• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TANKDS
    TANKDS

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Basically, I have an idea to create Minecraft from the start with a basic flat world generation code and basic player controls, I will then add things in to improve "My" Minecraft so that I can learn how to add items etc and then maybe implement this into the real Minecraft in the form of a Mod. I was wondering if anyone knew what code and files would be needed to get started with things like world generation and player movements.

Register or log in to remove.

SweetBone

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Coding isn't just so easy, and you probably won't get more far than the others who tried, there are some nice games based on "minecraft from scratch" google my friend...google

Posted Image

TANKDS
    TANKDS

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostSweetBone, on 05 February 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Coding isn't just so easy, and you probably won't get more far than the others who tried, there are some nice games based on "minecraft from scratch" google my friend...google
What exactly should I search?

TANKDS
    TANKDS

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Is anyone able to help me with this, anyone with java knowledge who can give me some basic code to get me started?

TANKDS
    TANKDS

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

I dont me to spam or anything but I would seriously appreciate some form of help with this on at least where to start?

Inkooo
    Inkooo

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Well, what can you do then cause as mentioned a few posts earlier, making a minecraft like game is not an easy task. At least defo not for a coding starter. So, do you know what voxels are? Arrays? Do you have a basic understand of storing virtual data? Can you even code at all?

If not I really recommend googling for unity which is the perfect coding environment for getting started with making games. I for myself am working on a little voxel editor in unity myself.

Oh, and believe me, if you don't know anything about coding, not even best code snippets in the world would help you to make a game like minecraft. That's just not how coding works ;)

Hope this helps, cheers

legendsofminecraft
  • Minecraft: Pontoe

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

First, get into programming. If you do not know how program, noone is going to take you serious. You are basically asking us how to make a game, it's just like all noobs (No offense) who want people to help them make a new Call of Duty because they don't like noobtubes and want to make the original game but without noobtubes.

So, you will most likely be occupied with actually learning how to program at first, which might take you a good amount of months and lots of dedication, and even after that you will not simply be making a Minecraft.

You will most likely have some knowledge of programming, and you will be creating some silly and bad 2D platform games, and even that doesn't make you able to make a new Super Mario or something.

Then you mi might try your first try at 3D after maybe a year or two, and get into Unity (Which will be your best bet if you want to make a Minecraft quickly and without too much trouble). Then, after starting development with lots of fails, you might, if you can even keep up and stay motivated, have a Minecraft Classic with working movement, generation and chunk-based saving, however without the full lighting engine and probably without advanced generation, biomes and not to mention mobs, if even other entities at all.

Then you might consider getting some more people to work on it, and, after a couple of years you'll have your own Minecraft!... If the original Minecraft still even exists then, people even care about it because of new technologies and probably more interesting games coming out, and people will call your game a rip-off, and your whole idea will probably die since noone is going to invest in an indie game by a kid which is even being called a clone of an old popular game.

I might have exaggerated a bit here and there, but since you seem like one of those noobs I talked about earlier (Still, no offense but I have LOTS of experience with people like you. I have been one, every programmer eventually have) I have added some time here and there.

Good luck!