Survival FTB/Tekkit Builds (Last updated: 1/5)

I recently started playing with the Feed the Beast pack. Been playing since 1.7.3 beta and my favorite things to do in MC is build machines to automate anything I can think of. After awhile you can only build so many variations with vanilla mechanics.Enter Feed the Beast. Been playing with it for a little less then a week and it is like a whole new game. So much to learn, and tons of fun. If you haven't tried it yet I highly recommend it.So far all I've managed to accomplish is a basic resource processing center. Geothermal Power (with lava reserves and Coal Coke back-up Generator), MFE, Electrolyzer, two Rotary Macerators, an Induction Furnace, a Centrifugal Extractor, a Singularity Compressor and a Rolling Machine(not shown). A pretty efficient processing center at the entrance/exit of my branch mine, and I think it looks pretty interesting as well.
    I want to see what kind of stuff the people who know what all these mods are actually capable of come up with. I need ideas for contraptions. It took me 4 days (real world) to figure out how to get this far, whats the best way to progress? Post your Screens and ideas.
    Last edited by Codiferus17: 1/5/2013 9:20:22 PM
    Does FTB include Equivalent Exchange? I played Tekkit for a while and it did, and there's a neat trick you can do in it.
    If you've got Equivalent Exchange, and an Energy Condenser, set it to produce Blaze Rods (worth a little over 1000 EMC). Once you've got a stack or so, leave one in so it keeps producing, and macerate the rest into blaze powder. You get 5 powder worth 500 EMC for each rod you macerate, which you can then put into the condenser to get more Blaze Rods. And then do it all over again. I got all my Red Matter stuff that way.
    Seriously, this is the best prank ever.
    First, tape streamers to the fan and/or air vents.
    Next place bubble wrap on the floor, right near the door.
    Then get a big box and fill it completely full of packing peanuts, and wait for your friend to arrive.
    When they walk through the door, you stab them in the neck with a knife.
    Looks great so far!
    Keep it up, and keep us updated with more!
    Forum Rules ->
    It looks great :D

Keep up the great work and keep us updated!
    Quote from Fjordn

Does FTB include Equivalent Exchange? I played Tekkit for a while and it did, and there's a neat trick you can do in it.
    If you've got Equivalent Exchange, and an Energy Condenser, set it to produce Blaze Rods (worth a little over 1000 EMC). Once you've got a stack or so, leave one in so it keeps producing, and macerate the rest into blaze powder. You get 5 powder worth 500 EMC for each rod you macerate, which you can then put into the condenser to get more Blaze Rods. And then do it all over again. I got all my Red Matter stuff that way.

The release version should have EE3, but the version I'm playing currently does not. It also is missing RedPower2, which is a little more concerning. I'm just using this world as a learning area so when RP2 gets updated/added and I have to regen the world I'll at least have an idea how I want to move through the tech trees and how I want to lay out machines, at least for Forestry, IC2, and BC which is pretty much what I'm focusing on learning.

Quote from interbrink

Looks great so far!
    Keep it up, and keep us updated with more!

Quote from davidp5118

It looks great :D

Keep up the great work and keep us updated!

Thanks, I'll try to throw up some pics of what I'm up to now and then. Today I tackled an Oil Refinery. Started with a ~30 block tall geyser (which I understand to be fairly huge). First time trying Combustion engines (fingers crossed). I have 2 running the Refinery, and one dedicated to the Oil Well (will probably tap it for some forestry machines as well). So far I've processed ~14 tanks of fuel (not including what I've burned), and have 21 tanks of oil in storage, just from pumping the geyser and surface oil. Took awhile to get it laid out and functioning and get the surface oil mess cleaned up and still have a moderate amount of terraforming to do.

And, I started playing with Bees in Forestry a bit. First Apiary House is a bit claustrophobic, but I had to do some experimenting to figure out the Marshy Bees like mushrooms as their flowers and figure out a way to plant them around the Apiaries as easily as possible. I like the look of it, just need to make it a bit bigger. Since bees are Biome specific, I think I'm going to build Apiary Houses with a theme that match the biome (Snow blocks for Snowy bees, for example).

That was pretty much it for today, and nothing really got finished, just roughed out. But pretty pleased with the progress. Probably spend tomorrow mining a lot to gather resources for a Quarry and Sorting System. Also have a neat idea for automated refueling of my Combustion engines around the Refinery.
    Doh!

Was doing really good about remembering to shut down the combustion engine power mill for the refinery/quarry whenever I was going far enough to possibly unload the chunks, right up until I forgot it once. Luckily I only lost one combustion engine, 5 redstone engines and a pump. Turns out it was a good idea to space the engines a small distance away from the refinery.

So I had to figure out a safer way to power the refinery/quarry so I could leave it running while I was off exploring/mining.

Decided to try using IC2 power for Buildcraft machines with electric engines. Played with water mills a bit, and wasn't happy with the production. It would take an obscene amount of water mills to provide the power I need. So I tried solar panels, and they were still a bit slow (even with 18 of them), and power drop off at night would be a problem. Tried combining the two and still wasn't very happy. So I bit the resource bullet and upgraded 10 solar panels to Advanced units (takes quite a bit of materials/work) but 5 of them hooked up to an MFE seem to do the job. So I can set up another similar array in another location to do some forestry automated farming. The 2 electric engines hooked to the refinery are enough to fully power it if upgraded by soldering a couple bronze electron tubes to some circuit boards and installing them, which boosts power consumption and output (but the upgrades are non-recoverable if you have to move the engines).

I came up with a nifty way to handle the excess crap the quarry produces as well. A single Recycler with a hopper and two overclocker upgrades seems to do a great job of turning junk into more useful junk. There's a small amount of excess, but an advanced insertion pipe just routes the excess cobble to a void pipe when the machine/hopper are full. So far this setup has netted almost 6 stacks of scrap for future UU-Matter production. This way my resource chests only have what I want.

Also did a little more work with the bees.

I have 4 units on the end that automatically keep producing resources and pure breed drones when I find something I like. The 8 apiarys on the sides are for manual cross breeding (plan to include SOME automation in this as well). Production is routed underground to two centrifuges for initial processing. I need to plan out some secondary processing (that's why the squeezers are there) so i can include automated processing of my breeding results. However, this setup was initially powered by combustion engines, but I promptly tore that out after the first one got jacked up. I have progressed up to some Industrious hybrids though, still trying to isolate it so I can produce some pure industrious drones to breed into my tropical breeds for fast string farming. I've already bred out the poison effect and the need for vines, in my tropical princesses. Haven't worked on it much since I built the initial layout though as I've been busy with the solar upgrades and trying to collect resources so I can set-up an assembly table facility, and start producing/storing enough energy to run a mass fabricator.

I did finally build myself a diamond drill, lap-pack, and electric jetpack though. I also want to start a micro-brewery side-project just for giggles. I now have 21 full tanks (and then some) of fuel along with a TON more oil and no idea whatsoever what to do with it.
    Last edited by Codiferus17: 11/22/2012 4:38:35 AM
    This I'm actually kind of proud of. Not because it's terribly difficult or complex, but because it's the first thing I've been able to build in FTB without out having to go on a wiki or find a video to figure out how everything works together.

The Industrial Diamond Machine:

Put in a stack (or more) of coal and out pop diamonds! Maybe it's kind of cheaty, but it's a hell of a lot of fun dumping in coal and watching the materials fly through the pipes as they progress towards diamonds. Automatically pulls out of an input chest, macerates, crafts, compresses, crafts, and compresses again, then outputs to a chest. All I have to do is make sure the automatic crafting tables are supplied with flint and obsidian (couldn't figure out how to automate that part).

Not very complex, but my first automated crafting system. And, diamonds...who can't use a few more blue shiny rocks?
    Last edited by Codiferus17: 11/24/2012 12:05:51 AM
    It looks very nice so far
    But if i can give you a tip: use the thermal expansion mod(which is in the FTB pack)
    This mod allows you to store buildcraft energy some sort of batbox
    By doing this, you won't waste any energy while your quarries are running
    Quote from Fjordn

That was an exploit. EE3 is under development at the time, and it will be a radical shift from EE2's condensers and such. That's if I recall correctly.

Anyways, it's looking nice! I'd say keep improving and expanding. Build a quarry next, and make an automatic ore processing facility that all the items get transported to. Once RedPower is released to the Mod Pack, that's when the huge jump in capabilities will occur.
    "Programmers never repeat themselves. They loop."
    Looks Great! Nice Job!

-MrrSwag
    What Chu' Lookin' At?
    How did you make "The Industrial Diamond Machine" ?
    Quote from robin009988

It looks very nice so far
    But if i can give you a tip: use the thermal expansion mod(which is in the FTB pack)
    This mod allows you to store buildcraft energy some sort of batbox
    By doing this, you won't waste any energy while your quarries are running

Any idea what the storage unit is called? As it sits I have quite an excess of refined fuel, but my quarry has been running on solar (there's pictures of the solar setup in a previous post), because I don't trust combustion engines without having safety systems installed (which I can do now).

Quote from BKrenz

That was an exploit. EE3 is under development at the time, and it will be a radical shift from EE2's condensers and such. That's if I recall correctly.

Anyways, it's looking nice! I'd say keep improving and expanding. Build a quarry next, and make an automatic ore processing facility that all the items get transported to. Once RedPower is released to the Mod Pack, that's when the huge jump in capabilities will occur.

Thanks. I've been working still. I've had a quarry running for awhile. I'm not sure I'm happy with the production, but I've been doing relatively small portions of land, usually just a couple chunks at a time. I fully plan on automating processing and sorting, but without logistics pipes for buildcraft and/or redpower, automated sorting would be a huge nightmare and resource sink.

Quote from MrrSwag

Looks Great! Nice Job!

-MrrSwag

Thanks.

Quote from GreeenSoldierr1

How did you make "The Industrial Diamond Machine" ?

It's very simple, actually. Just pumping the inventory from a chest to a Rotary Macerator, then to an auto crafting table, then a compressor, another auto crafter, and another compressor and finally into an output chest. 1 stack of coal, 8 flint, and one obsidian become 1 Diamond. I spent more time figuring out how to run the pipes to keep the room looking clean then I did on functionality. I still need to throw a few overclockers into the compressors to make it faster, but it works for now.

Can you believe this is the same room from the first post?

Spent all day (and most of last night), completely renovating. Started the project because I needed more centralized storage, and I was starting to feel cramped. Decided I might as well upgrade my power system, increase ore processing capability, and basically change everything while I was at it.

Upgraded to an MFSU that's charged by 8 advanced solar panels (64EU/t) and supplemented by two Geothermal generators and an elecrolyzer if needed. Installed another Induction furnace and rotary macerator and had to put transformer upgrades in almost everything, despite the MV transformer under the MFSU. Doubled my lava reserves, and upgraded to Iron pipe, purely for aesthetic purposes. Added a Recycler to my machine array as well.

32 Iron chests (for now), Stained glass (black) floor insert, hidden lighting behind the chests, but the room was a bit large for it so I added 6 illuminators as well. The two alcoves flanking the entrance are the access to my dropshaft/secondary industrial areas.

Down there is the industrial diamond machine, my Buildcraft machinery (rolling machine/assembly table, etc.. none of it is presentable yet, screenshots when I'm happy with the layout.), and automated slimeball farm (nothing to see, just auto-kills with an old-school lava blade and outputs to a chest) and my branch mine.
    Last edited by Codiferus17: 11/26/2012 12:35:03 AM
    The storage block is called "redstone energy cell''
    This block stores 500000 Mj energy
    Thermal expansion also comes with "redstone energy conduits"
    These are special gold pipes that have no energy loss :D

This is what the energy cell and the conduits look like:

and it's GUI

Last edited by robin009988: 11/26/2012 1:08:41 PM
    Quote from robin009988

The storage block is called "redstone energy cell''
    This block stores 500000 Mj energy
    Thermal expansion also comes with "redstone energy conduits"
    These are special gold pipes that have no energy loss :D

This is what the energy cell and the conduits look like:

Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that.

On a different note I was just running around exploring a bit looking for different landscapes and biomes. Only really found 2 points of interest on my 'continent' one was a nice little village generated in an autumn forest that looked pretty neat. The other was this:

As you can see it's almost a completely enclosed cove with sheer cliffs and jungle trees that go straight through the cloud layer. The pictures really don't do it a huge amount of justice. I already have some ideas of what i want to build out here. Definitely makes me not wan't to start from scratch once RP2 gets added to the pack. I'm thinking I'll just use mystcraft to generate new worlds with RP2 resources when the time comes.
    Wow, thanks for the tip about thermal expansion. Takes a bit of work and resources (finally a use for all that lead/silver laying around) to get them going but it really is handy.

Just built a simple system to automate the majority of the crafting for the pipes. I could, and probably will, completely automate the process but for now I just wanted to play with the components and upgrade a few existing systems.

The charging dock is pretty much specifically for using my fuel stores/combustion engines to charge the storage cells for my new portable quarry kit.

A full energy cell is more then enough to completely finish a standard 9x9 quarry running at full speed, which works out nicely as my shiny new OV Scanner scans a 9x9 area directly below you for ore deposits. Just walk around and look for a high reading, and drop the quarry when you find a nice spot, some simple sorting to only keep the goodies, and drop the storage cell. Come back in 10 minutes to collect the goods. and quickly break down the site and move on.

A definite improvement over setting up huge quarries that take forever just to justify building the infrastructure to power it and deal with the output.

Again, appreciate the input, my freind.
    Last edited by Codiferus17: 11/28/2012 1:56:25 AM
    Quote from Codiferus17

Wow, thanks for the tip about thermal expansion. Takes a bit of work and resources (finally a use for all that lead/silver laying around) to get them going but it really is handy.

Just built a simple system to automate the majority of the crafting for the pipes. I could, and probably will, completely automate the process but for now I just wanted to play with the components and upgrade a few existing systems.

The charging dock is pretty much specifically for using my fuel stores/combustion engines to charge the storage cells for my new portable quarry kit.

A full energy cell is more then enough to completely finish a standard 9x9 quarry running at full speed, which works out nicely as my shiny new OV Scanner scans a 9x9 area directly below you for ore deposits. Just walk around and look for a high reading, and drop the quarry when you find a nice spot, some simple sorting to only keep the goodies, and drop the storage cell. Come back in 10 minutes to collect the goods. and quickly break down the site and move on.

A definite improvement over setting up huge quarries that take forever just to justify building the infrastructure to power it and deal with the output.

Again, appreciate the input, my freind.

You're welcome, I am glad I could help
    Keep up the good work, and keep the updates coming :D

And one last thing about thermal expansion
    It has a device called the ''aqueous accumulator''
    this thing produces water for you, and if you place 2 water souces adjacent to it, it will produce a LOT
    Just hook it up to your combustion engines and they will never blow up :D
    the accumulator doesn't need any energy to run, and can supply 3 combustion engines with water

This is how you set it up:

Ahhh, so that's how to get the most out of it. I built one, and played with it a bit but the production seemed very slow, so I just used one of my old pumps to keep a 4 tank reserve filled. I had read it just needed to be 'near' as , many water sources as possible, didn't even think to submerge it. As it sits, I've got iron OR gates on all my engines that only let them run in the blue and yellow states, which works great. I don't mind the periodic cooldowns since they produce more MJ then I currently use and I can store what isn't being used, it just saves fuel.
    If I recall correctly, we're not getting much of anything done automatically easily without RedPower. Oh, how we've come to rely on it.
    "Programmers never repeat themselves. They loop."
    Been playing with Mystcraft a bit. Came up with an interesting room for my hub.

I really like the way the crystals give off a small amount of light. If anyone is old enough to have played the old Myst PC puzzle game I think the room matches the ambience of the game really well. Too bad I can't leave it this dark without risking enemy invasion...or maybe Ill just install a MFFS security station (or whatever module it is that kills mobs) in here. Also used some IC2 construction foam and a black painter. I like it.

Found a GIANT oil geyser while dimension hopping. Don't plan to do anything with it but cap'd it anyways.

Started messing with IC2 agriculture a bit too. It's a huge pain, but I wanted to try it out and see if I could get any of the interesting plant types. So far I've managed Stickroot and Ferru, but what I really want is hops and I haven't had any luck with that.

nice. keep doing this, i really want to have more cool ideas for survival machines :D
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes