Havana (note: not my video and has no sound)
- Registered Member
Member for 6 years, 10 months, and 14 days
Last active Tue, Mar, 6 2012 01:20:45
- 0 Followers
- 129 Total Posts
- 1 Thank
Apr 16, 2011Updated album/sorted images chronologically and the first tower got started yesterday and should be well on it's way by the end of today :biggrin.gif:Posted in: Survival Mode
I've settled on using the fast-cycle gravity trap, without spawning any spiders (so this is an arrow/TNT producer) string won't be made and Feathers/Bone are pretty much useless.
Apr 14, 2011Posted in: Survival ModeQuote from Stewiecraft »I'm not a troll. Seriously, look at the pictures with the pumpkins.
like i said in the OP, it's not a vanilla server (it was when I first joined, but we drifted a lot since then... we've had a persistant map since December, though our plugins change as we find difference things to enhance the gameplay and keep the game from getting stagnant).
Anyway, this is off topic, so I won't discuss it further.
I updated the animated map and added a link to our dynamic map so you can see who's online right this second and what the project looks like :smile.gif:
also added a few screenshots to the album, though it's still not organized :/ I should really get on that...
Apr 12, 2011Posted in: Survival ModeQuote from Tyken132 »The plugin helped making the rest of the project a breeze, problem is I can't seem to get drops to turn off, even after entering the command.
Also the visuals still cause tons of lag, is there a way to turn if off?
look into optimine maybe?
Apr 8, 2011Work in Progress!! Volunteers wantedPosted in: Survival Mode
Server IP: Dirkocraft.com
It's a semi-whitelist so you must register and fill out a brief application on the website (<2mins) to do anything more than log in and look at stuff (breaking/placing blocks is disabled until app is accepted) it's a free, dedicated server (no VPS, so very little lag) run by Dirkson who is our gentle dictator admin :biggrin.gif: We have a great and welcoming community!
Apply here: http://www.Dirkocraft.com (note this is NOT a vanilla server. If ur a purist, this server may not be for you. See website for details).
Project Status: Stage 1 - started
Animation April 5 - April 29th, Top is North.
See our dynamic map here (Nexus is due South of default map position)
More Pics (Sorted chronologically, updated regularly)
The Nexus Server-Spawner project:
Clearly since this project is epically named, it must be epic (or maybe our protection zone mod needed a zone name so I just randomly named it Nexus... I guess we'll never know!). Alright so I've built 5+ darkrooms on my server for myself and for others (not counting redesigns for patch changes etc.) and while not all of my ideas are original by any means, I think I get around enough to know what I'm doing :tongue.gif:
My first intro to darkrooms was watching Kiershar's and more recently I enjoyed Etho's Let's Play series (specifically his water channel designs and insistance that making non-spawnable areas around the trap was more effective than making a larger trap) and I even have a few of my own tricks up my sleeve (yes, it's possible to have tricks and not have a youtube channel.. tru story!).
I have for quite some time now wanted to make a server worthy spawner that anyone can use and basically generates enough items that you don't have to AFK in for hours to get a decent amount of haul. But due to territorial limits, I couldn't easily alter one of my old spawners to clear out a 288x288 area. The goal is to spend about 15 minutes in it and come out with at least a stack of TNT, which translates into a target of ~7,000+ items per hour (very achievable in my mind). It'll be available to anyone on the server via a Nether portal and as soon as you port in, you'll immediately be standing in the collection stream. To avoid causing unecessary server load, movement in the zone will be highly restricted once completed and unclaimed items will be directly funneled to an incinerator. If no one is in the collection room, the area is so far off the beaten path that all chunks will be unloaded and cause the server no strain when not in use. Because of this the main treasure room will actually be in the Nether. A protection zone plugin will be used to restrict access to the zone via normal-world paths when completed.
Stage 1 - Level terrain; WIP - started
- Level 288x288 area to Y64
- currently the sky-frame is set at 275x275 but I will correct it shortly) completed
- Remove trees
- Remove lakes
- Cover cave entrances (lighting them is not necessary)
- Light surface (currently using pumpkins because I wanted to, pumpkins are easilly obtained because of the Growbie plugin)
- Build collection stream (Ice is available via Snowballz plugin) and determine optimal flat floor/stream design of a modular mob tower system
- Design grinder using gravity trap (fences under water) and send items to iced collection stream ASAP.
- Secondary grinder using Lava to kill fall survivors and design open air system to avoid the nasty habit of items getting stuck in walls/glass changed - no secondary grinder
- I've settled on using the fast-cycle gravity trap, without spawning any spiders (so this is an arrow/TNT producer) string won't be made and Feathers/Bone are pretty much useless.
- Complete grinders, collection system and 1 tower (tower size likely to be 32x32 ish blocks, by however many floors)
Stage 2 - TNT-blasting/MobTower partial production; Incomplete
- Have spawner partially working for TNT supply
- Clear all blocks down to Y18 (using TNT mostly)
- set up diamond/lapis mine from levels 6-15 using optimal 1x2 tunnels (Talock will start pattern, just copy it. You can keep what you mine)
- fill in lava lakes (use dirt/gravel/sand or buckets, please DO NOT make obsidian)
- assess tower design for spawnability, rate of kill, chance to despawn before death and possbility of clogging/slowdown (make any fixes)
- copy tower design to make multiple modular towers all feeding into grinders/collection
- teach a few people how to duplicate the designs as well.
