistent and dedicated enough it can be done =3

Personally, I don't think its worth the time and effort for Ghast tears.
And gunpowder is more easily accessible from Creepers XD
Posted Image [SSSS]

brendanan
  • Minecraft: Mimodo

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

It would take a lot of effort, and will by no means be automated, but really it is possible. Look into the spawning conditions of ghasts, pigmen, and magma cubes. Create an area (really large area for the spawning) that allows ghasts to spawn in an enclosed area, but don't allow/minimize the spawning of the magma cubes and zombie pigmen. If you can't get around them spawning, perhaps create a way to move them out of your way.

Now you have them in an enclosed area (perhaps a bunch of areas just large enough to let them spawn, and make everywhere else impossible to spawn), you can develop an efficient, safe way of killing. Whether this be somehow channeling them all to the same spot, or moving between individual spawn areas, and then a spot to hit them where they can't hit you. It is far from an efficient method, but it is a good thinking point. If I had the time on my hands, and wasn't leading a group minecraft project, I would look into this and see what I could come up with.
Brendanan (mimodo) - Dwarf Mining Founder, Dwarven City Founder - Co-coordinator
Posted Image(Interested? PM me)

mabyeyesterday66
  • Minecraft: mabyeyesterday
  • Xbox:So Blue

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

i guess so...
Hello.

fumifieder

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Sure, it would be possible. But you would need A LOT of blocks and A LOT of space for it to be anywhere efficient. But, like others said, hunting pigmen and having a melon farm would be a better option.

juxta86
    juxta86

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Yeah I'm starting to figure it's not going to be worth it in regards to: a - resources and time consumption and b - materials farming efficiency. Like I agree that it is possible to do but man reading some of you guy's advice it seems I am better off with a regular mob grinding trap as per the tried and tested method of a either a fall drop trap or a lava blade grinding trap (both have different pro's and con's so build both to be safe lol)

But thank you guys I really appreciate your feedback you've more than satisfied my curiosity on this particularly tricky subject. But it might be worthwhile if you did it over a period of time as an ongoing project, so I might take up this for something to do when I got nothing else to do in game.
Posted Image