Are you looking for the modern type of roads in cities? Or the old medieval ones you would come across in villagers?
Just some tips I use to improve my roads:
- Add a sidewalk
- Try working with different blocks than always black, such as gray with white lines or pink with white lines. The use of different colors can make a big difference
- Add modern streetlights at the sides or at the middle of the road.
- You could place iron bars at the sides to act as a guardrail
- Mixture different blocks in one road, some different blocks I like to use are: Gravel, Cobblestone, (stairs - slabs) and Andesite or the Path blocks, Podzol and Coarse dirt
- Like said in the tip before mix in some stairs and slabs to make it look like the path is old and cracking a bit.
- Add medieval streetlights every now and than.
- Don't let it go straight, make it go from the right to the left. As long as it curves alot.
- If you are making a town that has been overgrown add some leaves on the sides of the road every now and then).
This were the things I could come up with for now. Hoping they are helpful!
I try to use blocks to vary the roads but they end up looking out of place. Cyan terracotta and stone does look nice though.