Nintendo and Mojang have announced the surprise release of Minecraft on Nintendo 3DS. This is a separate edition of the game designed specifically for the 3DS.
- Compatible with the following 3DS consoles: New Nintendo 3DS, New Nintendo 3DS XL, and New Nintendo 2DS XL
- Priced at $29.99
- Maximum world size is 2016 x 2016 and 128 blocks high
- Inventory and crafting make use of the 3DS touch screen
- Does not support multiplayer, local multiplayer will be added at a later date
- This is not a console or Bedrock edition of the game, it is a 3DS specific version and the closest equivalent edition in features is the 0.15 Friendly Update version for Minecraft: Pocket Edition
- This edition of Minecraft will continue to receive updates
- Available on the Nintendo eShop now in America and Japan, and launching in Europe very soon
- A packaged cartridge will be available in retail stores at a later date
- There are 6 skin packs included with the game, Biome Settlers Pack 1, Biome Settlers Pack 2, Redstone Specialists, Journey to the West, and Holiday Skin Pack 2015
- There are 2 texture packs included with the game, City and Plastic
Here's what Mojang had to say on Minecraft.net:
Just a few months after we brought Minecraft to Nintendo Switch, we're double-dipping with the big N to bring the game to the New Nintendo 3DS series. Whatever next, an N64 port? Get on it, Jens! [...] That dual screen setup helps make crafting easier than ever, with quicker access to your inventory and a handy map on the touch screen, perfect for charting out your worlds.