Stage 3 - Finishing/Continuous Improvement; Incomplete
- Clean up including removing all temporary housing structures, chests, random blocks, etc.
- Clear last few layers of material down to Y6 (top of bedrock)
- Cover layer Y6 with non-spawnable blocks(probably smooth half slabs, though possibly cobble half-block)
- Set up/align Nether portal at collection point, remove portals at all other points within the Nexus zone
- Create Treasure room in Nether
- Continue to add modular towers until a diminishing returns is noticed or some other limitting factor is observed.
- 2011-04-15 - Updated album/sorted images chronologically and the first tower got started yesterday and should be well on it's way by the end of today :biggrin.gif:
- 2011-04-18 - Updated animated map, added a few more photos to the album, OP edits
- 2011-04-15 - Updated animated map, added a few more photos to the album
- 2011-04-12 - Added animated .gif to show progress from map view
- 2011-04-08 - Thread creation
Apr 8, 2011Posted in: Survival ModeQuote from Atanarr »best mob trap afaik is the design by etho. Every mob spawns in the mobtrap, there are no spaces for blocking and 100% of the loot get's collected. Also almost every spawn makes it to grinder without despaning (wich is a problem with giant mobtraps). I won't count the drops but i guess it's better than yours and takes less efford.
Yeah and upload your world please!
that's depends on the goal. Etho's design is optimized for singulating and separating drop types on a SSP map. It is not necessarily designed for SMP or massive amounts of drops (he's stated massive drop rates were never his intention).
So while I think Etho has some great ideas, don't think just because someone doesn't have a youtube channel (like the OP), their design couldn't possibly measure up...
Mar 28, 2011Posted in: Survival ModeQuote from Paininabox »<snip>the purpose of this thread isn't to inform readers of every possible application of even the most mundane game mechanics. I envision it as a sample of community ingenuity in emergent gameplay, like hugely detailed structures and complicated transportation devices and uselessly awesome redstone circuits. In a word, reading through this thread should inspire; if it does not, then I'm failing.
omg keep it just the way it is, ur doing awesome. Publications are rarely prestegious because of the the writers behind them... it's the editors that filter out the crap before it ever reaches the light of day.
Quote from Paininabox »<snip>The problem, however, is that then people might potentially be afraid to submit their threads for fear of being shot down. To this, there is no true solution. If I get too soft and let in some lesser threads, then I run the risk of watering down what should be pure concentrated awesome. If I'm too tough, people will never contribute and the list will be bereft. Given both extremes, I would choose more towards the latter than the former.
the solution is quite appearent. Good and inspirational threads will be submitted by the readers and fans as they fear no rejection :smile.gif:
Mar 22, 2011viewtopic.php?f=35&t=93046Posted in: Survival Mode
Also no longer any need to count blocks since we have F3 coordinates. just stand as close to your real-world portal as possible and get it's coords. Then divide the X by 8 and the Z by 8. Those will be the coords you want to place your gate in the Nether (ignore Y as height doesn't matter).
So i.e real-world gate is at coords X200, Z-45
In the Nether it should be at X25, Z-5.625 (place at 5 or 6, shouldn't matter too much, but you may have to try it once or twice).
So go into the Nether, hold F3 dig to the coords you need and manually create the portal. Then destroy the old portal, light the new one and walk through.
Mar 22, 2011Notre Dame by Mr Munkee viewtopic.php?f=1020&t=236765Posted in: Survival Mode
I like the better organized layout... my only annoyance with the list is I can't determine what is new from the last time I visited :sad.gif:
I mean this list has probly gotten larger than you may have first anticipated, but some indication of let's say what month the link was added to the list? would be handy? So I can know if I've already looked at all the stuff added in March, or February, etc. Even if you don't do it retroactively and just start now with a few March tagged listing and continue on into April... it'd be really helpful.
Mar 22, 2011Awesome I remember hearing about this back in Alpha, I think I watched part of your 'building' video. Great work man!Posted in: Survival Mode
EDIT: n/m I was thinking of the guy building Hogwarts... but anyways, still epic :biggrin.gif:
Mar 21, 2011Posted in: Survival ModeQuote from Raymoclaus »great thanks it must be the caves...all i ever find underground is caves. i should probably put torches all around the surrounding chunks.
and yes the minimum limit for mobs spawning near you is 24 blocks.
if anyone wants to see the design of the grinder/spawner,(the design is not mine at all), this is by a guy called Luclin and th video is at () also a tutorial by the same guy on how to make them somewhere else if you look for it.
note that the 0,0 chunk glitch was patched as of 1.3 so no longer increases spawns.
mob spawn rate is nearly constant within 300 blocks of you at all times, but if everything outside the walls of your trap are unspawnable (water, ice, half-blocks, glass or lit with torches), then all the suckers spawn inside your trap and get killed. I cannot stress enough that the size of the trap is not nearly as important as getting rid of spawnable areas in the caves and the surface within the 300 block around it (it's actually 144 block radius in a sphere around the player, but 300x128x300 is easier to remember for most ppl).
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.