Azanor, I had some fun brainstorming an idea someone had for how to handle aura's and flux that I think could mesh well with the system you have envisioned for TC5. I wasn't initially sold on the idea of the aura's but I'm quickly coming over to your side of it.
- Split flux into two types: Essentia flux and tainted flux.
- Essentia flux is created when excess essentia is vented into the aura. All essentia flux has a prefix for the type of essentia that created it. So ignis flux, arbor flux, aqua flux etc.
- When flux is vented into the aura through a variety of magical processes it has a chance to convert into tainted flux.
- The chance that flux turns into tainted flux can be reduced with filters and more advanced machines.
- Flux will break down over time and leave the aura, it does this by triggering a magical effect in the chunk and can be biome specific.
- Arbor flux will cause new saplings to sprout randomly in forest and jungle biomes, cactus in deserts. Aqua flux will cause it to rain, ignis will scorch grass into sand etc.
- Some flux effects can combine, Ardor will react with Praecanteo and spawn greatwood or silverwood saplings (silverwood only in magical forest biomes).
- Make all of these reactions secret and it'll be something fun for the player to do, to see what combinations he can come up with. Higher
concentrations of flux have higher chances of firing.
- A high concentration of Praecanteo can completely change biomes and react wildly, creating new mob varieties and cool effects. Greatwood blocks will break and turn into wild golems, toads will rain from the sky and gold flowers will sprout from the earth and leave nuggets that be be collected.
- Tainted flux will not create it's own effects but merely have a chance of being consumed alongside other flux and create bad versions of their effects. Benign examples can be two headed cows, mutated mushrooms and thunder storms. More severe effects are tainted mobs and traditional taint effects.
Essentially I'd like to see the mod move into wacky terraforming crazyness where you can have a wizards base fluctuate wildly in different directions in its biomes and effects. I might for example pump a bunch of herba flux into the aura near my farms and see my plants mutate randomly. Maybe I'll place a stabilizer in one area and dump gelum into it's aura and create a localized snowstorm that lets me harvest all the snowballs I want. I might even want to mutate my sheep into having silver fleece by dumping praecantatio and carus near them and hoping for the best. Give nodes, greatwood/silverwood tree's, crystals and various machinery stabilizing effects that reduce the chance of bad things happening, much like how they help the infusion table right now. A wizards abode should be a beautiful but chaotic landscape.
Basically turn the crazy up to 11 and make playing with the aura a worthwhile and entertaining risk, you play god and hope the void doesn't notice you.
It would also be cool to be able to pump Taint into the nether so that it's gone from this world, but still around if I want to craft some stuff.