I have made a minecraft server that uses my internal IP address (192.168.x.xxx as the server address. Only people using my wifi can log on to that server (is that normal)? Also, I have opened port 25565 on my external ip address (184.108.40.206). Also, when I do the step that most port-forwarding guides use, where I must type type my IP address into the url, I have to use my router ip address, which is different from the other two. The guide that I used was this http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/2701HG-B/Minecraft_Server.htm
The Firewall settings that I modified was for my internal IP Address, which for some reason opened up my external IP addresses's port. Im pretty sure that im supposed to modify my external IP address but.
so where the hell did I go wrong? If you read this please make an attempt to help me.
You x'd out the wrong address nobody on the internet can connect via internal address. only the external one, which you left non x'd. Some useful info would be what model router/modem you have. Also you should leave the server-ip= slot in the server config blank. Also it is normal for only people on your wifi to be able to connect via internal IP, the 192.bla bla one. It is your internal network, you are connecting from inside. When someone else on the internet wants to connect they need to connect via your external IP, because they are outside your network. To port forward:
1. Open command prompt on the computer the server is running on.
2. type "ipconfig" and press enter
3. find where it says the IPv4 address, write that down.
4. find where it says default gateway, write that down
5. open web browser and type in the default gateway, usually something like 192.168.1.1
6. go to where you set up port forwarding (Look for NAT, Virtual Servers, Advanced Settings, or Gaming, they usually have the right page for port forwarding.)
7. make a new port forward entry, put 25565 for external port start AND end, and internal port start AND end. Use TCP and UDP
8. Where it say "server IP" or "forward to" put the IPv4 address you wrote down earlier, this tells the router to forward all data coming in through port 25565 to the IP address of the server computer.
9. click save start your server, and go to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ , put 25565 in the port, and click "check" if it turns up green all is good, if not, then you might have a second device that needs to be forwarded, like a modem, this needs more advanced setup.