Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Rillian's Victorian Town - Upper District

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

xRILLIANx

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

NOTICE:

This thread was made in February of last year. It has not been updated since March of last year. I do not intend on updating it further, as I have moved on to much bigger, better projects. Stay tuned for those later.

Hey guys,

Rillian here! I've decided to scrap the Gothic town that I was creating, because it was kind of boring, and I really just wasn't all that into it. In its stead, I'm doing something new and challenging: I'm creating a Victorian town: that's right, it's got curves. It's got angles. It's got towers. It's got everything (so long as "everything" is blocky)!

An Overview So Far:

Posted Image

More Screenshots
Spoiler:
=================================================

And of course it would not be fair to take all of this for myself, so I'll list the credits here:

Design and Construction - xRILLIANx
Singleplayer Commands - simo_415
TooManyItems In-Game InvEdit - Marglyph
Kaevator's Frames - Kaevator
JohnSmith Texture Pack - JohnSmith

Please enjoy and leave your feedback, whether that be constructive criticism, or ego-boosting praise. If you want to see more of what I do, do not hesitate to click my signature, and check out everything I've done thus far. Thank you ladies and gentlemen!

Register or log in to remove.

tobitobide

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

The house looks amazing, if you made an entire town like this, it would be on my top 3 maps. :)

ballermon

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Too bad he isn't even playing minecraft anymore. Diagonal walls? Sloped roofs? Multiple materials in one block? ...sorry but if I could rate you down I would. There is a line between MC and "something else" and you crossed it.  Posted Image

EDIT: Redeemed yourself with the new pics. Looks ... peaceful. May just be the dark wood though.
Posted Image
Want to help me raise this? Give it a click!

xRILLIANx

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

View Postballermon, on 07 February 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Too bad he isn't even playing minecraft anymore. Diagonal walls? Sloped roofs? Multiple materials in one block? ...sorry but if I could rate you down I would. There is a line between MC and "something else" and you crossed it.  <_<

Call it what you will; really, I'm just using a couple of aesthetic mods that make Victorian architecture truly possible. I can create them without the use of slopes, but I'd much rather do it my way; if you don't like it, you can always go find a different thread to follow!

Nutbag_Deluxe

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Looks good... but not really Minecraft-y. Still, I'm curious how a complete city would look like with the slopes mod installed.
Shameless self-propaganda: check out my town!
http://www.minecraft...r-and-railroad/

ClassyCats
  • Minecraft: ClassyCat

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

I would prefer it with brick stairs instead of the brick slope, and I'm not a fan of that timber frame thing. however, I still support you Rillian  :D
"I do not always get classy, but when i do, it's with cats"
"Stay classy, my friends"

Githerax
    Githerax

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1902 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

ANGLES CONFUSE AND ANGER THE GITHERAX
Block-busting builder!

Creativityy
  • Minecraft: Creativityy

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

UGGHHH these slopes blow my mindddd. So many more possibilities! AHH! My mind is blown!

xRILLIANx

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

View PostNutbag_Deluxe, on 07 February 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Looks good... but not really Minecraft-y. Still, I'm curious how a complete city would look like with the slopes mod installed.

View PostClassyCats, on 07 February 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

I would prefer it with brick stairs instead of the brick slope, and I'm not a fan of that timber frame thing. however, I still support you Rillian  :D

View PostGitherax, on 07 February 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

ANGLES CONFUSE AND ANGER THE GITHERAX

Okay, so I'm going to redo the house without the slopes. The timber-frames stay because I think they're just amazing how they are. But slopes can go.

View PostCreativityy, on 07 February 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

UGGHHH these slopes blow my mindddd. So many more possibilities! AHH! My mind is blown!

Savajj
    Savajj

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Minecraft: caprex213

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

Amazing, as with all of Rillian's works.

Although I don't really like the rounding, it still looks really cool.

Seeing as you scrapped said gothic town, is there a download for it? I liked how it looked and it would be nice if you allowed the public to finish it.

:3 :3 :3
Posted Image

xRILLIANx

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

View PostSavajj, on 08 February 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

Amazing, as with all of Rillian's works.

Although I don't really like the rounding, it still looks really cool.

Seeing as you scrapped said gothic town, is there a download for it? I liked how it looked and it would be nice if you allowed the public to finish it.

:3 :3 :3

Thanks, mate!

As far as the Gothic town, it's in the same world as the other Medieval town, so I'll just have to update that download for you!

xRILLIANx

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

Okay guys, the town has been updated with a wheatfield, a fishing dock, a watermill, and a storehouse!

Githerax
    Githerax

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1902 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:35 AM

Looks great!  And I was just joking about the slopes; use the mod if you want, it looks fine.
Block-busting builder!

xRILLIANx

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:39 AM

View PostGitherax, on 09 February 2012 - 04:35 AM, said:

Looks great!  And I was just joking about the slopes; use the mod if you want, it looks fine.

Haha, thanks mate! I changed them because there were a few people who were all uppity about it, and they had a point: slopes aren't THAT "Minecraft-y".

peachsnowfalling
  • Minecraft: grayphoenix

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostxRILLIANx, on 09 February 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

Haha, thanks mate! I changed them because there were a few people who were all uppity about it, and they had a point: slopes aren't THAT "Minecraft-y".

Beautiful shots :)

Personally, I think you should let your creative vision take you where it will... if that requires a higher level of precision or definition than vanilla minecraft allows, mod to your heart's delight. I have mixed thoughts about this, but I think we must also ask what the developers intended. Question: was this all made, this "sandbox" world,  so we could keep things "vanilla" (pious Mojang loyalists!), or was not the concept of modding and adding, changing, evolving, central to the very minecraft experience? A friend of mine had the same comment when he heard about kaevator's slopes (being an early tester during alpha and now onto Terrarria). And what is your opinion of the little blocks mod? Personally I find the horizons are just that much wider with the option of using something like kaevator's slopes (to make fancy columns, say) or actually making furniture that's tactile with little blocks, not to mention the prospect of recreating Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap(little people!). I'm also much emboldened by mods such as high worlds and cubic chunks mod; anyone can see 127 blocks tall isn't enough, especially compared to infinite horizontal!! :D The aesthetic of something built with beautiful slope and timber framing integration (plus custom medieval texture pack!) is quite different from vanilla minecraft with no timber or fancy textures, no doubt, but that's not an argument for not building the pretty sharp angled version in my humble opinion B)

LeaMorta
    LeaMorta

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

I thought the whole concept of minecraft was the unlimited creativity. Taking normal earths resources then creating, recreating and crafting through the use of various tools. Even the lego world caved to their creators and artists with (dare I say) curved and round blocks, pulleys, motors and angles. When I cook I can creatively throw together ingredients I have in house or I can resource out others - the end result is a good (normally) meal. The point is the choice is mine. I currently do not have a texture pac loaded as I wanted to see what I could do with the basics. The proverbial BUT is I will eventually load one.

I don't like limits on my creativity and I love the minecraft interface and community. It does not stop me from longing for pulleys, gears and motors!! And YES gimmie angles and curves and more lighting options - perhaps even semi transparent blocks that I can insert a torch into.

I am in awe of the people that make amazing structures with the basics. I am equally in awe of the amazing texture pacs that open the options and allow people to pique amazing creativity. Minecraft is set up so allow you to take the game where you want to go with it. You are the one putting the time and effort into it in the direction you want to go.

Even a dirt house is a wonderful creation.

xRILLIANx

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback, and specifically to LeaMorta and peachsnowfalling for your insight. I wholeheartedly agree, but I will wait to see if the polls reflect our views. If they do, then I will start using slopes on my buildings to make them look stunning! If not—we'll cross that bridge later.

peachsnowfalling
  • Minecraft: grayphoenix

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostLeaMorta, on 09 February 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

I am in awe of the people that make amazing structures with the basics. I am equally in awe of the amazing texture pacs that open the options and allow people to pique amazing creativity. Minecraft is set up so allow you to take the game where you want to go with it. You are the one putting the time and effort into it in the direction you want to go.

Even a dirt house is a wonderful creation.

Great points, LeaMorta, and I couldn't agree more. That said, I would remind everyone reading about the nature of the game (or sandbox) to begin with and whether or not we're missing the entire point by asking whether something is "minecraft-y" or not. If it is indeed true that Notch and co built the game to be expanded and modded, than it merely can't be the case that anything is not minecraft-y; it's either vanilla or it's a mod. If anything, I would say us artists would do best to make our creative decisions based on, well, creative decisions, and not allow something, even a loyalty toward what we think minecraft is, let that get in the way. I understand you're building for a wide audience, and it's rather generous of you to give yourself built-in restrictions based on their desires. That's loyalty to a fan-base, right there! Right now I'm lucky because I'm only building for myself, but even so, I'd like to think some slopes or little blocks creations can make some jaws drop and maybe reconvince some old miners about using another mod or two ;) I look forward to seeing more of your creations!

ATGOWTWT
  • Minecraft: GrumpyGiant

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

View Postballermon, on 07 February 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Too bad he isn't even playing minecraft anymore. Diagonal walls? Sloped roofs? Multiple materials in one block? ...sorry but if I could rate you down I would. There is a line between MC and "something else" and you crossed it.  <_<

I'm very glad there isn't a downrate option.  Encourages trolling, jealous spite, and general negativity.  Much better to just uprate and comment on what you like and ignore what you don't.

@xRillianx:
I think mods are neat.  They can allow you to do more with the game than vanilla allows and can even inspire the game makers to include new features based on them (like pistons!).  My biggest reason for not using them is that I like to share my work and don't want to introduce dependencies that might discourage other people from downloading it.  I think that is something you may want to keep in mind when deciding whether or not to use them.

Regarding the new village:  I really like the build style and theme you are working with.  A whole Victorianesque village will look quite nice when it is done.  I wish the scale was a bit bigger tho.  I think Victorian houses are usually rather large (like little mini-mansions).  Also, be sure to include lots of gardeny stuff (preferably non-formal).  Space the buildings out a bit and leave room for windy paths, hedges, streams, little bridges, a gazebo or two, etc.  Above all, have fun - its your project.  I'll be watching this thread.
Posted Image

xRILLIANx

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Okay, the newest update includes the town hall, and another house! Expect the rest of the town square to come soon!