Info and bugs about Pre-release of MC:Pi

So yesterday Mojang released an early version of MC:Pi for download, but got taken down.
    CrysisLTU thankfully uploaded it Here
    For those who are new and unfamiliar with the Raspberry Pi, heres how you install it:
    -Download the .tar.gz file onto your pi
    -Open up LxTerminal
    -Type in "tar -zxvf minecraft-pi-0.1.tar.gz"
    -Then type in "cd /home/pi/mcpi"
    -Now type in "./minecraft-pi"
    Have fun!

Info:
    -MC:Pi is very similar to MC:PE
    -You can only play in Creative
    -You use the normal minecraft controls and the mouse to play it
    -There are all blocks that there are in MC:PE, including the Netherstar
    -Unlike in MC:PE, Water can be placed, but it doesn't flow
    -Doors can be opened and closed
    -Paintings can be placed
    -There is an F5 mode, and a sound on/off button, otherwise no settings

Known bugs:
    -Using the bow will generate error messages and crash if you try to shoot an arrow
    -You sometimes glitch through blocks while flying
    -Bonemeal can't be used
    -Running MC:Pi by executing the file itself rather than from the Terminal only loads the game without images, and everything is whiteish
    -Often keys will get stuck and the character keeps going in one direction until you press the key again

Post any other things/bugs you know
    When I tried the command tar -zxvf minecraft-pi-0.1.tar.gx it gave me an error saying file not found. I look in the destination folder of the download and the .tar.gz file was named minecraf-pi-0.1.tar0.gz To fix that I just updated the command with the correct file name: minecraft-pi-0.1.tar0.gz.

Also be the orginal file that CrysisLTU posted does not work so look farther down in the thread for the updated file.

I am currently working on a list of bugs that I found while playing.

Here it is so far:

-chests can b placed but not opened
    -crafting table gui doe snot open
    -of you are walking and you open your inv, you keep walking
    -block place limit is 64
    -placed water will only flow if the block next to it is updated
    -looking at the leaves from far away and looking around will
    cause the leaves to flicker
    -sometimes when flying or decending after flying the camera will
    jerk up or down
    -when falling you may jump up a block if you normally could while
    walking
    -nether reactor core is in the game
    -having tho MPI windows open will cause error
    "sendto failed with code -1 for char 2 and length 25." in the second window
    -All windows will appear to be behind the game window
    Last edited by threebuddies: 12/27/2012 3:08:29 PM
    Bonemeal (right click) "does" work, sort of.
    - Used on saplings to grow trees, they remain trees when returning.
    - Grows melon stems, which remain as stems.
    - It grows wheat, but after you leave the game and return, that wheat is back to seedlings.
    - Bonemeal does NOT work on mushrooms (unless it needs to be darker, no giant shrooms).

I have not seen wheat or melons grow on their own. But if you plant melon seeds, grow stem with bonemeal, then place an adjacent melon, the stem connects to it.

Occasionally loses track of your coordinates, they momentarily change and change back which reflashes the screen. Happens much less often with gpu_mem=128 in /boot/config.txt, than default 64 MB gpu RAM. Pi also runs cooler w/gpu_mem=128 vs. 64.

While you cannot walk off the edge of the world, you can fly off of it. But don't worry if you get lost in the dark, restarting the game puts you back in the world.

F5 does nothing for me, but there are buttons to change view and sound on/off in Esc menu. Although, I hear no sound, so not sure if the early 0.1.0 alpha version has audio yet. I get sound in other X apps, like lxmusic.

Graphics may be directly to the gpu, because it does not work with ssh ForwardX11 (window comes up, but content is black).

Not sure if there is any way to tell fps, but it runs smoothly without overclocking.
    Quote from efflandt

Bonemeal (right click) "does" work, sort of.
    - Bonemeal does NOT work on mushrooms (unless it needs to be darker, no giant shrooms).

Giant mushrooms are not in Minecraft Pocket Edition, which Pi is based on.

Although, I hear no sound, so not sure if the early 0.1.0 alpha version has audio yet.

There were no sound files in the data files, and the executable is too small to contain raw PCM sound like Pocket Edition Android.

Graphics may be directly to the gpu

Exactly; it uses SDL to allocate a window, then draw on top of it with OpenGL ES 1.1.

Can someone hexedit the world saves from a Minecraft Pi world to see if you can get survival mode? A guide is at http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1198638-hex-editing-broken-down-explained/ . Go to the byte after the words GameMode, and change 01 to 00?
    Last edited by 500_Internal_Server_Error: 12/30/2012 2:48:42 PM
    There currently is no GameMode, but there is GameType which you can change from 01 to 00 and then the map shows as Survival. But the player is still in Creative mode. While there are mob skins in the graphics files, I did not see any mobs. I wonder if those can be controlled by external programming?

One difference is that when GameType is Creative, it is always bright daylight. In Survival it alternates between dreary dim light (like heavy overcast) and darkness (never bright daylight).
    Quote from efflandt

I did not see any mobs. I wonder if those can be controlled by external programming?

I tried forcing mob spawning in Creative, but I don't have a Pi to test the patch on. Can you please try?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1616253-please-help-me-test-my-minecraft-pi-edition-patch/
    Last edited by 500_Internal_Server_Error: 12/31/2012 12:19:42 AM
    Quote from BrambleclawO_O
    Now type in "./minecraft-pi"

When I do this without sudo it says you do not have permission to do this, yet when I do it with sudo it says that command can't be found D:
    ^The message is up there -.- ^

Bukkit Developer :D

So yesterday Mojang released an early version of MC:Pi for download, but got taken down.
    For those who are new and unfamiliar with the Raspberry Pi, heres how you install it:
    -Open up LxTerminal
    Have fun!

Info:
    -Paintings can be placed

Known bugs:
    -Using the bow will generate error messages and crash if you try to shoot an arrow
    -Bonemeal can't be used
    -Running MC:Pi by executing the file itself rather than from the Terminal only loads the game without images, and everything is whiteish
    -Often keys will get stuck and the character keeps going in one direction until you press the key again

Hi, I am new to this. I have managed to extract the .tar.gz file but once I get to the "./minecraft-pi" I get an error message saying something like "no such file or directory minecraft-pi" I discovered that the first download posted didnt work so I replaced it with the update but got the same message.

What should I do? What OS should I run this on or does i work on all linux?

Thanks,
    BobJohnson
    Last edited by BobJohnson: 1/5/2013 1:04:51 PM
    Quote from BobJohnson

Hi, I am new to this. I have managed to extract the .tar.gz file but once I get to the "./minecraft-pi" I get an error message saying something like "no such file or directory minecraft-pi" I discovered that the first download posted didnt work so I replaced it with the update but got the same message.

Thanks,
    BobJohnson

I run it on "whezzy" or how ever its spelled.

Did you you change the directory to /home/pi/mcpi before ./minecraft ?
    Quote from MrBluebear3

When I do this without sudo it says you do not have permission to do this, yet when I do it with sudo it says that command can't be found D:

I think it's because has to be flagged executable. You can do that by typing in the terminal "chmod +x ./minecraft-pi". And maybe you'll need all the files be executable. Try "man chmod"
    Try extracting with the GUI instead of terminal. See my how-to post in the pi section.
    The Woofus is hungry!

-Open up LxTerminal
    Have fun!

Info:
    -Paintings can be placed

Known bugs:
    -Bonemeal can't be used

a few things are different than i played and discovered

1. water DOES float, but there must be a block update at the side of the water block.
    2. no bugs found in bow, no error messages, and i can shoot.
    3. bonemeal CAN used, no problems expiried with.
    Quote from BobJohnson

Thanks,
    BobJohnson

uhh... i only know that you only can execute this in pi(don't know if its true!)
    and first of all, go to your directory where you have your minecraft-pi file.
    example code:
    cd /home/pi/mcpi

than, execute it.
    code:
    ./minecraft-pi.

that should work.(works for me)
    My mouse only works in MC partial on the screen
    (Can't access about 10cm on the lower end of the screen and about 20cm on the right end of the tv (when standing in front of it)

In Raspbian i can fully use the mouse on the whole screen, once in Minecraft i can't, when going lower the cursor changes to the xwindow cursor.

Any solution?

[EDIT]

Seems it happens when i set the window to full screen
    So for now playing windowed is the only solution :)
    Last edited by DjoeNtje: 2/14/2013 10:40:13 AM
    Signs do not work you can place them but there is no way to edit them.
    Anyone knows how to change the keys?

I have an AZERTY keyboard and raspbian is setup for azerty, So would love to change the keys to move around :)
    Quote from joppiesaus

uhh... i only know that you only can execute this in pi(don't know if its true!)
    and first of all, go to your directory where you have your minecraft-pi file.
    example code:
    cd /home/pi/mcpi

than, execute it.
    code:
    ./minecraft-pi.

that should work.(works for me)

i have the same problem and this didn't work. file /minecraft-pi says that it exists and is executable, but every time i try to run it, an error message pops up saying "file or directory doesn't exist". I'm starting to get frustrated and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by colton_baby: 3/2/2013 6:30:10 PM
    When i run " ./minecraft-pi " i get an error saying:
    "Coulden't initazlise SDL."
    And i can't play :steve_tearful:
    Last edited by techlevel: 5/5/2013 7:32:05 AM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes