MineOS--the most simple way to host MC

fair enough. If it's that easy then I guess I can just, stop my world, back it up, archive it (for good measure take a snapshot of my virtualbox install), then update files and carry on :-)
    Biffa's Minecraft Redux - My Minecraft LP with a mix of Adventure & Tech/Science. Also a member of the HermitCraft server :-)
    upgrade to 64 bit =

1) ssh into your mineOS box

2) cd to the /boot folder of your boot device

3) fetch the 64bit bzImage and initrd files from the tinycore site:

wget "http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release/distribution_files/bzImage64"
    wget "http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release/distribution_files/microcore64.gz"

4) edit boot/grub/menu.lst file and add a new entry for 64bit.. ie copy past your existing entry but use the filenames
    of the files you just leeched

5) go to your tce/optional folder and fetch the filesystems-2.6.33.3-tinycore64.tcz netfilter-2.6.33.3-tinycore64.tcz files.. Edit tce/onboot.lst files to include those at bootup (files also on the ibiblio/tinycore site)

6) do a 'sudo filetool.sh -b' for good measure (if the iptables error annoys you, edit /opt/bootlocal.sh and comment out the iptables and basic-firewall lines)

7) reboot and select the new entry from the boot menu

8) Finally enjoy all of your ram :tongue.gif:
    Quote from Greylocke »
    Quote from FatMagic »
    So I'm new to Linux, and I needed a little help setting up the BiomeTerrain Mod.
    I have not run the BiomeTerrain mod, but if you're unhappy with the performance and are only looking at fixing the existing terrain gen bugs, you might try jmlsteele's server patch. It fixes problems with funky dirt/sand placement and other really odd and unnatural features that pop up in the current version of the MC terrain generator.

I have a ramdisk setup on a minimal system (1.8GHz 2GB win7 laptop) with:
    jmlsteele's SMP terrain gen patch
    dirbaio's Light Optimization patch

... and I have noticed a significant improvement in server-side performance over my initial non-ramdisk/vanilla server installation.

I also have ejhopkins' Wild Grass patched to the server, but not for server optimization... it just looks really cool!

I am totally new and have barely done any coding, I got the MineOS server installed but I cant seem to find much on how to mod it or even how to do some commands. Just wondering if you can explain step by step how you installed wild grass (server side) and also general guidelines for the installation of other server mods. Is there a minecraft_server.jar to edit? Also how do I use a give command with MineOS?
    Im trying to follow the video on the mineOS site, but when it tells me to put ./30_paths.sh nothing happens :sad.gif: and everything i type after that stops working too. How do i fix it?
    So I got everything to work, but when my friend tries to join, he gets a "connection timeout?" I'm using the VirtualBox method, and I disabled my firewall on Windows and forwarded ports 22 and 25565 on my router. What's wrong?
    Quote from JohnsAwesome »
    So I got everything to work, but when my friend tries to join, he gets a "connection timeout?" I'm using the VirtualBox method, and I disabled my firewall on Windows and forwarded ports 22 and 25565 on my router. What's wrong?

Did you forward to the virtualbox IP? Did you configure the network connection for your virtual machine?
    Quote from stonebringer »

Did you forward to the virtualbox IP? Did you configure the network connection for your virtual machine?

I followed this guide to setup my server.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDQGj8zC ... r_embedded

And I forwarded 25565 and 22 on the IP that I got when I set up my installation (192.168.1.143, compared to my host PC one, 192.168.1.51). Is there anything else I have to do?

Edit: I got the server working, I changed my router firmware and then forwarded the ports, then it worked. How come no commands work?
    So I finally got the server to run and had a lot of fun in the past two days with a bunch of friends. However, I got an error message when I tried to load up the minecraft session in VirtualBox. Was this because I saved the state of the session when closing it instead of shutting it down?

ERROR Window:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Minecraft.

VM cannot start because the saved state file 'C:\Users\Kelly\VirtualBox VMs\Minecraft\Snapshots\{0bf3391e-742f-449d-9826-9126dbf2d0bc}.sav' is invalid (VERR_SSM_INTEGRITY_FOOTER). Delete the saved state prior to starting the VM.

Details:

[noparse]Result Code:                  VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
    Component: Console
    Interface: IConsole {515e8e8d-f932-4d8e-9f32-79a52aead882}[/noparse]

Also tried deleting this .sav file (making a backup first), but the session still wouldn't start.. Any help would be appreciated, if I lose this world I will probably go on a murdering rampage because this will be the 7th one, and world losses are the main reason (and lag) for me switching to MineOS.
    I have been running the server program from the mine craft web site for the last few weeks on my machine a 965 quad core machine with 8 gigs of ram and letting the server use 3 gigs worth. But i like to reload my machine trying diffrent setups raid and operating systems. So wanting my machine back I built a 2.1 ghz machine with 1 gig of ram running mineos on it. LOVE IT so far and am working toward the day i can move my world files over to it and free my machine. but here is my problem right now I have an in house network of about 10 machines which can log onto eather one of the servers I have running and play on them. (yes the 1 gig 2.1 ghz machine runs fine with like 5 users) but no one from the outside can. I am pretty sure the problem lies in the fact that my external ip is realley the ip for my modem which the router then directs the traffic (in this case the default 25565 port) to my main machine but I am thinking there is no way to have both servers open to the world unless I change the port forwarding to the mineos ip wich would then require anyone from the outside who wanted to log onto it to change there port request to which machine they want. Am I correct in this? so should i just keep working on the mineos system to i learn enough about it to swap everything over or just send the minecrafos box over to my son's house then i can use the admin page in my browser to play and learn leaving this world on my machine safe until I can set it up on there.
    All right, here is a doosey and a challenge:

Using the latest recommended craftbukkit 556, some admins have found bukkit to be using too many files. The server lags and people get booted. Lag spikes whenever anyone joins or leaves and it basically builds upon itself.

A work around has been found for linux users, using the following.

'sudo ulimit -n"
    should reply "1024"
    Then use
    'sudo ulimit -n 4096'

In mineos, I can't do the sudo ulimit -n
    I can do it all by itself (ulimit -n) and it returns 1024 like it should.

I can do this however:

tc@box: sudo su
    root@box: ulimit -n 4096
    root@box: ulimit -n

But this does not persist, it does not change anything for the TC user, and I am at a loss.
    Can someone show me the light here?

I'm running 64bit MineOS in RAMdisk and craftbukkit 556
    So... I have a Mineos Ramdisk setup on a windows 7 32 bit virtual box host. Its all working great, apart from one little thing. Whenever I reboot the server using sudo reboot, when the server comes back up, it doesn't reconnect to my router. When I do Ifconfig, it has no lan IP address.

Not sure if this is a Mineos issue, or a Virtual box/host/router issue.

I have the router set to always give my server the IP 192.168.1.100, but I seem to get the issue even if I remove that rule.

A router reboot fixes the issue, its just having to reboot the router every time I reboot the server is a bit irritiating.

Any ideas?
    Quote from Murtdragon »
    So... I have a Mineos Ramdisk setup on a windows 7 32 bit virtual box host. Its all working great, apart from one little thing. Whenever I reboot the server using sudo reboot, when the server comes back up, it doesn't reconnect to my router. When I do Ifconfig, it has no lan IP address.

Not sure if this is a Mineos issue, or a Virtual box/host/router issue.

I have the router set to always give my server the IP 192.168.1.100, but I seem to get the issue even if I remove that rule.

A router reboot fixes the issue, its just having to reboot the router every time I reboot the server is a bit irritiating.

Any ideas?

It should get an IP address automatically.
    Is the MineOS server address is different from the hosting computer's address?

Possible things to check/solutions:
    1) Within virtual host make sure the network connections are bridged correctly.
    2) See if you can get your router to assign a static internal IP (ie 192.168.XX.YY) to the hosting computer.
    Quote from LlmDl »
    All right, here is a doosey and a challenge:

Using the latest recommended craftbukkit 556, some admins have found bukkit to be using too many files. The server lags and people get booted. Lag spikes whenever anyone joins or leaves and it basically builds upon itself.

A work around has been found for linux users, using the following.

'sudo ulimit -n"
    should reply "1024"
    Then use
    'sudo ulimit -n 4096'

In mineos, I can't do the sudo ulimit -n
    I can do it all by itself (ulimit -n) and it returns 1024 like it should.

I can do this however:

tc@box: sudo su
    root@box: ulimit -n 4096
    root@box: ulimit -n

But this does not persist, it does not change anything for the TC user, and I am at a loss.
    Can someone show me the light here?

I'm running 64bit MineOS in RAMdisk and craftbukkit 556

I recommend caution in updating to the latest craftbukkits.
    In past experience updates have broken my plugins.
    So, other than significant craftbukkit updates for security, I don't update if all my plugins work correctly.
    Quote from chippewaguy13 »

<<snip>>
    but here is my problem right now I have an in house network of about 10 machines which can log onto eather one of the servers I have running and play on them. (yes the 1 gig 2.1 ghz machine runs fine with like 5 users) but no one from the outside can.
    I am pretty sure the problem lies in the fact that my external ip is realley the ip for my modem which the router then directs the traffic (in this case the default 25565 port) to my main machine but I am thinking there is no way to have both servers open to the world unless I change the port forwarding to the mineos ip wich would then require anyone from the outside who wanted to log onto it to change there port request to which machine they want. Am I correct in this?

I may not understand your server configurations.
    Is that two hardware boxes ? Or two "server-worlds" running on one MineOS? (It can do that).
    If two hardware boxes, in your router, try forwarding specific ports to each hardware box.
    You can have up to three "server-worlds" running at the same time on one running MineOS in which case you'd need different ports for each anyway (ie 192.168.XX.YY:25565 and :25566). To access from outside you just need the outside IP address followed by :25565 or :25566, though the 25565 isn't necessary as that is the client's default port for accessing MC servers.

so should i just keep working on the mineos system to i learn enough about it to swap everything over or just send the minecrafos box over to my son's house then i can use the admin page in my browser to play and learn leaving this world on my machine safe until I can set it up on there.

Just copy the plugins and world directories from each into separate server-worlds on one running MineOS.
    Alternatively, under craftbukkit I use the Multiverse plugin to let players access multiple worlds on one "server" (ie port 25565).
    Quote from stonebringer »

I followed this guide to setup my server.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDQGj8zC ... r_embedded

And I forwarded 25565 and 22 on the IP that I got when I set up my installation (192.168.1.143, compared to my host PC one, 192.168.1.51). Is there anything else I have to do?

Edit: I got the server working, I changed my router firmware and then forwarded the ports, then it worked. How come no commands work?

For web-ui commands, check the port forwarding instructions or your ip-tables to be sure ALL the necessary ports are forwarded.
    I have 2 boxes in my house that were running minecraft servers. My main machine which is the quad core 3.4 ghz 8 gig ram machine, and the one I installed mineos onto a 2.1 ghz with 1 gig of ram. After a crash course with winspc I learned to copy over the world files and now have cloned the world i have been running for the last few weeks. i tried running both server boxes at the same time and had the router forward 25565 to my main machine and 25570 to the mineos box it did NOT like this set up!! long story short for the last 24 hours my mineos box has been ruuning the server and giving my main machine some well earned rest.

The next step in the learning will be to get bukkit running under mine os with nether/slip gates (and also fish people I love that plugin) I had it running on my win 7 server running the minecraft.net server (I understand the same .jar file but anyways). Before that i need to figure out some odd behavior i have been getting while starting world. I had the null string problem fixed that with replaceing the server properties file. but now I have this problem where if i tell the world to shut down it does not always do it but I have more luck placeing STOP in the execute box on the mine os admin page.

Also how do I shut down the whole system as in power off? do i go to the admin page in my browser stop the worlds then force stop the servers then just power off the mine os box? I have been shutting the world down then force stopping the servers after that i would go to the comand line on the mine os box and typeing "sudo reboot" and clicking the power off after the kill and stop commands have ran. So how do i properly power off this mine os box?

<snip>>
    The next step in the learning will be to get bukkit running under mine os with nether/slip gates (and also fish people I love that plugin) I had it running on my win 7 server running the minecraft.net server (I understand the same .jar file but anyways). Before that i need to figure out some odd behavior i have been getting while starting world. I had the null string problem fixed that with replaceing the server properties file. but now I have this problem where if i tell the world to shut down it does not always do it but I have more luck placeing STOP in the execute box on the mine os admin page.

Do please use more line-breaks due to the density of details in your posts. Lots of info is good, just hard to suss out what is what and respond.

To preempt bukkit server angst, check out the "Can't Start Bukkit" solution here:
    http://mineos.000a.biz/index.php/Bukkit_Problems
    That wiki site has some other tips and tricks which may be useful; and support forums at minecraft.codeemo.com may help too.

Make sure before starting you've the correct craftbukkit URL in uservars and have at least once hit the "Update" button in the web-ui's general server screen.

In stopping a world, I find it may take a few seconds. Confirm it stopped by clicking the "Status" button.

I have several bukkit plugins running, including favorites WildGrass port "Vegetation", runebukkit, tombstone, and our special favorite, DynMaps for live mapping.

Also how do I shut down the whole system as in power off? do i go to the admin page in my browser stop the worlds then force stop the servers then just power off the mine os box? I have been shutting the world down then force stopping the servers after that i would go to the comand line on the mine os box and typeing "sudo reboot" and clicking the power off after the kill and stop commands have ran. So how do i properly power off this mine os box?

'sudo poweroff' will power down the hardware.
    If you type 'busybox' at the CLI you should see a list of available linux system commands.

Prior to power off, just stopping the worlds is fine, shouldn't need to force stop the servers.
    If running as ram-disk, make sure to backup the world after stopping so it can be restored to stopping point after restoring and restarting the world on powerup.
    As my cron is set to backup on 30-minute intervals, I usually don't have to worry about backup the world unless we've just been playing.
    i tried following the directions on the link and there was no usebukkit file after following the steps I show a 0 size use bukkit file. one diffrence is my files are at mnt/hda1/minecraft/one when ever i try starting the server i drop down from pure to bukkit but when the server starts i see it says pure.

also when i look i see the white-list.txt file but it's not loading.

while waiting advise i will go check my paths and see if it's set to sda and not hda i think that may do it?

UPDATE:
    when i used ./30_paths.sh under defaults I changed mod=pure to mod=bukkit restarted and I now have slipgates!!!
    (i added that crafbukkit scrapbukkit and fishpeople).

At this point i think i have everything working i wanted to!!!! will stress test this box then take it over to my sons so he can host our world for our players and i can go back to reformatting my machine and trying some new things!!!!
    Quote from b0bje »
    upgrade to 64 bit =

wget "http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release/distribution_files/bzImage64"
    wget "http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release/distribution_files/microcore64.gz"

4) edit boot/grub/menu.lst file and add a new entry for 64bit.. ie copy past your existing entry but use the filenames

5) go to your tce/optional folder and fetch the filesystems-2.6.33.3-tinycore64.tcz netfilter-2.6.33.3-tinycore64.tcz files.. Edit tce/onboot.lst files to include those at bootup (files also on the ibiblio/tinycore site)

6) do a 'sudo filetool.sh -b' for good measure (if the iptables error annoys you, edit /opt/bootlocal.sh and comment out the iptables and basic-firewall lines)

I'm trying to do this right now... everything is fairly clear to me except for step 5. What is meant by "fetch"? When I prowl the TCE site, I can find the file... but it wants me to install with a gui app.
    Quote from Aksen »
    Quote from b0bje »
    upgrade to 64 bit =

I'm trying to do this right now... everything is fairly clear to me except for step 5. What is meant by "fetch"? When I prowl the TCE site, I can find the file... but it wants me to install with a gui app.

Actually, I think I figured it out! Micro Core uses "ab" for app browser, and to install I used..

tce-load -wi filesystems-2.6.33.3-tinycore64.tcz
    tce-load -wi netfilter-2.6.33.3-tinycore64.tcz
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes