• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How do i make parts of my skin transparent?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

wiseguy430

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:48 AM

I'm using photoshop to edit, and i have all of the parts that i want pure black, and the rest erased completely.... it works fine on minecraft.net, but in-game its just all pure black.

Register or log in to remove.

Dr_Funk
    Dr_Funk

Carpenter

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:35 AM

There's a file in minecraft.jar called 2char.png. find that, and erase all the parts that you want to be transparent on your character and then replace the old one with your new one.
Posted Image
Minecraft is the meth of video games, try it once and you're hooked, and you'll stay up for 3 days when you're on it.

wiseguy430

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:43 AM

Dr_Funk said:

There's a file in minecraft.jar called 2char.png. find that, and erase all the parts that you want to be transparent on your character and then replace the old one with your new one.

do you mean just char.png? if not where can i find 2char.png specificially?

Dr_Funk
    Dr_Funk

Carpenter

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:51 AM

Actually, now that I look for it, it isn't there anymore... It used to be in the main directory in minecraft.jar, right next the the normal char.png. I've looked through the whole archive and I can't find it, it must have been removed in a recent update.
Posted Image
Minecraft is the meth of video games, try it once and you're hooked, and you'll stay up for 3 days when you're on it.

swfan333

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:43 AM

And since that supposed update, only the additional head textures part of the player skin template supporst transparancy. There is no way to make an invisable skin, sorry bro.
Posted Image

Stone Wera said:

I just want to lure children into my cave with promises of candy so I can enslave them and put them to work in my underground mushroom farm.

wiseguy430

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:57 AM

here's something interesting though. i edited the char.png file in the minecraft.jar mobs folder, and made it the same as the skin i was trying to make transparent.

the result? now anyone who is still using the default skin looks like my design... and they're transparent!
it freaked me out at first, to be honest.

ZacharyLy
  • Minecraft: ZacharyLy

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:02 AM

You need a Image Editing Software that allows you to place transparency as a background.

Such as Photoshop, all you do is open the char.png and delete all the pixels and have a transparent background.

It's really easy, but it still has your name above you.
Right Below is a char.png, right click the image and save it as char. Then place it into your minecraft.jar

-----
Posted Image
-----

Posted Image

Somgosomgo

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

View PostZacharyLy, on 17 December 2010 - 04:02 AM, said:

You need a Image Editing Software that allows you to place transparency as a background.

Such as Photoshop, all you do is open the char.png and delete all the pixels and have a transparent background.

Right Below is a char.png, right click the image and save it as char. Then place it into your minecraft.jar

-----
Posted Image
-----
well it's good and you can use the sneaking mod to hide your name
Posted Image

TheGopherTactic

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

Also if you do make your skin transparent (for now) all of the transparent parts will be block. You could try a camo skin though. :)

View Postswfan333, on 17 December 2010 - 03:43 AM, said:

And since that supposed update, only the additional head textures part of the player skin template supporst transparancy. There is no way to make an invisable skin, sorry bro.

PauseReplay
  • Minecraft: PauseReplay

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

What if you wanted to make sunglasses with transparent lenses? I know it's possible, I've seen it on other players, but I don't know how to do it. (This applies to the helmet layer of the skin)
-Replay

meawesome23

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostZacharyLy, on 17 December 2010 - 04:02 AM, said:

-----
Posted Image
-----
does it work for multiplayer?

Posted Image

Azuradam
    Azuradam

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Minecraft: Azuradam

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

what i did to make part of my skin transparent, was to define a colour to be the transparent selection, save the skin and upload it to http://www.lunapic.c...ion=transparent, click on the colour you chose for your transparent selection and it will save the skin as a gif, then use http://images.my-add...eeware_tool.php to convert it to png. hopefully that helps.

pick_maker

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

There should be a transparency slide bar.
Check out my youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/user/frahmco

eXteeL1032minecraft

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

It is impossible to do because the Mojangstas went ahead of us and didn't allow transparent skins... 'Dem Mojangstas... So clever haha